Boardman CX Owners Thread

Comments

• Anyone here using suicide/ interupter levers, if so what do you think as I am thinking of getting a set.

If there is a set going cheap I may well be intetested.

Thanks
  • koontz
    koontz Posts: 119
    Strange had a nightmare putting the vitoria 28mm tyres on new kinesis wheels, but today thought I would try to put on tyres from road bike 23mm vitorias,I thought no chance would these fit if the 28s were such a problem but they went on so much easier than the 28's only needed 1 tyre lever. So my conclusion is the 28 vitorias are just cheap crap, I even struggled to put the 28s on my road bike wheels 501s?.
  • bigmul
    bigmul Posts: 208
    I had some wire bead Vittorias that were a nightmare to fit too, but since then used Schwalbe and Conti folding bead tyres and no problems on either road or CX wheels
  • marcusww
    marcusww Posts: 202
    Anyone know what a good front mech upgrade would be on a Boardman CX Team 2014?
    Can you use shimano or is it best to stick with SRAM apex or rival?
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    Marcusww wrote:
    Anything will be better than the Microshift front mech, I would choose Rival or 105, both will work fine
  • bigmul
    Marcusww wrote:

I use a Shimano 105 (5600) front mech. New old stock from ebay, same pull ratios so works a charm and less than £20.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    I've been looking at the CX Team for a while now and yesterday saw Halfords doing a 10% deal, so, went in this morning and ordered one and paid £720 with BCF discount. Not as cheap as some deals, but low enough for a decent bike.

I was seen to by two young ladies who looked a little confused at times, and they were doing a bit of spannering at the time so I presume one of them will be assembling my bike...see how it works out.

I have two nice road bikes (Synapse and Canyon), but will be using this for trips around the local waterpark, a bit of snow cycling and practicing my one handed wheelies!

Anyway, pleased to have joined the 'CX club', I'll let you know how it goes.
  • mr-b
    mr-b Posts: 6
    Hi 6wheels, does the new CX now have front fork mudguard eyelets as mentioned earlier?

Also has anyone ever seen the CX in a small frame size? No Halfords stores seem to have it to view.
  • newtonuk
    newtonuk Posts: 134
    Quick update from Halfords CS on replacement forks...

"they are not expected into until 18th December, I apologize this is a few months away but unfortunately i have no control over the delivery dates for your new forks."

However, they had previously said that bikes with the new forks are in the distribution centre, so anyone ordering new stock should receive that model.
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6 (2014)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • 6wheels
    mr-b wrote:
    Hi 6wheels, does the new CX now have front fork mudguard eyelets as mentioned earlier?

Also has anyone ever seen the CX in a small frame size? No Halfords stores seem to have it to view.

Well, in a word ...no.

I thought that they were coming with front fork eyelets, so was a bit confused when I couldn't find them! Considering I picked mine up last Wednesday,I think someone is telling porkies. I was going to make a couple of clips to slide over the q/r but may hold out for the new forks.

So far, I've had to adjust the headset bearings (very loose), brakes ( back disc rubbing badly), put a new front derailleur cable on because the other was frayed ... below the clamp. In fact, someone had installed it incorrectly which not only damaged the cable but also made shifting the FD very difficult (stiff). The front caliper was also loose, really loose.

I'll take tyres off and check the rim tape is covering all of the rim as my only two punctures in the last three years have been caused by damaged tape.

Also, the rear mech looks as though it's a bit on the slant.
  • newtonuk
    Hi 6wheels, was the bike in stock in the store or did they have to order it in for you?
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • 6wheels
    newtonuk wrote:
    Hi 6wheels, was the bike in stock in the store or did they have to order it in for you?

I went in to the store on the Monday and picked it up on the Wednesday, there were non of the CX Team on display.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    So we dont know if they ordered it in or it was out the back in the stock room in a box for some time.
  • 6wheels
    apreading wrote:
    So we dont know if they ordered it in or it was out the back in the stock room in a box for some time.

