2012 Transfers - Fact and Rumour

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Bosen-Hagen possibly off to Leopard whi are wanting to strengthen their classics team. With Cav and Eisel rumoured to be Sky-bound, expect an exodus of the 2nd rate sprinters they currently have.

If you want to strengthen a classics team why would you hire EBH? :P
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    EBH was on a 4 year contract. One of the few who did have a long term deal.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I know Iain is just stirring, but I really hope that EBH gets a proper run at the classics next year to prove whether or not he can be as good as we thought we was going to be after 2009.

The guy that i'm confused about at Sky is Lofkvist, he's certainly done nothing to build on the promise he showed at Columbia/HTC/Highroad. I wouldn't be surprised if he left, just depends on how long they signed him for I guess.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,191
    I think Lofkvist showed form at last year's Tour. The management should have moved him to leader when it became obvious Wiggins wasn't in form for the top 10. Other than that though he hasn't shown much. There are a lot of Sky riders who you just never see or hear about, I know they are domestiques and their role is mainly to support the other riders but on other teams these riders would get in breaks occassionally.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Gilbert and Thor going to .mc it seems
  • iainf72
    rebs wrote:

I'd assume if he knew Cavendish was on his way, he'd ask to negotiate an early exit?

Figuring out where all the HTC people will end up is a fun game.
  • 753forme
    753forme Posts: 59
    Lokvist was designated leader at the Giro and didn't produce at all. Kennaugh has come well out of the Giro and is a better long term prospect as a GC rider. Sorry but for me Lokvist is not a leader just a good team rider/rouleur.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:
    rebs wrote:

I'd assume if he knew Cavendish was on his way, he'd ask to negotiate an early exit?

I'm not sure about that. He left HTC because Sky offered him so much more money. He's looked willing to work for Wiggins this season. His future isn't as a bunch sprinter anyway - more a Gilbert/Bettini type, maybe even a Kelly type.

I've seen journos describe him as Brailsford's 'special project', so he won't let go lightly.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I agree with Rich, I think there is room for EBH and Cav in the same team. EBH for the tougher classics and shorter stage races and Cav for the sprinters classics and GT bunch sprints. It's the pure sprinter's like Henderson, Swift, Sutton and Appollonio who will clash.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    I am not sure I can see cav moving without renshaw as they are the perfect pair but it could happen.
    I also think Sky maybe switching to specialized next year or considering it as in the Cyling plus TDF guide a spesh bike has been hidden on the back wall of the workshop van behind some wheels. Possibley linked to cav wanting an aero bike but what do I know?
  • RichN95.
    sharky1029 wrote:
    I am not sure I can see cav moving without renshaw as they are the perfect pair but it could happen.
    I also think Sky maybe switching to specialized next year or considering it as in the Cyling plus TDF guide a spesh bike has been hidden on the back wall of the workshop van behind some wheels. Possibley linked to cav wanting an aero bike but what do I know?

I don't think Cav is too fussed by what bike he's riding. He was riding a Scott prior to this year.
  • iainf72
    Teejay van G to BMC.
  • JohnnyAllez
    JohnnyAllez Posts: 785
    David Miller signed an extension with Garmin Cervelo, JV was singing his praises (rightly so) earlier this week.

Read somewhere recently that Miller is part-owner of Garmin-Cervelo team? Would think he`ll be staying `til the end of his days?
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RichN95 wrote:
    sharky1029 wrote:

I don't think Cav is too fussed by what bike he's riding. He was riding a Scott prior to this year.

Pros don't care what make their bike is, as long as it fits and it's no slower than any other bike.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited July 2011
    QS interested in Valverde, although likelihood is he goes to Movistar understandably.
    "We would very much like Gilbert to accept our proposal, but if he does not come, we must seek alternatives," he told Het Nieuwsblad. About Valverde he said, "It's an option. However, I fear that he will choose Team Movistar and return to the team he was part of before."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Cogidubnus wrote:
    This week Lefevere confirmed his interest in Belgian star Philippe Gilbert telling Sporza, "Just before the Tour and even during the Tour, I had a discussion with Philippe Gilbert and his manager. He assured me he has not yet signed for BMC.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    David Miller signed an extension with Garmin Cervelo, JV was singing his praises (rightly so) earlier this week.

Read somewhere recently that Miller is part-owner of Garmin-Cervelo team? Would think he`ll be staying `til the end of his days?

Yes, he does although I don't think it's a high percentage. Garmin's in his DNA now, the only move he'll make will be from rider to DS. (JV was so broke when he initially signed David Millar, that he was offered a part-share in the Team in lieu of pay).

