Tour De France 2011 - The Commuters Spolier Thread

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Contador has taken another tumble, reckon that's him out the running now- shame......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Great timing by Cav!!!
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited July 2011
    I was rooting for Swift there, I thought for a brief moment he'd pulled off a master stroke.

Edit: although it wasn't Swift, it was Boasson Hagen.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Me too. Looked like Cav/HTC were nowhere.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,382
    cjcp wrote:
    Ian.B wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong (I know you will), but if my recollection of French at school serves me well, "mur" means wall and "mûr" means either blackberry or ripe. So all this talk of walls is nonsense, and actually we are all waiting to see who will be first to conquer the Breton Blackberry.

Is it is because it's Breton as opposed to French?

This is complete speculation and I may have no idea what I'm talking about.

A quick check in a Breton-English dictionary suggests mur still means wall. Don't know about the acute, but Breton looks closer to Welsh than French, so could be a that.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    cjcp wrote:

Pull up a chair...you're at home now

:lol:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    rjsterry wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Ian.B wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong (I know you will), but if my recollection of French at school serves me well, "mur" means wall and "mûr" means either blackberry or ripe. So all this talk of walls is nonsense, and actually we are all waiting to see who will be first to conquer the Breton Blackberry.

Is it is because it's Breton as opposed to French?

A quick check in a Breton-English dictionary suggests mur still means wall. Don't know about the acute, but Breton looks closer to Welsh than French, so could be a that.

If that's right, that could be because Breton has Celtic roots, like Cornwall and, apparently, Malta (you find Joneses in Malta, see?).

Although "wall" can be spelt "wal" (pronouned as seen).

Anyway, I digress. Didn't Cav spank the lot of them today?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Ian.B wrote:

In French, a blackberry is a ''mûre,'' masculine for ripe/mature is ''mûr,'' feminine for ripe is ''mûre.'' Without an accent it's simply a wall. The French, though, like their puns, so mur (wall) and mûr (ripe) might be difficult to separate - plants on a south-facing hillside will ripen earlier.

One thing that's for sure is that it's not pronounced ''murder Breton.'' These guys drive me up the wall. Still, last year, they insisted on authoritatively informing us that Plane trees were plantains in French. No, they're not, they're platanes.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    So I'm watching the highlights last night and thinking "Oh well, Cav's blown it completely now" after watching the intermediate sprint (and also thinking that there's a campaign to keep him out of green)

Then I'm thinking when did the TdF become a CX race?

Then I'm thinking "yup, Cav's complete;y blo.... WHAT THE HELL????????" :shock: :shock:

I didn't even realise it was him until 2 seconds before he crossed the line (which after looking at the replays was probably 200 meters from the end :lol: )

Interesting commentary afterwards - during the race it was "HTC have blown the end and left Cav on his own" then it became "masterful lead out from HTC, running the peleton at full speed so no one could hang on a wheel and allowed Cav to strike on his own"

Uh huh.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    The boy done good. Was obviously pretty happy with the way he won yesterday and it came across nicely in his post stage interview. Chapeau.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Gussio wrote:
    The boy done good. Was obviously pretty happy with the way he won yesterday and it came across nicely in his post stage interview. Chapeau.

Apart from more winging about Greipel and the commissars.

He needs to stop naming names. He got it totally wrong the other day about Roman.
  • cjcp
    It's been said before, but the front-on coverage of the finish shows you just how much lower and aero Cavendish is able to get in the sprint. Awesome finish.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    cjcp wrote:
    It's been said before, but the front-on coverage of the finish shows you just how much lower and aero Cavendish is able to get in the sprint. Awesome finish.

Ahh so that's why I've got no sprint - hindered by my un-aeroness.

Cav's most impressive TDF win to date in my eyes. That finish was pretty brutal and he was just hanging in there in places. Look at the quality contesting the finish.

He's shown a certain maturity in both his finishes this year. I agree with what Rick says though, he should stop naming people in the post race interview. Apart from anything he's got the wrong people a couple of times - maybe he has a radio feed to Phil and Paul's commentary.

Could Gilbert mount a serious challenge for the green jersey? I'm not sure how the points are awarded on the non-flat stages but he's contesting the intermediates well and surely has a wider scope than someone like Cavendish so should gether points more consistently.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    richVSrich wrote:
    Live GPS of some of the TdF riders.

Totally Fricking awesome.

http://data.srmlive.de/TDF/
    That is indeed awesome. Watching them do 60+kph and pumping out over 500W yet still having a heart rate of 130-140bpm is scary
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Wrath Rob
    Great finish to yesterday's race, happy to see that Sky have got their first win too.

Anyone think that Cav wont win today's stage?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Great finish to yesterday's race, happy to see that Sky have got their first win too.

No.

Question should be, will Gerraint lead out the sprint for him again, as more world's practice?
  • Wrath Rob
    I know that Boasson Hagen praised Gerraint for the lead out but if you watch the video there's a Rabobank rider leading the peleton, he pulls off and then Gerraint "opens the taps" for 2-3 seconds before BH decides he's not opened them far enough and is off. Not 100% sure that's a leadout in the same class as the normal HTC train. Doesn't look promising for GT getting a stage win
  • asprilla
    OT: Just looked at ITV's planned coverage and they are showing 'Chasing Legends' as part of their coverage. Looking forward to that.

In other news: Tom Boonen has retired for this year. Pity, it was a bad crash yesterday.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • cjcp
    Wrath Rob wrote:

No.

Question should be, will Gerraint lead out the sprint for him again, as more world's practice?

Oi, you two: it's Geraint, not Gerraint.

And to Paul Sherwen, it's "Geraint" not "Heraint".

Rant over.

:wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    Yeah, if it was pronounced Heraint it would be spelt Llllloghhlocollgh.........
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • cjcp
    Asprilla wrote:
    Yeah, if it was pronounced Heraint it would be spelt Llllloghhlocollgh.........

Not really. You've got too many vowels in there. :wink:

In other news, Boonen's retired from the race.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    Oops, crashtastic!

Is this the end of Sky's campaign?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Asprilla wrote:
    Oops, crashtastic!

defo the end of Wiggin's campaign. He looked in serious pain :(
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    suzyb wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Oops, crashtastic!

defo the end of Wiggin's campaign. He looked in serious pain :(

Yep, abandoned. Shame.
  • asprilla
    Yup, race radio has confirmed a broken collar bone.

Tyler Farrah was in the crash as well and Boassen hagen is going to struggle to catch up again, he;d not going to be in the sprints today.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Gutted for him. Would have been interesting to see how he fared in the mountains this year. He must be distraught.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    And it looks like Geraint will loose the white jersey as well today. Totally sucky day for Team Sky :(
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    silly crash or bad nasty - seems to be a lot of crashes so far
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Bad day at the office for Team Sky. Interesting to see how they pick themselves up and carry on. Still, tomorrow is another day.

Yeah, and Phil/Paul: you can learn how to pronounce the Dutch/French/Spanish guys names, why not try a little harder with Geraint. It's not like it's a foreign language you know.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Quick question for those in the know: why is it that a group of riders will often be awarded the exact same time even though many will have crossed the line several seconds later? A way to avoid potential carnage with aggressive riding within a bunch?