Boardman CX Owners Thread

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    tell him what he should of bought EKE.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    cwhitford wrote:
    A hell of a lot of stuff.
    That is a massive amount of changes. Why didn't you just buy a bike you liked and that fit you in the first place?
    Where's the fun in that? :D The only thing that's original on my Tempo is the frame.
    I'm all for customisation/personalisation of your bike, but look at the list!
    Tyres, stem, brake levers, brake calipers, wheels, cassette, stem, seat post and saddle.
    And after all that, the frame still isn't the right size (which can't be changed).

The £100 saved on the initial purchase has been spent many times over, mostly not on upgrades, but on trying to get comfortable.
    Yeah, but now he just needs to buy another frame and he's pretty much got a new bike. Maybe it's the new bike by stealth plan. Or, yeah, maybe he just bought the wrong thing.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope
    rubertoe wrote:
    tell him what he should have bought EKE.
    Rhymes with Schmaffenschmack schmoo?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    dhope wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    tell him what he should have bought EKE.
    Rhymes with Schmaffenschmack schmoo?
    A colleague bought a bike for work and his criteria was very similar to mine (he wanted Ultegra rather than Tiagra). It cost him £400 more than the Schmaffenschmack and that is before upgrading the calipers to BB7s and sticking reflectives all over the frame.

I've given up saying it and now only think "you've bought the wrong bike." At least he bought the right size though!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM
    Planet X have brought out an alu framed, carbon forked, disc braked (BB7) road bike with mudguard eyelets & pannier mounts and SRAM Rival 22 groupset for under a grand.
    Planet X are coming out swinging with this bike.
    CBPXLDNRIV_P1.jpg
    I don't like the inboard rear brake caliper, but I can understand why they did it.

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    All rear calipers should be inboard EKE - makes it easier to fit a rack and guards

That colour is horrible though.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • dhope
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Planet X have brought out an alu framed, carbon forked, disc braked (BB7) road bike with mudguard eyelets & pannier mounts and SRAM Rival 22 groupset for under a grand.
    Planet X are coming out swinging with this bike.
    CBPXLDNRIV_P1.jpg
    I don't like the inboard rear brake caliper, but I can understand why they did it.
    Yep, looks really good value. Dare I say it probably better value than the one I'm waiting on. Bet it'd arrive sooner too :roll:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    rubertoe wrote:
    All rear calipers should be inboard EKE - makes it easier to fit a rack and guards

That colour is horrible though.
    I got heel strike on the bikes I've ridden with inboard calipers.

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I got heel strike on the bikes I've ridden with inboard calipers.

Did they have straight chainstays though? I never had it with the Boardmans which have chainstays that flare out towards the wheel.
  • ara3791
    ara3791 Posts: 378
    Just purchased a 2012 cx team off of ebay. Not delivered yet. As the bike is new, does anyone know what the ritchey tyres are that come as standard on the bike. I'm already thinking of upgrading to a set of Conti cyclocross speed folding tyres as most of my riding will be commuting and gravel surface. Is this a worthy upgrade over the ritchey tyres?
  • bigmul
    bigmul Posts: 208
    I've got Conti CX Speed folding a on at the moment, perfect for gravel commuting, slightly slower for mainly road through.
  • looking for a slightly shorter stem for my 2014 CX, going down to 100mm - what is the sizes that I need for the bar and the stem and rise angle?
    Trek Top Fuel 9.9 - Fuji CX 1.1 - Trek Boone 7 Disc - Room for 1 more
  • ara3791 wrote:
    Just purchased a 2012 cx team off of ebay. Not delivered yet. As the bike is new, does anyone know what the ritchey tyres are that come as standard on the bike. I'm already thinking of upgrading to a set of Conti cyclocross speed folding tyres as most of my riding will be commuting and gravel surface. Is this a worthy upgrade over the ritchey tyres?

Mine came with Ritchey Excavader. Puncture easily.
  • ara3791 wrote:

Mine came with Ritchey Excavader. Puncture easily.
    Yes, my first ride with my brand new Ritchey Excavaders was on a Tarmac cycle track and punctured after 20 miles!
  • £100 off at Halfords today, was hoping this would combine with the 10% code that was around yesterday and my BC membership but the code isn't working. It it was I couldn't say no, for basically £650. But at over £700 I am still toying between the CX and a Caadx or even Planet X XLS.
  • The xls is apparently a great ride, as there are so postings on this thread somewhere, however it has no rack or mudguard mounts so will require a bodge.

The PX Al seems like a great deal.
  • koontz
    koontz Posts: 119
    Anyone know were i can get the 'gromets' that hold the cables to the frame, One has gone missing and I am using cable ties which work well but would prefer the cleaner look of the gromet.
  • koontz wrote:
    Anyone know were i can get the 'gromets' that hold the cables to the frame, One has gone missing and I am using cable ties which work well but would prefer the cleaner look of the gromet.

Do you mean the little 'C' shaped plastic clips - in theory Halfords sells them, though you may need to order them as they are often all out on the shelves
  • Hi All,

has anyone ever fitted a Hamax child seat to a Boardman team CX frame. Will it take it without buckling?

am worried it'll fail expensively as it's a triple butted frame so must have pretty thin seat tube. also my little un is not that little at all and loves to bounce on the child seat. and am not that little myself either!

any experience from others needed.
  • Had this email from Boardman last week:

Heard back from Halfords HO today & it now seems they have stock in their distribution centre with the updated forks. So any future stock landing & going out will have these updates.
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6 (2014)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    What updated forks? Do they have mudguard mounts again?
  • I have fitted to a boardman ht pro, and had no issues. I realise not the same bike but it should be ok
  • apreading wrote:
    What updated forks? Do they have mudguard mounts again?

Ah, yes, I realise that the extract from the email is out of context... Yes, the mail refers to mudguard mounts on the forks.
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6 (2014)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • bigmul
    Anyone know the seat clamp size needed for the CX Team? I was tightening the seat post tonight and the bolt started to slip and don't want to push it any more.

Ta
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    34.9 IIRC. Somebody will confirm.
  • koontz
    On the subject of sizes, anyone know what size I would need for a shorter stem the diameter, Iam looking at maybe a 90mm one not huge difference.
  • koontz wrote:
    On the subject of sizes, anyone know what size I would need for a shorter stem the diameter, Iam looking at maybe a 90mm one not huge difference.

31.8 for the standard bars.
  • koontz
    Quick question, just got the kinesis v3 wheels on my boardman team 2014, and at first I used the spacer its 10 speed and couldnt get the lowest gear so thought I didnt need it, took the spacer off and have set gears up again and it seems fine, so do I need the spacer?????.
  • bigmul
    I have same wheels and used spacer. I didn't use the SRAM cassette though, I put an Ultegra 12-30 on instead, the locking may be different?
  • koontz
    I guess if it works leave it, I presume because its a wifli cassette its probably larger than normal, so similar to 11 speed?.