I'm pretty sure that it was ordered in, but I have to pop in tomorrow and will ask the question.
  • 6wheels
    Can confirm that the bike was ordered in from central stores . Also, I asked the manager about the fork replacement, but he didn't know anything about it.
  • scottarm
    scottarm Posts: 119
    If anyone is looking for a CX I'm selling mine

viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=12994013
  • koontz
    koontz Posts: 119
    Question do tyres make a difference?, I know this is a very random question. What I mean is do 2 the same width say 25mm 700mm tyres from different manufacturers effect the bike. At the moment I have cheapo vittoria £10.00 tyres on my bike and was thinking of getting some better=more expensive tyres, would this make much of a difference to the ride quality, speed??.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    koontz wrote:
    Question do tyres make a difference?, I know this is a very random question. What I mean is do 2 the same width say 25mm 700mm tyres from different manufacturers effect the bike. At the moment I have cheapo vittoria £10.00 tyres on my bike and was thinking of getting some better=more expensive tyres, would this make much of a difference to the ride quality, speed??.

Quite probably. Go for a tyre with a higher TPI (threads per inch) will tend to give a more compliant ride and be quicker. There are loads of differing (and often competing) considerations: good grip tends to mean a softer compound and therefore faster wear. Puncture resistance trends to make the tyre stiffer and less compliant. Compromises everywhere. I depends a bit what you're hoping for. But spending more than a tenner will usually give benefits in most departments.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bob7896
    bob7896 Posts: 18
    Hello All,
    I have the older verison of the Boardman CX. 2009 ish. I need a new axle for the front wheel, (Not the QR skewer, this is part of the hub) I have tried contacting Halfords and the person there seems to have done everything he can contacting people at head office, but they can't seem to get hold of exactly the correct one, but has said the 9mm one they sell may fit. Has anyone managed to get a new axle?
    I am also looking at new pair of wheels, so sugestions for that would be useful. Around the £300 mark? but I would like to also repair my current wheel if possible too.
  • apreading
    If you want to repair your front wheel then I would suggest: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... p-prod3308 Much better hub, if you cant build the wheels around that yourself then it wouldnt cost much to get someone else to.

Kinesis Crosslight are the best factory wheelset, or for £300 you could get handbuild Novatec hubs and Archetype rims.
  • newtonuk wrote:
    Hi Gazza1000, I was told that they would replace the entire bike when the new stock became available, in about 5-6 weeks time. I hope so because after 4 miles the brake cables are already cutting into the forks!
    Where do you stand with this my cables have cut into the forks too on my boardman?
  • apreading
    Noticed that my cables were starting to wear the forks and put some helicopter tape over it asap. Have lost some of the grey surface paint but confident it never started to cut into the carbon fibre.
  • newtonuk
    timboellis wrote:
    newtonuk wrote:
    Hi Gazza1000, I was told that they would replace the entire bike when the new stock became available, in about 5-6 weeks time. I hope so because after 4 miles the brake cables are already cutting into the forks!
    Where do you stand with this my cables have cut into the forks too on my boardman?

Well, I wasn't returning my bike because of that particular issue. My bike had the crack in the seat tube junction and the bike was replaced without issue.

I have subsequently used helicopter tape to protect this area.
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Commuted for the first time today on my new (2nd hand) CX Team. Bought "How Far Is Too Far's" off him in the Classifieds. Top bloke, top bike, heavy as a mule but it's good training surely?? :)

Seeing as I'm now a Boardman CX owner, can I join the fun? Is there an initiation?
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    IC. wrote:
    Is there an initiation?
    Not really, just a period of buyer's remorse when you find out about the Planet X Kaffenback.

This period doesn't last that long though as you move straight on to defending your poor purchase to Kaffenback owners.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • bigmul
    While the Kaffenback owners remain adamant that their bike isn't actually made from scaffold poles...
  • newtonuk
    Who's defending what to where?
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    ... and both groups wish they'd bought a Kinesis. ;-)
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Veronese68 wrote:
    ... and both groups wish they'd bought a Kinesis. ;-)
    I'll dispute the wish for a Kinesis in 6 months time when my Canyon ships :roll:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    ... and both groups wish they'd bought a Volagi. ;-)

FTFY :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH