Boardman CX Owners Thread

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,691
    Veronese68 wrote:
    ... and both groups wish they'd bought a Volagi. ;-)

FTFY :wink:
    :lol:
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Quick question, does anyone know the seat post diameter on the older version of this bike?
    Edit: Found it, 31.6
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • Can anyone point me in the direction of a replacement mech hanger for a boardman cx comp?

Thanks
  • relik
    relik Posts: 13
    Not sure if anyone is interested, but I stripped the 2012 CX down to sell and weighed the medium frame (Inc FSA BB30 bearings and hanger) between 1800 & 1900g. It was difficult to balance on the kitchen scales :) Lighter than I expected.

I had a change of heart in the end and kept the frame with a view to having it stripped down and repainted as a future project.

Antsmithmk, I don't know the exact one you would be after, but check Gearmechhanger.co.uk. I got one for the 2012 model from there. High quality.
  • antsmithmk wrote:
    Can anyone point me in the direction of a replacement mech hanger for a boardman cx comp?

Thanks

If you struggle, Tweet Chris Boardman - he has sorted me out with one before now.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    antsmithmk wrote:
    Can anyone point me in the direction of a replacement mech hanger for a boardman cx comp?

Thanks

If you struggle, Tweet Chris Boardman - he has sorted me out with one before now.

Lord Boardman of Cycling, you mean
    I suppose your tweets might not reach him though.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    antsmithmk wrote:

Thanks

Lord Boardman of Cycling, you mean
    I suppose your tweets might not reach him though.

When I struggled to get a hanger for my CX, I tweeted him. I got an email an hour later and one of his "people" took my details and a free hanger turned up a couple of days later.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I've tried searching for an answer, but this is a long thread! I've got a Boardman CX Team which I want to turn into an off road climbing beast (I live in Wales - it's very hilly) by fitting a mtb chainset 2x10 (42/28) - rather than fitting a bigger cassette, (which would also involve a mtb 10 speed rear mech). Can this be done and has anyone done it? will I need BB spacers and will there be issues with chainline and front mech? Any replies appreciated. Cheers. Jon
  • mr-b
    mr-b Posts: 6
    Firstly, in case anyone is waiting to pull the trigger, there's 15% off all Boardman bikes @ Halfords currently until next Wed. It does say it's not available with other offers or vouchers though.

Secondly, an update on the ongoing (lack of) front fork eyelets situation after Boardman advised me a while back that new stock would have the eyelets. I really wanted these as I hadn't yet heard of any full guards being able to be fitted without eyelets.

Halfords cust services originally claimed no knowledge of the change and advised me, in the absence of them being able to find out, to just order one and see (as I was under no obligation to purchase)! Of course when it arrived at the store it had no eyelets. :-(

Now they have confirmed that new stock with eyelets is coming through to the warehouse, and are trying to find when the old stock will be exhausted and the new ones filter through. Will update on any news I hear.
  • newtonuk
    newtonuk Posts: 134
    Brilliant news!
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6 (2014)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • Dazza
    Dazza Posts: 7
    I have a 2014 cx comp.

Could someone verify if the frame is 135mm. I'm wanting a spare set of wheels.

Ta.
    I\'m only wearing black until they invent a darker colour
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Dazza wrote:
    I have a 2014 cx comp.

Ta.
    Why not measure it if you have one...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Dazza
    dhope wrote:
    Dazza wrote:
    I have a 2014 cx comp.

Ta.

What do I measure? The rear drop outs? Wheel in or out?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Yes, it is 135mm
  • Dazza
    apreading wrote:
    Yes, it is 135mm

Thank you.
  • Dazza wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Dazza wrote:
    I have a 2014 cx comp.

Ta.

What do I measure? The rear drop outs? Wheel in or out?

Wheel out. Measure between inside faces of drop-outs. Should be slightly more than 135, allowing a few mm for frame flex when you clamp the QR up.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • mr-b
    Update from Halfords - the front fork eyes for mudguards should be shipping around mid to late Dec.
    They wouldn't honour the old deal that I bought under (since the bike is as advertised), so I'll just have to wait until they have another discount on, or of course some other CX contender takes my eye!
  • newtonuk
    newtonuk wrote:
    Quick update from Halfords CS on replacement forks...

