Warning to all Canyon full suss owners

Comments

• AMcK
    AMcK Posts: 79
    Stubs - already sent, although I didn't make reference to the warranty. Wasn't sure if it was a warranty issue. But at least Cullen will realise that yours isn't a one off and there are other affected Canyon owners out there.

I'll update with whatever response I get on here also.

Wondered whether the routing was different dependent on whether the model had a sram or shimano groupset (not sure why it would be different). Mine is a 9.0, so SRAM. My mate's where the cable is routed under is shimano.
    2011 Black Canyon Nerve XC9.0
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Briggo wrote:
    8 months? :shock:

I'm guessing the fact that everyone and their dogs cousin has bought a Canyon lately has probably added to the long delays in sorting out issues.

Thats probably it I checked availability on medium Nerves on the website and they all seem to be 10 or 12 weeks minimum delivery and framesets completely out of stock. The 8 months wait was for a roadbike so dont know if the wait was for something high end like a carbon race frame.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs
    AMcK wrote:
    Wondered whether the routing was different dependent on whether the model had a sram or shimano groupset (not sure why it would be different). Mine is a 9.0, so SRAM. My mate's where the cable is routed under is shimano.

Hmm could be a reason mine is a 7.0 with SRAM X9 and Avid Elixirs but I cant see why you would change the routing never seen it done that way on any other bike.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    AMcK wrote:
    Wondered whether the routing was different dependent on whether the model had a sram or shimano groupset
    No, tha't just star-gazing craziness. (which actually is a very human trait, but I digress)
  • Welsh_Tom
    Welsh_Tom Posts: 571
    the one i got coming is sram. now i am starting to worry.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Welsh_Tom wrote:

why just fit some Copter tape, as you should do where cables can rub.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stubs
    Welsh_Tom wrote:

Dont worry mate. If the hose is routed over the BB takes about 5 minutes 2 zip ties and a small piece of helicopter tape to fix it so it runs under the BB just look at the pics of fudgies and streetvw's bikes as to how it should be done. It really is easy you just need to pop off the half moon clips holding the hose to the down tube to give yourself some slack to play with. If you do it before you fit the pedals and wheels you wont have any probs.

If it does come wrongly fitted can you post here and send an email to ukcanyon.com the more people who do this the better it is for myself and AMck for warranty claims
  • AMcK
    Welsh_Tom wrote:

What Stubs said - a bit of frame protection/tape over that spot will solve it, irrespective of repositioning (but I'd reposition it anyway).

Given the amount of frame protection canyon pre-fit (head tube, seat tube, chainstay, whole underside of downtube) - so it didn't enter my head to double-check. A lesson learned there...
    No, tha't just star-gazing craziness. (which actually is a very human trait, but I digress)

Yep it's definitely a 'clutching at straws' analysis :) Don't see why it would make any difference anyway, but it seemed to be the only obvious change between the models involved that would cause the routing - the frame's the same across the range. But then I re-read some posts above that trashed that anyway.
  • Welsh_Tom
    Welsh_Tom Posts: 571
    I would more think its "new guys"

with so many orders they got to be taking on new staff. I guess they may of rushed them tho without full trainning.
  • streetvw
    streetvw Posts: 164
    A more likely explanation would to be one of the guys in the factory not putting them together correctly.

like Stubs said the fix would be 10 minutes work and a zip tie. As for those who have the pipe under the BB I think It may be prudent to just put some tape under the pipe were it passes the weld on the frame just to be sure that the pipe doesn't get frayed
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC7 viewtopic.php?t=12765275
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    Vorsprung Durch Technique ????????????????????????
  • stubs
    Just got the latest issue of MBR and it shows a Canyon AM with the hose routed over the BB and it looks like it would be rubbing away though the pic isnt big enough to see any damage.

Definitely someone on the assembly side needs a good dose of das booten uppen ze bachside but also someone on the QC side needs a good kick as well
  • Fudgie
    Fudgie Posts: 68
    streetvw wrote:
    As for those who have the pipe under the BB I think It may be prudent to just put some tape under the pipe were it passes the weld on the frame just to be sure that the pipe doesn't get frayed
    Yes. Or maybe I'll reroute the hose over the top of the BB, like stubs! Oh, wait ...

Stubs and AMcK - have you tried phoning Cullen to see if he's actioning your emails? He may well have passed them on to Germany for a response but I think I'd be pressuring him a bit if it was me.
    Canyon Nerve XC 8.0 2011
  • stubs
    Fudgie wrote:
    streetvw wrote:
    As for those who have the pipe under the BB I think It may be prudent to just put some tape under the pipe were it passes the weld on the frame just to be sure that the pipe doesn't get frayed
    Yes. Or maybe I'll reroute the hose over the top of the BB, like stubs! Oh, wait ...

Stubs and AMcK - have you tried phoning Cullen to see if he's actioning your emails? He may well have passed them on to Germany for a response but I think I'd be pressuring him a bit if it was me.

tried ringing but just getting answer machine.
  • AMcK
    Answer machine for me too.

Not that I'm getting obsessed about this or anything :? - but I started digging around the Canyon Nerve reviews on this site for pics to work out if they generally route one way or the other (the canyon site pics are largely inconclusive).

Anyway - in the 8.0 review, on one pic of the bike being ridden on single track, it appears that the hose routes under the bb. My mate has an 8.0 and it's set up the same way, as is Fudgie's.

In the 5.0 review, with a different angle showing the lhs of the bike, you can definitely see the hose coming over the bb (and would cause the exact problem stubs and I have).

