Boardman CX Owners Thread

Comments

• cmt
    cmt Posts: 65
    Sorry, My bad (Should have read your sig!)

Unsure on the sizes, but sure i have a link to them on my works machine as i was comparing them before i decided i wanted the older model.
  • koontz
    koontz Posts: 119
    Getting the creaking noise again, pretty sure its not bottom bracket as took chain of and there is no play in it and runs smooth as. I suspect its the crank bolts so have cleaned greased and reinstalled we shall see.
  • bigmul
    bigmul Posts: 208
    Mine was making a creaking noise while offroad the other day, I've just taken the chainset off and re-greased it too. Starting to be really really annoying....
  • Viking2136
    Viking2136 Posts: 116
    Been trying to get a reply from Halfords re 4x BB gone in 4 months - no reply to 5 emails so far - surprise - its such a shame they have to sell this bike - priced up a Merida CX 4 today - might be making the shift
    Trek Top Fuel 9.9 - Fuji CX 1.1 - Trek Boone 7 Disc - Room for 1 more
  • koontz
    koontz wrote:
    Getting the creaking noise again, pretty sure its not bottom bracket as took chain of and there is no play in it and runs smooth as. I suspect its the crank bolts so have cleaned greased and reinstalled we shall see.

Nope that didnt work, its either the bottom bracket, or the crank is loose somewere. Can someone tell me what tools I would need to remove both the crank and the bottom bracket, Also is it true that once you remove the bottom bracket you cant reinstall them?, I read this somewere that they are designed to be installed once and when you remove them you need new bottom bracket?.
  • jamin100
    jamin100 Posts: 72
    Quick question

Can I fit 23c tyres to my 2013 ritchley cx team wheels?
  • koontz
    jamin100 wrote:
    Quick question

Can I fit 23c tyres to my 2013 ritchley cx team wheels?

Not sure I have the newer mavics for the 2014 bike and struggle getting 28mm on those these rims are quite wide, I think the ritchley ones are narrower, so should get 25mm on, 23mm would be pushing it.
  • bigmul
    I've had 25's on the Mavics before. Right to get on, but no probs otherwise.
  • koontz
    bigmul wrote:
    I've had 25's on the Mavics before. Right to get on, but no probs otherwise.

Might be the tyres I have there cheapy vittoria, but are a real pain to get on the rims, anyway bike is in at evans tommorow hopefully sorting out the bottom bracket creaking, apparantly they have done loads of these that dont get lubed before installation, I told the guy that I thought press fit was a one time installation, acording to them they have taken them out cleaned and re-lubed loads so will see, would do myself but dont have the tools.
  • bigmul
    Sorry - I meant tight to get on!!
  • michaelede
    michaelede Posts: 152
    Any CX owners swapped out the BB30 for a GXP? Easy / hard, any difficulties?

Thinking of ditching the FSA BB30 and going for a lightly used Force or RED GXP crankset of the 'bay (mainly because I would eventually like to get a stages power meter and they don't do a SRAM BB30 powermeter crank)

Cheers,
    Mike
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    I swapped out the FSA and replaced it with a hollowtech 2 CX chainset
  • newtonuk
    newtonuk Posts: 134
    antsmithmk wrote:
    I swapped out the FSA and replaced it with a hollowtech 2 CX chainset

The Comp has a Shimano BB to begin with, so hopefully that was quite straight forward.

To swap out the BB30 for a Shimano or GXP I would imagine you're going to need an adaptor of some sort.
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6 (2014)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • rpaul
    rpaul Posts: 23
    Went to Halfords Lancaster with a reservation for CX Team and a fresh BC membership.
    Result? The display bike they tried flogging me for the as-new price had cracked paintwork on the seatstay - the classic. So did the other one in the backroom.
    Funny - I popped in there a week ago to check those Boardmans out, and asked a shop assistant about paintwork issues, pointing out that the display one had cracks. The dude said - ah, that's the older batch, we haven't have any complaints since then. So given that a brand new one straight out of the packaging was cracked, either I was unlucky to open up a new messed up batch, or the dude was lying.

