Boardman CX Owners Thread

Comments

• bigmul
    bigmul Posts: 208
    Being married I know exactly what's being said!!!
  • upsfon
    upsfon Posts: 13
    Guys,
    What's the seatpost length on CX Pro 2013 in size M?
    350 mm? 400 mm?
    Thanks.
    ======
    Found myself:
    It is 31.6 / 350 mm
  • koontz
    koontz Posts: 119
    Don't know if this has been posted, but halfords have bought boardman bikes for around £15000000, this cant be good news for the boardman range if halfords are the owners, I expect standards to get even lower, Previous to this boardman owned the brand and just sold to halfords exclusively.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27705600
  • CWAUK
    CWAUK Posts: 1
    Hi

I picked up my CX team yesterday and went for a short ride to try it out. I really loved it. I do have an issue with the brakes because they are really spongy. I took it back to the store and the guys there can't figure it out. Can anyone tell me if they have had a similar problem or does any have any opinions on these brakes? Should I upgrade them and if so which components should I upgrade?
  • cmt
    cmt Posts: 65
    The BB5's can be fiddly to set up, but once you have the methodology right they become a lot easier.

http://www.ecovelo.info/2011/04/15/a-fo ... sc-brakes/

That said i upgraded mine to some TRP Spyre SLC's and its a huge improvement.
  • koontz
    You want to get the caliper aligned so the inboard pad, Is as close to the rotar as posdible . then adjust the cable so the outboard pad is as near as possible, took me a while but when you have it right they work well.
  • rpaul
    rpaul Posts: 23
    bigmul wrote:
    Being married I know exactly what's being said!!!

Same here. Didn't even pose for a second to take it in :)
  • So im looking at getting one of these, but after looking through a few pages the boardman seems to be steeped with problems, like spongey brakes, cracked paint and the bottom bracket. Is this all current for the 2014 model? And if you had the choice, would you buy this bike again or consider something different?
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    So im looking at getting one of these, but after looking through a few pages the boardman seems to be steeped with problems, like spongey brakes, cracked paint and the bottom bracket. Is this all current for the 2014 model? And if you had the choice, would you buy this bike again or consider something different?
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • bigmul
    So im looking at getting one of these, but after looking through a few pages the boardman seems to be steeped with problems, like spongey brakes, cracked paint and the bottom bracket. Is this all current for the 2014 model? And if you had the choice, would you buy this bike again or consider something different?

I have one and would buy again. However, that wasn't paying list price though. Currently you can get one with 10% off and then the BC 10% off on top of that. For what you get I don't think you'll do better.
  • rpaul
    rpaul Posts: 23

I was gonna buy a CX Team literally last week, had one reserved at local Halfords and all that. Both bikes they've had there, had cracked paintwork. I walked away, the issue is still there, and they are still flogging them despite admitting that people have complained. The cracks are inconspicuous unless you know what you're looking for.

If you google Halfords' discounts, you'll find recipes to get as much as 33% off (BC, Quidco, discounted gift vouchers and current 10% off road bikes). Finding another Apex bike for that little, don't think it's possible.
    But I ended up ordering a Raleigh RC Comp, also Apex, but full (no Microshift in the front) with BB7 brakes. So a slightly better spec, with a 25% discount at Wiggle going for £900 - Boardman's list price.
    But I haven't got it yet, so the jury is still oot.
  • evo456
    evo456 Posts: 11
    koontz wrote:
    Ok fitted new bb7 brake to rear, had a right problem setting it up right. Went exactly to the avid instructions loose bolts press brake lever and re-tighten, The disc would always end up scraping the actual caliper, eventually did it by eye and got it near perfect no brake drag and really tight on the brakes, I think with the instructions they are 'presuming' that your brake mount points are exactly perfect so if they are a couple of mils out it wont work. I also found that when doing up the quick release this made a huge difference as the stays are brought closer together, anyway sorted for now but word of warning sure try the avid way first you may get lucky but if it doesnt work use your eye.

Found the same, I think part of the problem is that the calliper is mounted on the chain stay and the way the outer cable has to go 'round' and into the calliper body- this exerts a force on the calliper body making it difficult to finely line up using the Avid way as the rotor does have some 'give' and flexes. Another way is to not connect up the cables, loose bolts, dial the inner pad to half way or 2/3s across (depends on preference), then dial in the outer pad until it clamps to the rotor tight making sure you put a bit of pressure so that the calliper sits on the frame mounts as flush as possible. Bolt up tightly, alternating between the two bolts. Dial out completely the outboard pad, and the inboard by 3-4 clicks, then work the inboard pad as close as possible- dont forget to pull the torque arm a few to ensure pad is seated correctly. Repeat for outboard pad, then connect up the cable, fine tune cable tension with inline barrel adjusters.
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    Just as an update to an earlier post....I have managed to find Kinesis Cross light CX disk wheels on eBay being sold by Highonbikes. They did have 4 pairs.... Now down to 3....
  • bigmul
    How much?

