Motorised cycle discussion!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No, it was moved here by Nick when the insanity reached 3 on the Yee scale.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    is there any chance of a recap for those of us who cant be bothered to read through all of the insanity?
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    is there any chance of a recap for those of us who cant be bothered to read through all of the insanity?

An arrogant Australian retard troll with a petrol powered bike and a hatred of cyclists and cycling couldn't sort out the shifting on his x9 rear mech.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • Anonymous
    Best to read it really - that's half the entertainment.
  • Fabian2
    Fabian2 Posts: 113
    Photos of my setup , in it's current form:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65841467@N03/

It's to everyone's own personal taste. Some will "just want one", others will deride the concept.

Next step in the project is to add a hybrid design into the system, adding some Formula 1 style technology, using a compact rare earth electric motor for regenerative braking; power supplementation and electric start capability, and naturally an inverter to run the laptop, gps hardware, car fridge, microwave, hydraulic wood splitter, 9,000 lbs winch and 1200 watt electric heater for when camping out in the cold with with a cycle social group requires nature and the freezing elements to be kept at arms length.
    2200 watts of engine power is enough to run a water pump and heating element to provide hot water from a running stream, enabling a warm shower whilst everyone else is desperately trying to play up the idea of bathing in cold water.
  • moster
    moster Posts: 121
    Man you're a couple of chicken nuggets short of a Happy Meal
    When you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebras.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Or you could buy one of these

4538d1270627280-hippy-wagons-hippie-wagon.jpg
  • Fabian2
    Re: Revell

The colour doesn't suite me and it has an unacceptable power to weight ratio, not to mention lacking a 3 speed low range first gear, like my setup.
    Also of note: the combi van would struggle to run a 9,000 lbs winch and hydraulic wood splitter.
  • Fabian2
    Now i know you all love technology around here, and bicycles come equipped with impressive equipment these days, but like an infomercial,,,

*** i know you want more ***

This guy in South Australia does some fantastic work and he has some even more special technology under development for bicycles, but naturally i'm sworn to secrecy.

Check out these products for bicycles.

http://shop.rocksolidengines.com.au/ind ... t&Itemid=1

http://shop.rocksolidengines.com.au/ind ... t&Itemid=1
  • Fabian2
    What i can say is that laptop interfaced, digital programmable fuel injection and ignition is in the planning stage for bicycle applications.

Now that my friends is technology to die for on a bicycle!
  • sheepsteeth
    Fabian2 wrote:

Now that my friends is technology to die for on a bicycle!

are sure you dont mean

"that is technology already available on motorcycles"
  • sheepsteeth
    when the engine is running on that thing, is it constantly turning the cranks?
  • Fabian2
    Completely agree that this technology is readily available on motorbikes, and i've had my fair share of them; for many years participating in recreation racetrack days,

but,

Motorbikes are heavy, even the new generation of light weight 600's are still massively heavy compared to a bicycle.
    The only thing that comes close to the intuitive and lightning fast steering and braking response of a bicycle is a GP125 racing bike, of which i've owned.

At the end of the day, a bicycle reacts to physical input with the speed of response that can only be dreamed of by people who ride motorbikes.

Adding 15 kilos to a bicycle around it centre of gravity still gives a very low polar moment of inertia - in effect it still handles with all the dynamics of a bicycle, yet with all the advantages of motorised power.

You simply cannot get a better combination for perfect handling dynamics.
  • Fabian2
    In a professionally made product this company manufactures a sensational machine that comprises top shelf bicycle style components.

Site: http://www.motopeds.com/

My take on things is that i prefer to do my own mechanical design and fabrication, because i enjoy the creative side of design, and without the engine running, it passes for a bicycle in every way, operates as a bicycle in every way and the handling dynamics are that of a bicycle.
  • sheepsteeth
    so as you speed up the engine, the cranks spin faster and faster?
  • Fabian2
    no, the final drive incorporates a freewheel bearing. I can add pedal power into the drive-train if i wish, i can have the pedals stationary and i can switch off the engine, pull in the clutch and pedal the bicycle as per conventional manner.