In fairness, the girl dealing with me tonight was very nice, and none of it was her fault. Alas, all she could say that they could order me one, to arrive by the weekend, but they couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't have cracks (she meant well, but look at it from the customer care perspective... we can order you a bike, but cant guarantee the quality?).
    They fetched the duty manager, but she couldn't do much either other than saying that they would get in touch with Boardman. Yeah right. They just tried selling me a display model they knew was cracked. The other one was for someone else's collection later on in the week. I can only hope they won't just try and find a sucker that wouldn't notice...

Overall, pretty cheesed off with them, and purely based on experience, won't be buying a Boardman. That frankly sucks, I was gonna ride mine tonight...
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    michaelede wrote:
    Any CX owners swapped out the BB30 for a GXP? Easy / hard, any difficulties?

Thinking of ditching the FSA BB30 and going for a lightly used Force or RED GXP crankset of the 'bay (mainly because I would eventually like to get a stages power meter and they don't do a SRAM BB30 powermeter crank)

Cheers,
    Mike
    On cyclepowermeters.com's website, they list a FSA Megaexo and BB30 Stages power meter crank.
  • mikey2341
    mikey2341 Posts: 170
    Does anyone use their bike for CX racing and commuting? Looking at getting the CX team for a dabble in CX races and my weekday commute. Good idea?
  • antsmithmk
    The beast has been on a diet.... She has also been in bits bless her little heart but tonight she turned a crank in anger again!!!

I have :

Stripped the CX comp back to frame and forks
    Installed a 105 groupset throughout
    Installed BB5 brakes
    Ritchley carbon bars, stem and seat post
    Ritchley carbon saddle
    105 CX specific crankset with Hollowtech 2 BB
    New cables and wires throughout.

Just waiting for the carbon wheels from China and it will have lost about half its weight.

Bring on the cross season now!!!
  • mikey2341
    mikey2341 Posts: 170
    antsmithmk wrote:

How does the Comp perform as a race bike?
  • bigmul
    antsmithmk wrote:
    Just waiting for the carbon wheels from China and it will have lost about half its weight.

Have you got a link for the wheels? Thinking of getting some CX crosslights from fatbirds, interested to see what you ev gone for.

Ta
  • antsmithmk
    mikey2341 wrote:
    antsmithmk wrote:

How does the Comp perform as a race bike?

Prob better than its current rider! I found it fine last year, tyres are more important than the bike I think
  • antsmithmk
    bigmul wrote:
    antsmithmk wrote:

Have you got a link for the wheels? Thinking of getting some CX crosslights from fatbirds, interested to see what you ev gone for.

Ta

Hiya, I have gone form these

Alt URL: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Disc-brake-38 ... 1297930158

I debated getting tubs but couldn't justify buying all new tyres too. Do catbirds have Kinesis Cross light CX disks in stock? I have looked everywhere for a set.
  • bigmul
    Out of stock again by the looks of it....
  • bigmul
    Out of stock again by the looks of it....
  • antsmithmk
    Yep. I shall post up how I get on with the Asian wheels
  • bigmul
    Defo interested to hear how you get on and the overall weight of the bike. Are you changing the fork to carbon too?
  • koontz
    Ok fitted new bb7 brake to rear, had a right problem setting it up right. Went exactly to the avid instructions loose bolts press brake lever and re-tighten, The disc would always end up scraping the actual caliper, eventually did it by eye and got it near perfect no brake drag and really tight on the brakes, I think with the instructions they are 'presuming' that your brake mount points are exactly perfect so if they are a couple of mils out it wont work. I also found that when doing up the quick release this made a huge difference as the stays are brought closer together, anyway sorted for now but word of warning sure try the avid way first you may get lucky but if it doesnt work use your eye.
  • antsmithmk
    Do the avid way but slide a credit card between the inner pad that doesn't move and the rotor. Should then be perfect when you back off the knob and take out the card. (Ooooer Mrs)
  • koontz
    antsmithmk wrote:
    Do the avid way but slide a credit card between the inner pad that doesn't move and the rotor. Should then be perfect when you back off the knob and take out the card. (Ooooer Mrs)

No doesnt work for me, I had to manually line the caliper up with the frame mounts or the disc was hitting the pads sideways, and yes the disc is true, anyway regardless it works.
  • antsmithmk
    Ah you must have the married version.... Put the knob away and get the credit card out
  • koontz
    antsmithmk wrote:
    Ah you must have the married version.... Put the knob away and get the credit card out

Honestly no idea what your trying to say.