Stage 18 SPOILER

Comments

• cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Cogidubnus wrote:
    Don't know how this fling with Sanchez is going to turn out, doesn't bertie need to drop him at some point, as he's ahead in the GC?

Contador can ruin Sanchez in a time trial.

+1

Samu said he would help AC so a the Spanish will win the tour if he can't. I think we will see the 2 of them working together today and tomorrow.

P45 in the post from his Basque paymasters then?

He's not even Basque, born in asturias. But I take your point. Though I reckon Euskatel will be very happy with a podium and stage wins
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 560
    cavcan wrote:
    Sammu at 32-1??! Where??

I put a couple of quid on him at 11-1 this morning on Betfair.... I think him and Contador will attack together, work together, and then Contador will gift him the stage for the work hes done the last few days....

ok so im not good at this betting lark. just put £5 on sammu to take the GC. ooops.

ok i need lots of people to have very very bad days.

let the ridicule begin :)
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    The way I see it:
    Andy, AC and Sanchez have to get time on Evans coming into the time trial.
    I think Andy needs to get a bit more time on AC coming into the time trial.

So Evans can follow the wheels, but everyone else has to attack over the next 2 days if they want to win.

So hopefully we'll see that - some attacking. So far this tour AC has shown he knows how to do it, Andy hasn't.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,796
    durhamwasp wrote:
    Breakaways not being allowed away just yet, interesting stat about Voeckler, a total of 19 days in the yellow in his career, only Armstrong, Indurain and Canca have wore it more!

I feel the need to correct this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_jersey_statistics

In the recent history that's the order but there a young unknown by the name of Merckx and some French badger baiting guy in there too, amongst others

the stat is from the letour ticker

last 20 yrs
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    avg over 50kmh
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    avg over 50kmh

This can go either one of two ways, if this frantic pace continues.

Either everyone will be too tired to do anything untill the final 5km, or the selection will be much bigger.
  • mididoctors
    edited July 2011
    htc movistar holding it together for super sprint
  • Neil McC
    Neil McC Posts: 625
    I think it's just HTC & Movistar driving it at the moment for the int. sprint? Don't know what will happen after that, but the pace will probably knock off a bit and a break will go away?
  • stokepa31
    We really should get earlier tv feed
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • rick_chasey
    Neil McC wrote:
    I think it's just HTC & Movistar driving it at the moment for the int. sprint? Don't know what will happen after that, but the pace will probably knock off a bit and a break will go away?

Movistar want to drop Cavendish early in the day so he stuggles to make the time cuttoff.
  • mididoctors
    edited July 2011
    avg over 50kmh

This can go either one of two ways, if this frantic pace continues.

Either everyone will be too tired to do anything untill the final 5km, or the selection will be much bigger.

:lol:

"yes pretty much as I predicted except the other guy won"
  • mididoctors
    Neil McC wrote:

Movistar want to drop Cavendish early in the day so he stuggles to make the time cuttoff.

its an idea plus he has to contest the sprint and shave off some glycogen
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Neil McC wrote:

Genuine question - has Cav ever missed the cut?
  • rick_chasey
    Pokerface wrote:
    Neil McC wrote:

No but he's had to go pretty deep this Tour to stay in the cut.
  • mididoctors
    edited July 2011
    Pokerface wrote:
    Neil McC wrote:

no IIRC

pulled out of the 2008
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    No
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Pokerface
    edited July 2011
    Seven riders in an escape group just shy of the intermediate sprint it seems?

1KM to go
  • stokepa31
    Pokerface wrote:
    Neil McC wrote:

im not sure thats the case. he's not a bad climber but chooses to use the minimum possible endeavour to get over the lumps. i think this year is not greatly different to any other and the winning margin in paris last year said a lot for his 3 week endurance.
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Is it true what I've read/heard (I think!) that if there was a large grupetto containing a few good riders then sometimes the cut off time isn't strictly adhered to??

Realistically, is there a chance that Moviestar could force it enough for Cav to miss the cut? Surely that is going to come down to how much AC, AS, CE etc are attacking each other over the next couple of days?

Fingers crossed for Cav from me!!!
  • rick_chasey
    stokepa31 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Neil McC wrote:

im not sure thats the case. he's not a bad climber but chooses to use the minimum possible endeavour to get over the lumps. i think this year is not greatly different to any other and the winning margin in paris last year said a lot for his 3 week endurance.

There are a lot of reports of Cavendish really suffering in the Pyrenees, more than in previous years.
  • mididoctors

I think all the sprinters are suffering extra because of the super sprint...

but mark is looking pretty lean and fit.
  • Pokerface
    RC856 wrote:
    Is it true what I've read/heard (I think!) that if there was a large grupetto containing a few good riders then sometimes the cut off time isn't strictly adhered to??

Realistically, is there a chance that Moviestar could force it enough for Cav to miss the cut? Surely that is going to come down to how much AC, AS, CE etc are attacking each other over the next couple of days?

Fingers crossed for Cav from me!!!

Sometimes they get a points deduction instead of being booted from the race.
  • Pokerface
    The sprint has come and gone and still no idea who was actually in it.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945

There are a lot of reports of Cavendish really suffering in the Pyrenees, more than in previous years.
    In general or just on the stage he crashed early doors?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    No one important for the Green points GC
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    RC856 wrote:
    Is it true what I've read/heard (I think!) that if there was a large grupetto containing a few good riders then sometimes the cut off time isn't strictly adhered to?

Doesn't really matter the amount of "good" riders, but if more than 20% of the field finish outside the HD they'll usually be exempted, sometimes with a points deduction.

The Giro stage to L'Aquila last year springs to mind. Farrar was outside but was kept in with a points docking which stripped the red jersey from him, meaning he could then subsequently quit.
  • rick_chasey
    JonGinge wrote:

In general or just on the stage he crashed early doors?

I read in general.

I took his effort a couple days ago to be a test to see if his condition uphill has improved.
  • Pokerface
    None of the top 4 sprinters picked up any points in the intermediate. So Cav safe for the day. Just has to get to the finish now!
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    So Cav just needs to keep with Rojas and Gilbert then over the hills :D
  • Snorebens
    Snorebens Posts: 759
    htc movistar holding it together for super sprint

Epic fail in that case as 7 away 1k before sprint and no JJ to sweep up the remaining.

1. DUQUE Leonardo 154 COFIDIS LE CREDIT EN LIGNE 20 pts
    2. POSTHUMA Joost 17 TEAM LEOPARD-TREK 17 pts
    3. DELAPLACE Anthony 213 SAUR-SOJASUN 15 pts
    4. DEVENYNS Dries 125 QUICK STEP CYCLING TEAM 13 pts
    5. TJALLINGII Maarten 49 RABOBANK CYCLING TEAM 11 pts
    6. BOOKWALTER Brent 142 BMC RACING TEAM 10 pts
    7. IRIZAR Markel 73 TEAM RADIOSHACK 9 pts
    8. ERVITI Imanol 84 MOVISTAR TEAM 8 pts
    9. HONDO Danilo 165 LAMPRE - ISD 7 pts
    10. NAVARDAUSKAS Ramunas 57 TEAM GARMIN - CERVELO 6 pts
    11. PEREZ MORENO Ruben 25 EUSKALTEL - EUSKADI 5 pts
    12. URTASUN PEREZ Pablo 27 EUSKALTEL - EUSKADI 4 pts