So what is the 'correct' set up? Given the borderline anal frame protection elsewhere on the bike, I'd guess at under the bb, but how do they decide - frame size, mechanic, aspect of the moon?
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    Full sussers do need protection around any cables near the pivots. Some stick on carbon fibre style film is pretty heavy duty and look nice.
  • If you bought the bike from a retailler then you should keep them in he loop as the duty of care and consumer law issues are between you and the person you got it from. They can then kick ass with the manufacturer in the natural sequence following the supply chain.

Advice is, assuming you did not buy directly is to hassle the dealer.

This really is amazing ineptitude - I'll look them up and see if they manufacture to Euro or QA standards.

...incidentally I remember reading their brochure and thinking nice bikes but this was written by a martian.
  • XC7 here and brake cable routed under BB. Slight rubbing on the weld which I've now protected. Be interesting to see how the UK support side of things measures up.
    Canyon Nerve XC7
    Carrera Fury
    Specialized Secteur Elite
    Planet X Uncle John
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    If you bought the bike from a retailler then you should keep them in he loop as the duty of care and consumer law issues are between you and the person you got it from. They can then kick ass with the manufacturer in the natural sequence following the supply chain.

Advice is, assuming you did not buy directly is to hassle the dealer.

This really is amazing ineptitude - I'll look them up and see if they manufacture to Euro or QA standards.

...incidentally I remember reading their brochure and thinking nice bikes but this was written by a martian.

Canyon only sell direct (at least in the UK they do) so everyone here would have got their bikes from Canyon.
  • I guessed that from their website which I looked at this afternoon. So the complaint iswith them which Stubbs is taking up. The website is full of blx about qualiy and engineering whihc is not evident in this sorry tale. - Nice bikes though.
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    This is not good :( hope you guys manage to get it sorted and the wait isnt too long.

I have been contemplating about getting a Canyon Nerve xc 8 or 9 but after seeing this, im gonna give it a miss :(

100 miles of cable rub and its eating the frame like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im sorry but that is ridiculous :shock: Its had great reviews, it rides well, the spec is fantastic and all for a very good price. But, after a small amount of use and a bit of cable rub this damage is caused, god nose what else could happen! Have a crash and instead of a paint scratch you get a deep scratch thats prob +25% the thinkness of the frame?
    This would definately play on my mind through out the ownership of a Canyon and having to check the bike for new rubs of deep scratches, no thanks!

Sorry if this has offended anyone :oops:
  • stubs
    Well got a response from Canyon UK which I am not too happy about. Next step is to contact Canyon Germany might as well do it properly so I am composing an email with photos and links to send to the bossman Roman Arnold.
  • evo3ben
    What did Canyon UK say?
  • Anonymous
    evo3ben wrote:
    Have a crash and instead of a paint scratch you get a deep scratch thats prob +25% the thinkness of the frame?
    What the hell are you on about? That much cable rub on any frame would cause problems. It's not like the alloy they use is inherently softer than anyone else's.
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben wrote:
    Have a crash and instead of a paint scratch you get a deep scratch thats prob +25% the thinkness of the frame?
    What the hell are you on about? That much cable rub on any frame would cause problems. It's not like the alloy they use is inherently softer than anyone else's.

And what other frame do you know of that after 100 miles of riding has a 1mm deep cut into the frame ? (not including carbon lol)
  • Anonymous
    evo3ben wrote:
    And what other frame do you know of that after 100 miles of riding has a 1mm deep cut into the frame ? (not including carbon lol)
    Given a moving part, and a hose cutting into it solidly for 100 miles, any of them. LOL
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben wrote:
    Given a moving part, and a hose cutting into it solidly for 100 miles, any of them. LOL

I beg to differ on that im affraid. I bit of paint fade maybe but nothing like this lol Plenty of bike have cables rubbing on the frame constantly where the rear suspension is moving up and down and these definately do not eat throught the frame. Another 100 miles and it would have been all the way through!! :shock:
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    evo3ben wrote:
    This is not good :( hope you guys manage to get it sorted and the wait isnt too long.

I have been contemplating about getting a Canyon Nerve xc 8 or 9 but after seeing this, im gonna give it a miss :(

100 miles of cable rub and its eating the frame like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im sorry but that is ridiculous :shock: Its had great reviews, it rides well, the spec is fantastic and all for a very good price. But, after a small amount of use and a bit of cable rub this damage is caused, god nose what else could happen! Have a crash and instead of a paint scratch you get a deep scratch thats prob +25% the thinkness of the frame?
    This would definitely play on my mind through out the ownership of a Canyon and having to check the bike for new rubs of deep scratches, no thanks!

Sorry if this has offended anyone :oops:

Pretty much any frame would suffer similar cable rub with out protection. I've had it on a Santa Cruz Heckler, and yes, there's also a big scratch on my toptube from a crash. It's only 6yrs old now and still going strong. To be put off by something that could literally be remedied with 20p's worth of heli-tape is what's really ridiculous, but...

...on the other hand, this does seem like an oversight on Canyon's part, when everything else seems to be protected on the frame. The real test will be seeing how Canyon deals with this problem. Hope it goes smoothly.
  • stubs
    evo3ben wrote:
    What did Canyon UK say?

At the moment I would rather not say so I dont prejudice anything.

Lets just say Canyon has not covered itself in glory so far.
  • Anonymous
    evo3ben wrote:
    I beg to differ on that im affraid.
    Dude, 6061, and 7000 series alloys are used by pretty much al MTB manufacturers. The materials are the same.
    Full suss bikes generally have the cables routed to avoid rub, and many have some kind of tape or guard to prevent the rub from causing damage.
This discussion has been closed.