Can't see Brailsford letting go of EBH easily, not Swift, and Appolonia has a strong future as the Greipel of Sky.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Dennis McMenchov is talking to Katusha.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Cogidubnus wrote:
    This week Lefevere confirmed his interest in Belgian star Philippe Gilbert telling Sporza, "Just before the Tour and even during the Tour, I had a discussion with Philippe Gilbert and his manager. He assured me he has not yet signed for BMC.”

I get the impression Phil Gil is going to QS....
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    On the ITV4 highlights coverage last night Mark Renshaw was asked wether he was going to follow Cav to Sky. After saying that Cavendish hasn't confirmed anything yet he basically said that Cavendish, himself and Eisel are a formidable trio who will win races together wherever they end up. So I don't think he could have given a clearer hint that Eisel, Renshaw and Cavendish are looking to stay together and join Sky.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Kléber wrote:
    Dennis McMenchov is talking to Katusha.

A match made in heaven.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    He was moaning earlier on this year that Katusha hadn't signed him as he was the biggest Russian rider there was.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Re Menchov -> Katusha : maybe as Karpets is not turning out to be much of a GT rider Menchov will now get re-considered.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    I really do think the Cav/Renshaw partnership is a little over hyped now.

Cav without the HTC train will still win more races then most other sprinters. But with it he is winning so so much more.

But if you replace Renshaw with Julian Dean for example. I still think Cav will be winning just as many races.

You pair up Farrar & Renshaw together. I still think Cav will have the measure of them. Think everyone forgets Renshaw and Cav have only been together for 2 years and alot of Cav's results are more down to 8 guys working for Cav when most teams commit at more 5 guys for the sprints.

But saying that when you are hands down the favorite in the springs. Cav needs those 8 guys or he will get worked over with certainly more breakaways getting away.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Agree with rebs. Best lead-out man in the Tour this year? Geraint Thomas.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    G does look very quick and gets in the right places, shame EBH keeps loosing his wheel..

On the 8 man train i have an idea albeit stupid...

When a break goes everyone knows HTC will bring it back for Cav so will let them do all the work This then means that HTC need a full train to bring the break back and then lead out Cav. Why don't HTC write off a few sprint stages, though obviously not in the tour. E.g break goes and HTC do nothing to bring it back. Either break stays out or another sprint team will need to do the work. Do this 3-4 times and Garmin/Lampre/Movistar et al will soon realise they will need to do the work if their man is going to contest a sprint. With that change in culture Cav would only need a train of 4/5 surely?

Like I say its a stupid thought and not to be taken seriously, im just rambling on a non race day :)
  • shinyhelmut
    Cogidubnus wrote:
    G does look very quick and gets in the right places, shame EBH keeps loosing his wheel..

On the 8 man train i have an idea albeit stupid...

When a break goes everyone knows HTC will bring it back for Cav so will let them do all the work This then means that HTC need a full train to bring the break back and then lead out Cav. Why don't HTC write off a few sprint stages, though obviously not in the tour. E.g break goes and HTC do nothing to bring it back. Either break stays out or another sprint team will need to do the work. Do this 3-4 times and Garmin/Lampre/Movistar et al will soon realise they will need to do the work if their man is going to contest a sprint. With that change in culture Cav would only need a train of 4/5 surely?

Like I say its a stupid thought and not to be taken seriously, im just rambling on a non race day :)

This might work but those other teams will also soon learn that there's no point in chasing down the break only for HTC to take over in the last 5K and Cav to win.
  • RichN95.
    This might work but those other teams will also soon learn that there's no point in chasing down the break only for HTC to take over in the last 5K and Cav to win.

But Greipel has won a stage, Farrar has won a stage and Petacchi has beaten Cav several times. If their teams help bring back the break, at least they have a chance of a win. If the break stays away, they have no chance.
  • shinyhelmut
    True, but it's all a game of poker really, which is what makes cycling so fascinating.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    RichN95 wrote:

But Greipel has won a stage, Farrar has won a stage and Petacchi has beaten Cav several times. If their teams help bring back the break, at least they have a chance of a win. If the break stays away, they have no chance.

I think if HTC dedicated less men to the chase, they might get more help from the other teams - certainly we've seen other teams step in when HTC have looked a little spent to make sure of the catch. I reckon Sky could do the job for Cav and provide adequate mountain support for a GC rider (hopefully Wiggins). EBH, GT, Rogers could all do chase work and help out in hilly stages, with maybe a couple of full on mountain doms (like Zandio and Uran this year. If you look at this year's team, if they switched Cav for Swift and brough Renshaw in for mayne Flecha or Gerrans, they'd be looking pretty good.