This is important particularly when horses are coming down a trail.
    They are easily disturbed by any new sound and being respectful towards everyone on the trail/s i turn off the engine 100 meters before approaching horses or family groups with small children and simply use pedal power to make my way past, then restart the engine some distance away.
  • Fabian2
    If there are a lot of people around, i won't operate the engine - - it's not my goal to upset people or get their back up.
    Everyone has a right to enjoy a recreational facility and part of that is respecting people
  • sheepsteeth
    so, you can keep your feet stationary on the pedals and the cranks not spinning when the engine is powering the bike along a trail?
  • Fabian2
    I can't answer any more questions on that, because i have a sense of where this is going.
    Suffice to say that my bike complies with the legal requirements of the law in Australia.
    It has a 200 watt motorised assist engine and the bicycle can be operated without engine power. When the engine is running it is unable to power the bicycle without human power input, and i have stated to that effect in my youtube video.
  • sheepsteeth
    ill take that as a no and for that reason, I am out (due to it being, in my opinion, a completely flipping retarded deathtrap of an idea)
  • looks like you could do with some more lights and mirrors
    1996 GT Borrego - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Expert - 2010 Specialized enduro expert
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    I'm out because the guy's a fcuktard troll.

I've had a word or two with a NSW legislator who I know. All the post is Billy Bull.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • Fabian2
    Re sheepsteeth

My bicycle is law compliant - the law does not allow death traps.
    My own safety takes a focus and in 20,000 kilometers traveled, the only death traps i've encountered is other road users with poorly maintained vehicles.

Yes my bicycle is maintenance intensive because parts are replaced well within their wear limits and safety is my main priority.

It's surprising how many car drivers don't seem to see cyclists when pulling out of intersections, even with flashing bicycle lights.
    In saying, the more lights the better and in my case the bicycle and trailers have a combined 31 lights, including brake light and indicators and park lights.
    One person described it like a UFO coming down the road - only a blind driver or someone who is DUI to the point of clinical death would fail to see me coming.
  • Fabian2
    Re: spongtastic

I am glad you have had a word to a NSW legislator.
    Considering i am a law abiding citizen, he will be able to confirm my bicycle is well inside the legal requirements for motorised assist bicycles in NSW.

• Fabian2
    What a delightfully engaging thread to solve the issues of SRAM X9 indexing issues ;-)
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I just don't get it - if you ride mainly on road it seems to me an older style motor bike or even a proper pedal assisted style moped would be a better option than that abortion of a machine you ride. If you ride off road it would be a recipe for pinch flats, brake failure and suspension collapse because of the weight.

I cycle tour from time to time and like havinn everything I need on my bike and powered by me to where ever I am going, I downhill with lift assisted so my heavier bike doesnt need pedalling up and I trail/xc ride where the ride up earns my fun ride down.

A motor on any of my bikes would rob me of the enjoyment I get from riding. I have ridden motorbikes though and they are quite fun but more from the wind rushing, high speed travel whilst being able to avoid traffic not from a "thank god I didn't have to cycle up that hill" point of view.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Fabian2
    Re: paul.skibum

Just factual info on my last 20,000 kilometers.

1 flat tyre in the early days (pinch flat), then replaced inner tubes with heavy duty thorn resistant types and have not had a flat tyre since. The inner tubes might weight 100 grams more but they simply work particularly when running tyre pressures on the low side for comfort, and i won't compromise on comfort. It might add 3000% more rolling resistance and to be truthful the rolling resistance is very high at such low pressures. It might cost me 20% extra in fuel economy but the only thing that comes before my comfort is safety.
    Front tyre set at 18 PSI
    Rear tyre set at 24PSI

In my previous posts i have expressed my past involvement with motorbikes, for many years and also explained why a motorised bicycle is more enjoyable by many orders of magnitude.
    In 20,000 kilometers (on-road and off-road) i have not had a frame failure, not had a brake failure, nor had suspension collapse.
    I could post links to one of my off-road rides and if the suspension, tyres or brakes didn't fail under those conditions, they never will.
    It must be noted that the bike is regularly inspected and parts are replaced regularly to prevent any chance of failure.

Now i have never said that pure human powered cycling isn't enjoyable, for it is, and i also cycle without the engine. Unfortunately your can't hear the engine in my attached video link, but for a good 50% of that ride, the engine was not operating; only when it became impossible to push the bike uphill with the weight and rolling resistance of the trailers did i operate the engine.
    Basically the engine is only used when pushing the bike unassisted is no longer any fun. Up till that point i'm happily pedaling away using my own leg power.

Cheers
  • Anonymous
    You've mentione earlier that this 80KG bike cannot really be used without the engine running.
    Thing is, when a bicycle weighs 80 kilos, and has a chainring like that, it can;t really be pedalled. Which means it's a crap motorcycle. Or, well, a crap moped, actually.
  • Fabian2
    Please re-read my posts.

I have stated that the weight of the bike (inclusive of engine and ancillaries) is 40 kilos and the weight of 6 trailers and spare parts and tools is 80 kilos
  • Fabian2
    again you are making a statement devoid of the presented facts