Tour De France 2011 - The Commuters Spolier Thread

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,346
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
12 more big sleeps

Are ya excited yet? Are ya? Are Ya?

Will Cav win the Green Jersey? Will he be in Yellow on Day 1?
Will Contador win Yellow? Should he be there at all?
Will the Schelcks grow up and race?
Will TailWindHome get peace to watch the Alpe DHuez stage?

lacarte.jpg
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Will JG fall asleep watching the highlights of stage 1 on french telly? You betcha
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Are ITV covering it this year?

I got into the habit of watching the highlights on ITV player of an evening last time around.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Will Contador win Yellow? Should he be there at all?
    Will the Schelcks grow up and race?

Maybe. No.
    Yes. No.
    No
    exercise.png
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Someone has got to say it!

I'm in too minds I simply don't know if I'll be excited or not. I would be a lot more excited it Contador was either not racing or had already been cleared by CAS. But right now the I can't help thinking I'll be watching the race for 2nd place, or simply getting more and more disinterested as the tour goes on as I did at the Giro. I'm looking forward to seeing how the fans react to Contador on the climbs though it will not be pretty. The guy with the meat on a stick in the Giro was funny.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • jonginge
    nation wrote:
    Are ITV covering it this year?

I got into the habit of watching the highlights on ITV player of an evening last time around.
    Yep. Similar coverage on ITV4 as last year. I've got a DVR full of the live and highlights shows :oops:
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Are us pro-race forumites allowed to post in this thread?

Or is it just for people who wear neon and say things like "who is in the lead?" 5 minutes before the sprint finish on stage 1.

:wink:
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    That time of year when I desperately try to avoid the day's results until I can watch the highlights, and forget that these days I follow a lot of cycling news types on Twitter. Since I joined Twitter, avoiding results has been much harder. =/

Like Sketchley, I'm looking forward to meat-related shenanigans from spectators.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709

Or is it just for people who wear neon and say things like "who is in the lead?" 5 minutes before the sprint finish on stage 1.

:wink:

Is that Beryl Burton riding this year or has she been banned for illegal use of jelly babies?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Having watched the TdS, I can't understand the Schlecks. What were they playing at? The boys undoubtedly have talent, as proved by Andy taking the green jersey when he could actually be bothered, but the have no strategic nouse. WTF were Leopard Trek doing pacing the yellow jersey to the finish on all of the mountain stages? Where were the attacks? Did they not want to win it?

Good to see Wiggins in the Dauphine but I've got my doubts about him taking the fight to Contador in the mountains, more like limiting his losses and going for a big TT performance. Which given Contador's Giro performance doesn't look like such a good idea...
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    JonGinge wrote:
    Will JG fall asleep watching the highlights of stage 1 on french telly? You betcha

First thing's first: let's make sure we're there in time for the highlights to start..
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tailwindhome

On a case by case basis.

Me wrote:
    The Stone wrote:
    Maybe. No.

That may have been my first of many stupid questions on this thread. Is the first stage not a ordinary road stage this year instead of the usual prologue?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    cjcp wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

First thing's first: let's make sure we're there in time for the highlights to start..

Silly Commuters on (Le) Tour?
  • rick_chasey

That may have been my first of many stupid questions on this thread. Is the first stage not a ordinary road stage this year instead of the usual prologue?

Indeed it is.

They've put the finish ontop of a hill though, to get a little more differential.

Expect Gilbert to be in yellow for the first week, and don't expect any sprinters to be in green untill around week 2.
  • jonginge
    AC brought his 2009 form to the giro not his 2010 form. We saw what happened there. He says that he's still tired from the giro:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contado ... -difficult
    In another recent interview he said he arrived at the 2010 tdf exhausted. Maybe this year will be close again. We'll see.

