Tour De France 2011 - The Commuters Spolier Thread

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Cav will win nothing but some sprint stages. If he can't get up them big hills to win a few intermediate sprints then he'll always be the fastest sprinter on the tour but not the best rider challenging for the green jersey.

Only one per stage this year not three. But it's worth 20 points. Should favour CAV not hinder.

For the 2011 Tour, there will be new rules in place governing how the points classification and the King of the Mountains are won.

Previously, stages classified flat had three intermediate sprint points in them, worth 6, 4, and 2 points to the first three riders across the line. In 2011, flat stages will have just one intermediate sprint, but it will be worth 20 points to the first rider across the line, and the first 15 will score points. The intention is to have green jersey favourites needing to sprint twice during the day to score well.[3] Points awarded at the finish of flat stages will also increase, from 40 points for the winner in 2010 to 45. It is not known if the points scales for medium mountain stages, mountain stages, or the individual time trial will be altered.[4]

Previously in the mountains classification, any hors catégorie, first-category, or second-category climb awarded double points if it was the last of the day. In 2011, only the summit stage finishes will award double points, specifically stage 12 ending at Luz Ardiden, stage 14 at the Plateau de Beille, stage 18 at the Col du Galibier, and stage 19 at L'Alpe d'Huez. Previously the first eight riders across a first-category climb scored points, as well as the first six across a second-category and the first four across a third-category. Now the first six across the line for any of these climbs will score points. For fourth-category climbs, only the first rider will score points.[5] Early analysis has led to speculation that the mountains classification winner is more likely, under this system, to be a general classification contender than in years past.[6]
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    I didn't know threads could be classified as spoly, spolier, and spoliest.

That's totally spoly, dude!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I've found a link to a Tour De France schedule iCal. Might be of interest to some of you:
    [url=webcal://shermanroad.dyndns-home.com/cals/icalgen.php?cal=tdf]webcal://shermanroad.dyndns-home.com/ca ... hp?cal=tdf[/url]
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,346
    Greg66 wrote:
    I didn't know threads could be classified as spoly, spolier, and spoliest.

That's totally spoly, dude!

'Spolier' threads are a fine tradition in the commuting forum.

Previous threads have been graced by such spelling 'mistakes'*, it was agreed then that it should remain as it added a more continental feel than the vulgar 'Spoiler'.

* As are many of DDDs thread titles. I think he does it deliberately to wind up the pedant's.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Sketchley wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Cav will win nothing but some sprint stages. If he can't get up them big hills to win a few intermediate sprints then he'll always be the fastest sprinter on the tour but not the best rider challenging for the green jersey.

Only one per stage this year not three. But it's worth 20 points. Should favour CAV not hinder.

For the 2011 Tour, there will be new rules in place governing how the points classification and the King of the Mountains are won.

Previously, stages classified flat had three intermediate sprint points in them, worth 6, 4, and 2 points to the first three riders across the line. In 2011, flat stages will have just one intermediate sprint, but it will be worth 20 points to the first rider across the line, and the first 15 will score points. The intention is to have green jersey favourites needing to sprint twice during the day to score well.[3] Points awarded at the finish of flat stages will also increase, from 40 points for the winner in 2010 to 45. It is not known if the points scales for medium mountain stages, mountain stages, or the individual time trial will be altered.[4]

Be interesting to see how that changes the racing. May be hard for a break to get away with so many points at the intermediate sprint. May blunt the sprint teams finish having to do a bit of work early in the day.

Personally I like Cav but it gets on my nerves when he starts bleating about the Green Jersey. You want to win it? You know where the points are? Go and get them!.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    << DDD wades in with his self assured ramblings >>

I like the Tour, I do!

Predictions:

Wiggo: Hope he pulls his finger out. Nuff said.

People I'd like to see:
    Geraint Thomas, awesome name that Geraint.
    Ben Swift
    Edvald Boasson Hagen
    Vicenzo Niballi

And I'm gonna say it, I'd like to see Downing there just you know for that hometown - I've been to your shop (Condor) feel.

Lastly, I like Contador so I'll be happy if he wins. Wish Schleck or someone else would man up and go balls-out and push him into nose bleed levels of trying.... a young Lance would have.

I'm being entirely serious.

Oh really? Look up Lance's pre-1999 tour results.

Would also love to see Downing there, but pretty sure he won't get a ride this time round. Same for Swift probably. Wiggo, Thomas, maybe Froome will be Brits in Sky line-up I reckon (should be more in my opinion - I thought that was the whole point?)
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Looking at the profiles most of the intermediate sprint are early on before any big climbs (a few cat 3s and 4s) so on most days it HTC want to they could go after them. The notable ones they won't (i think) are.

Stage 9's is after a 3x2 Cat and 3x3 Cat climbs so that won't be one for CAV
    Stage 14 to Plateau de Beille comes very early on but after a CAT 2 climb
    Stage 19 is at the foot of Alpe D'Huez having gone over the Galibier
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • tailwindhome
    BigMat wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    a young Lance would have.

I'm being entirely serious.

Oh really? Look up Lance's pre-1999 tour results.

Please God no.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    I think he does it deliberately to wind up the pedant's.

:D
  • tailwindhome
    ketsbaia wrote:
    I think he does it deliberately to wind up the pedant's.

:D

Quiet. You're scaring the fish.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    See Swift made the squad..
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    See Swift made the squad..

That's brilliant news.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • bigmat
    Really pleased to see Swift in there, will be great to see him and Cav both contesting the sprints - outside bet for stage 1 and yellow?!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    BigMat wrote:
    Really pleased to see Swift in there, will be great to see him and Cav both contesting the sprints - outside bet for stage 1 and yellow?!