Edit - found it! 269.99
  • koontz
    Fatbirds now have shimano back in stock £259.99, a little pricey for me. How much better are they than the stock 2014 mavics for on the road, Im using this bike as road bike now and could do with losing a few pounds and not just of me.

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/954929/produc ... imano.aspx
  • antsmithmk
    No idea as only just purchased but at the claimed 1600g a pair they are about half the weight of the wheels the CX comp comes with!!!

I am going to run 25mm GP 4 seasons on the cross lights and I have some carbon clinchers for racing. Means I can swap the bike from CX to road winter trainer in a flash.
  • bigmul
    Anyone know where cheapest for BB7's at the moment?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683
    How can there be 100 pages dedicated to a mass market cross bike?

Mind you, there is an Austin Allegro owner's club. http://www.allegroclubint.org.uk/
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    bigmul wrote:
    Probably bikediscount.de although Chain Reaction are also pretty cheap.

IMHO you should be looking at the TRP Spyres instead though, lighter, better design and only a little more expensive.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821

Because it is not actually that good so needs customising?
    New brakes, new wheels, new cables etc.

And who can forget the cracking paintwork.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    At least it isnt about the hybrid pro....
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    TimothyW wrote:
    bigmul wrote:
    Probably bikediscount.de although Chain Reaction are also pretty cheap.

IMHO you should be looking at the TRP Spyres instead though, lighter, better design and only a little more expensive.

Have the SLC Spyres on the Planet X but I'm still at the setting up stage so can't comment on them yet but I think there's a shortage of the standard ones at the moment,Freeborn told me that they would be getting some in later in July but that some of those were back orders(they didn't have them listed as out of stock though :roll: );but they did me a good deal on the slc's as I wanted to get the Planet X built.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:

Because it is not actually that good so needs customising?
    New brakes, new wheels, new cables etc.

And who can forget the cracking paintwork.

Oi!

What do you mean, I've only replaced the tyres, saddle, stem, shifters, FD, RD, cables, rim tape? And added mudguards, fitted new wheel bearings, bottom bracket (x2) freehub? Oh hang on..... :lol:
  • antsmithmk
    Just fitted the crosslights CX wheels, needed a bit of a play about to line up the pads. Rear wheel is 500g lighter than the standard rear. Front seemed to be about the same weight bizarrely. Taking out for a shakedown in 30 mins
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Yeah, the old cross lights were 500g lighter than the Ritcheys and the new cross lights are 200g lighter than that. The rear hub is where most weight will be noticed, the aluminium free hub wil be a chunk of that but is softer than the steel free hub on the originals and you will see some marking over time from the cassette. Should last a while but Alu turns it into a consumable eventually
  • tomlyner
    tomlyner Posts: 3
    Another person here on the fence about whether to buy one of these. If it weren't for what I've read on here I'd have bought months ago!

Do you, collectively, have an idea about what proportion of 2014 CX Teams have the cracked paint issue as of now? Obviously you'd get more people reporting cracks than not, but if I were to order one to a store how many times would I expect have to send bad ones back? Once? Twice? Three times and I'd be really unlucky?!
  • bigmul
    I actually have one with cracked paint and I accepted it like that. I put a clear sticker over the crack and that's it. It's a crack in the paint, not the frame. I got extra discount for taking as was and decided that day ok with me.

So far I've had it around 8 months without issue. You pays your money etc...
  • apreading
    Are they still coming without lugs for mudguards on the front forks? I cant believe they dropped that on the 2014 model. All in all, if you can find an older model I would go for that in a shot - no cracking paint and better forks and I think it looks nicer. I think there are still the odd few around.
  • cmt
    cmt Posts: 65
    True about the older model.

Halfords still have three that i know of. One of them is in Ashton-under-Lyne.

Its a 'large' 2012/2013 model, but for some reason has the 2014 wheels on it, so good for a bit of haggling. SHould be able to get it for £550 after discounts.
  • apreading
    19% off the CX until 2pm this afternoon - plus another 10% if you are in British Cycling...