"they are not expected into until 18th December, I apologize this is a few months away but unfortunately i have no control over the delivery dates for your new forks."

However, they had previously said that bikes with the new forks are in the distribution centre, so anyone ordering new stock should receive that model.
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • koontz
    koontz Posts: 119
    I thought they were going to let's us swap are old forks for the new?.
  • newtonuk
    I bloody hope so after chasing Boardman and then Halfords for a year over them!
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • mr-b
    I asked whether I could take the bike now and then get the forks swapped later and they said I'd have to pay for the new forks (£100+) as I'd have accepted the bike as it stood. :-(
  • newtonuk
    When I bought the bike it was advertised as fully mudguard compatible, which eventually it turned out it wasn't when neither Halfords nor Boardman were able to provide mudguards that fit. In the meantime, I had used the bike. Boardman subsequently changed their website removing references to mudguards.
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • bigmul
    bigmul Posts: 208
    Someone please help. I did around 70km on the CX yesterday (on road) and the bike creaked every single pedal stroke - driving me nuts. I'm pretty sure it's the seat post / saddle, I've greased the inside of the frame and seat post but nothing.

Is there an easy fix? I'm using a Deda alloy deatpost and Ti Flite saddle - please help!
  • ic.
    Quick things to check:

(Use carbon assembly paste if you have some, it's not just for carbon)

Remove saddle, grease/paste rails then re-attach and torque
    Same for seat post
    Same for Stem bolts to handlebar
    Same for bottle cage bolts
    Check/tighten chainring bolts
    Remove pedals, cleans grease (generously) the threads then re-attach

Hope it helps.

PS. Very jealous you found time for 70km so close to xmas :)

The departed:

Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cube Streamer - stolen
  • Bubaloo
    Bubaloo Posts: 14
    Slipping Chain

I have had my CX from new now for over 18 months and had issues with the chain slipping under power so replaced it with a KMC X10 93 (114 link chain + quicklink) which I put on a direct replacement. As far as I could count the original has 114 links but someone correct me if I'm counting wrongly.

Chain still slipped under power on the larger cassete rings.

Went to Halfords and have had them replace the original SRAM PG-1050 11-32 cassette with a new one, albeit a PG-1050 11- 36 version (one question, this bike is a pure commuter/tourer now, would I ever meet a hill that would require a 36 rear cog! or should I ask Halfords to actually source a direct replacement as asked?)

Anyway on bike today and the chain is still slipping under power, could this be an issue with the front 50 tooth cog? I am not sure as to the signs of wear, what should I be looking for?

I must say that the bike has served me really well as a commuter, done a fair few miles on it now...
  • ic.
    Rear mech adjustment? Could it be it's jumping cogs up or down and not actually slipping in the true sense of the word. I can't think of any reason a new chain on a new cassette would slip

And a 36t is ridiculous! You could climb a wall on that.

The departed:

Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cube Streamer - stolen
  • Bubaloo
    IC. Would you know how many links the original KMC chain has?
    And I'll see if the can replace the cassette with a 11-32 as originally equipped.
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    When you put the new chain on, how long did you run it before replacing the cassette? If its the chainring and you suspect the 50T, try making it slip using the inner 34T
  • Bubaloo
    It was a matter of a day or two, 40 odd miles maybe. I'll give the 34T a go now...
  • Bubaloo
    Chain issues

I think we (OK Nick from Halfords) have landed on the front 50T chainring being the issue (quite worn!)

Anyhow, I have had a SRAM 12-32 cassette put on now and the only front ring that Halfords can seem to do a web-order on (40% odd discount) is a 52T chainring.

I could source a 50T off my own bat but realistically will a 52T radically alter the set up or ride dynamics (noting that the 114 link chain that I have bought is not going to get any bigger...

Got to say that I can't fault the service/input from Nick of Halfords-Guildford.