Not really.

Expect a Hushovd, GIlbert win, with Ciolek, Pozzato types in the mix.
  • bigmat
    BigMat wrote:

Not really.

So who would be an outside bet? I'm pretty sure Sky will try and put somebody up there, either EBH or Swift. Swift can climb a bit for a sprinter. Anyway, its not that tough a finish - Cav is eyeing it as a possible win so I'm not sure it will be Gilbert territory.
  • rick_chasey
    BigMat wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

Not really.

So who would be an outside bet? I'm pretty sure Sky will try and put somebody up there, either EBH or Swift. Swift can climb a bit for a sprinter. Anyway, its not that tough a finish - Cav is eyeing it as a possible win so I'm not sure it will be Gilbert territory.

Cavendish said the same about the barcelona finish in '09 and he was nowhere.

HTC may decide it's more suited to Goss (if he's racing), and put it all on him.

If I was team boss, with Cavendish already leaving at the end of the season - s'what I would do.

Other power sprinters are an outside bet. Boonen will probably do OK if he decides he fancies it (which is debatable, especially in a racey punchy first stage) Ciolek if he's not riding for Boonen (he finished top 5 in Barcelona I believe).

Hushovd's got to be favourite though, surely.
  • tailwindhome
    edited June 2011
    Would the bump before the end be enough to see a split in the field?

How will the Team Time Trial the following day influence strategy. Presumably the team with the best time in the TTT will take yellow so the stratgey for Stage 1 may be influenced by the aim being last out for the TTT.
  • bigmat
    BigMat wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

Not really.

Cavendish said the same about the barcelona finish in '09 and he was nowhere.

HTC may decide it's more suited to Goss (if he's racing), and put it all on him.

If I was team boss, with Cavendish already leaving at the end of the season - s'what I would do.

Other power sprinters are an outside bet. Boonen will probably do OK if he decides he fancies it (which is debatable, especially in a racey punchy first stage) Ciolek if he's not riding for Boonen (he finished top 5 in Barcelona I believe).

Hushovd's got to be favourite though, surely.

It does seem to suit Hushovd - funny that he's the strongest climber out of the sprinters, he's a big guy. Is Asthma-jet riding? He got over the bumps pretty well in the Giro.
  • rick_chasey
    Would the bump before the end be enough to see a split in the field?

A split is a little generous.

It'll be a bit like the Poggio, though less extreme > fast, and it'll be the sprinters who lose the least ground without going too deep who will be in the mix. A few of the flatlander domestiques who are spent might fall off the back. It's really not all that though.

The sprint is more uphill than Cav is making out. It's a categorised climb. (just).
  • rick_chasey
    BigMat wrote:

It does seem to suit Hushovd - funny that he's the strongest climber out of the sprinters, he's a big guy. Is Asthma-jet riding? He got over the bumps pretty well in the Giro.

S'probably more because guys like Hushovd rely on their sheer power over acceleration & aero. Boonen's similar. His bobbing style is hardly going to set drag figures alight in a windtunnel.

Even Canc could get up into the top 10. He can turn out a reasonable sprint. Proper classics guys.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    BigMat wrote:

S'probably more because guys like Hushovd rely on their sheer power over acceleration & aero. Boonen's similar. His bobbing style is hardly going to set drag figures alight in a windtunnel.

Even Canc could get up into the top 10. He can turn out a reasonable sprint. Proper classics guys.

Didn't Cancellara break away abt a km from the end of an early stage in the 2007 Tour and just about hold the bunch off?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    My boy Geraint is in the team! Yes!!!

It's always good to get behind one rider and follow his progress if you're a relative newb like me. I'll leave all the tactical warfare to you seasoned veterans.

Anyway, question?

Cavendish is leaving HTC? What team will he be going to?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Cavendish is leaving HTC? What team will he be going to?

Sky.
  • rick_chasey
    cjcp wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

Didn't Cancellara break away abt a km from the end of an early stage in the 2007 Tour and just about hold the bunch off?

I believe so, but that wasn't so much uphill. It was just pure class on a bike. Stage 3 into Compiègne where Paris - Roubaix sets off from. In yellow too if I remember right.

Forgot EBH as a favourite for stage 1 - though he seems to always be tipped and never wins.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

The 'Holy Cow' stage. That's taken on a new meaning in the last year or so...

Great to see Swift in the squad. He's had good results all year and was sprinting comparably with Goss and Hushovd on the tough stages in the TdSuisse
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • tailwindhome
    One more big sleep!

Predictions time.....

Yellow Jersey ..........Schleck (A)
    Green Jersey .........Cav
    Polka Dot...........Schleck (A)
    WIggins........9th
    Cav stage wins........3
    Cav v Commissaires ......2
    First Stage........Gilbert (though I want to say Thor)
    Alpe Dhuez.......Contador
  • MaxwellBygraves
    MaxwellBygraves Posts: 1,353
    Yellow Jersey ..........Contador (A)
    WIggins........4th
    Cav stage wins........4
    Cav v Commissaires ......1
    First Stage........Gilbert (P)
    Alpe Dhuez.......Shleck (A)
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Feck - I've just thought - I'm away camping this weekend. I've set Sky to record ITV4 HD but I NEED to avoid any news at all until I get to watch the highlights on Sunday evening.

If ANY of you gits start any bloody threads with titles that give the results away...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Contador booed at the team presentation? Anyone would think that he had been caught cheating then let off easy....
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Yellow Jersey ..........Schleck (A)
    WIggins........7th
    Cav stage wins........3
    Cav v Commissaires ......5
    First Stage........Ben Swift
    Alpe Dhuez.......Contador
    White...... Geraint Thomas
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game