Wiggo was as good as he needed to be at the dauphine. I don't think he'll ever be as explosive on the climbs as an AC, Schlecklet, Rodriguez or even a van den Broeck but a top ten should be achievable. Hoping for a top 5...
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • TheStone

Correct and not a stupid question.
    Cav has a chance, but there's a bit of a kick up towards the end of the stage and I'd suspect they'll be too many people wanting to take the chance of yellow.
    exercise.png
  • rick_chasey
    JonGinge wrote:
    AC brought his 2009 form to the giro not his 2010 form. We saw what happened there. He says that he's still tired from the giro:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contado ... -difficult
    In another recent interview he said he arrived at the 2010 tdf exhausted. Maybe this year will be close again. We'll see.

Wiggo was as good as he needed to be at the dauphine. I don't think he'll ever be as explosive on the climbs as an AC, Schlecklet, Rodriguez or even a van den Broeck but a top ten should be achievable. Hoping for a top 5...

I would be surprised if Wiggins makes top 5. Not enough TTkms and there are enough climbers who seem to be stronger this year to make it very difficult for him to break the top 5.

It doesn't help that the main TT will be in the 3rd week, where your tiredness will count for an awful lot more.
  • TheStone
    cjcp wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

What time are the french highlights? Latest time to be back from the Marmotte is 21h14, so that's my aim.

An hour power nap before the fight (if it's on up there).
    exercise.png
  • jonginge
    cjcp wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Silly Commuters on (Le) Tour?
    La Marmotte is on the same day as the grand depart...
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    The climb 100m in the final km, which is quite soon after coming over small cat 4 climb. It won't be a Cav stage. Hushovd will fancy it though.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • sketchley
    Just looked a profile for stage 1, my prediction is Thomas Voeckler
    --
    Chris

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Can't wait!

Last year I would take a late lunch hour and pop over to the Rapha Cafe on Clerkenwell Road for the last bit of the day's stage. But alas, the Rapha Cafe is no more. Can anyone recommend another spot to catch Le Tour? Look Mum No Hands on Old Street would seem the obvious choice, but they're not being as vocal about showing it as they were about The Giro.
  • sketchley
    notsoblue wrote:
    Can't wait!

Last year I would take a late lunch hour and pop over to the Rapha Cafe on Clerkenwell Road for the last bit of the day's stage. But alas, the Rapha Cafe is no more. Can anyone recommend another spot to catch Le Tour? Look Mum No Hands on Old Street would seem the obvious choice, but they're not being as vocal about showing it as they were about The Giro.

Look mum no hands records all the stages then play back the last hour around 6pm each evening. I work 400 yards down the road! Yay!

They have beer and cake.

What more do you want.

Oh get there early or there isn't any space.
    --
    Chris

• FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Looks handily situated for me at Leadenhall Market - 5 minute ride!!
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    TheStone wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

What time are the french highlights? Latest time to be back from the Marmotte is 21h14, so that's my aim.

An hour power nap before the fight (if it's on up there).

Not sure. Will have to check at the hotel when we get down there.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I 'watch' it on the live text update whilst at work....and sky+ the highlights.....works for me.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I tend to catch the highlights and gawp at the hills as the racing much as any sport tends to leave me cold.

The few times i've watched local races with folks I know it's been fun. But big tv stuff is great spectacle but do I care who wins? no.
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    will terrestrial tv be showing it? or the highlights?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    << DDD wades in with his self assured ramblings >>

I like the Tour, I do!

Predictions:

Cav will win nothing but some sprint stages. If he can't get up them big hills to win a few intermediate sprints then he'll always be the fastest sprinter on the tour but not the best rider challenging for the green jersey.

Wiggo: Hope he pulls his finger out. Nuff said.

People I'd like to see:
    Geraint Thomas, awesome name that Geraint.
    Ben Swift
    Edvald Boasson Hagen
    Vicenzo Niballi

And I'm gonna say it, I'd like to see Downing there just you know for that hometown - I've been to your shop (Condor) feel.

Lastly, I like Contador so I'll be happy if he wins. Wish Schleck or someone else would man up and go balls-out and push him into nose bleed levels of trying.... a young Lance would have.

I'm being entirely serious.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • sketchley
    richVSrich wrote:

http://www.itv.com/sport/tourdefrance/n ... 10withitv/
    --
    Chris

• richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    richVSrich wrote:

NVM - found it! ITV4 and online! :)