Critérium du Dauphiné - SPOILER

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    josame wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    josame wrote:
    How much time did EBH lose??
    Doesn't really matter does it? He's unlikely to survive the last 2 stages.

yee of such little faith

Someone answer...10 seconds, 20..??
    Couple of minutes I think. He trundled over the line disconsolately near the end of the ES coverage
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    josame wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    josame wrote:

yee of such little faith

4'31".
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    afx237vi wrote:
    josame wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    josame wrote:

yee of such little faith

4'31".

oh ok ... wow
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Carlton's voice is familiar to fans of Motorsports and Cycling both on British Television and throughout the world.

For over 20 years, be it the Tour de France, Olympic Games, Monte Carlo Rally or Le Mans 24 Hours, his easy-going manner coupled with incisive commentary and a dramatic edge has made him an audience favourite.

His style combines a great depth of knowledge with a warm sense of humour and the sharpest of reactions to make an occasion of any sporting event.

Nap - I think you have your work cut out going by these words on his website

"an audience favourite" "Great depth of knowledge" :D My A*se !!!!
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    I rode the L2P last year and had a chat on one of the stages with Backstedt about Kirby... he had insightful comments :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    www.dotcycling.com
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    josame wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    josame wrote:

yee of such little faith
    Just realistic. I know some see him as a GC rider, but don't know why really. He has never shown anything in the high mountains, has he? Oman perhaps, but February in the desert doesn't really count. As if being good at sprints, TTs and hills isn't impressive enough.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    emadden wrote:
    I rode the L2P last year and had a chat on one of the stages with Backstedt about Kirby... he had insightful comments :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Do Tell ????? Or was it along the lines of "the guys a £%$*&g clown.
  • FJS
    Dan Martin, Dario Cataldo, Tony Martin and LL Sanchez losing almost 8 minutes

Interesting that Van den Broeck was given as losing 6 seconds - he punctured within last 3 kms, but a bit arbitrary how this works on such an uphill finish; there were groups coming in at 30 or 50 seconds too
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    VdB crossed not that long after the leaders or so it seemed from the ES coverage
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    "an audience favourite" "Great depth of knowledge" :D My A*se !!!!

I was going to say that his main sport is motorbikes and maybe they appreciate him....

...But then I looked at a few motorcycling forums and they say exactly the same sort of things as we do on here (only worse).

(Personally, I quite like him as the 'third man' at the Tour where he can liven up a dull stage with some outrageous stories)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    FJS wrote:
    josame wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    josame wrote:

yee of such little faith
    Just realistic. I know some see him as a GC rider, but don't know why really. He has never shown anything in the high mountains, has he? Oman perhaps, but February in the desert doesn't really count. As if being good at sprints, TTs and hills isn't impressive enough.

I'm not so sure, I would put him in the Ullrich bracket and (puting doping aside which in that era I think can be done) he didn't seem to have trouble at altitude :?
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • emadden
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    emadden wrote:

Do Tell ????? Or was it along the lines of "the guys a £%$*&g clown.

Cant tell.... I guess they may read these forums... Brian Smith does :-)
    www.dotcycling.com
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Would expect more from both Martins. I'm hoping Tony is ill as 8mins for a PN'11 winner isnt good at all. LLS....hmmm what can you say for one whose form has vanished.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FJS
    josame wrote:
    I'm not so sure, I would put him in the Ullrich bracket and (puting doping aside which in that era I think can be done) he didn't seem to have trouble at altitude :?
    Ullrich was a climber from the start. He was 2nd in his first Tour de France, in his second year as pro, not 116th (you should hear Bikingbernie if he suddenly flies on the high mountain climbs :wink: ). H'es very young, so he can develop in all kinds of ways, but there's nothing as of yet to indicate he would be top level in the mountains. As I said, being world class at sprinting, TTs and hills and is unique enough
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Agree with all the Kathy Kirby comments. He was on sparkling form, today.
    My personal favourite was.......................Tara May. Whotf? :oops:
    Big John Degenkolb can't hide anymore. Another jet powered panzerwagon.
    22 going on 32.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    “I feel really strong and it will be a very good test for the Tour de France,”
    -Martin

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/8651/ ... z1ObjvgxVu
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FJS
    Big John Degenkolb can't hide anymore. Another jet powered panzerwagon. 22 going on 32.
    Degenkolb, Matthews or Boasson H - tough hilly stage PTP choices ahead the next 10 years or so...
  • frenchfighter
    AP
    ap-201106071031378683200.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Would expect more from both Martins. I'm hoping Tony is ill as 8mins for a PN'11 winner isnt good at all. LLS....hmmm what can you say for one whose form has vanished.

Early Dauphine effect?
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Tony Martin is just training - he'll do great at the tour.

Very impressed by Degenkolb - he could easily lose 5kg and no power.

Complete tangent but what's that eurosport advert all about:"the spring classics are over..."

Yep, thanks for letting me know. Do they even know they've been showing the giro for most of May?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My 7yo daughter made me laugh the other day when the Nibali and Basso Sidi advert was on. She said "Daddy, the other day there was one of these adverts on with a horrible man covered in oil."
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    The Sidi adverts should be certified. A Horrible Man covered in oil and people eating shoes ? Now please. A couple of years ago they had the Samu Sanchez "spin the bottle" effort, closely followed by Bertie in his white suit. I recall Paulo Bettini doing some crazy things too.

Get Carlton a job in Sidi's marketing department, that'd be a laugh.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Wet and windy for the TT today. Nice
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Wet and windy but conditions easing for the late starters.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328

Prudhomme was talking about how the route this year is designed to encourage riders to take risks – let’s hope we see some of the second tier of GC contenders do just that. I’ll believe it when I see it though.

The Giro hast just proved you can design and big up a route all you want but if the riders dont play ball the race turns out to be one long snoozefest as the Giro undoubtedly was.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Yes, it's all about the riders. There's no point in a long range attack if Contador's going to make his boys ride on the front, chase you down and then prance up the final climb like a butcher's dog.
  • moray_gub
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Dear Eurosport

Hi, I'm interested in becoming a commentator for cycling coverage on your channel. I am very keen on cycling and am an avid watcher, I am able to randomly say funny foreign names in the the hope I get them right once or twice and I can talk crap for England. For example, I have nearly 12,000 post on the Bikeradar forum and approximately 2 of those have useful content.
    I think that I would be a sound candidate for when Harmon is off.

Thanks,

NapD

Nap you can get my vote :D - Kirby is like a very bad comedian who laugh`s at his own jokes ....You can just picture smith next to him thinking what a fud.... Magnus Backstedt would be better than this idiot.

Ok he is sh*t but i think you are overplaying it here, who really gives a monkeys as long as the racing is as good as it was yesterday it could be the queen commentating for all i care.
  • moray_gub

That the blood passport system is working ?
  • emadden
    Ok... I think we were a bit hard on poor Carlton yesterday... Even though he has his short-comings, he does all of us fans a service and I guess we should be thankful, and thankful that eurosport shows so much of our sport. When I was growing up in Ireland you woul dbe lucky to get 30 mins on Sports Stadium once a quarter... .... But yesterday, at certain points (particularly towards the end) it sounded as if Carlton was going do something along the lines of the chorus line in this funny tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnWf1sQkjY

:lol::lol::lol:
    www.dotcycling.com
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Tony Martin giving it some. The profile isn't as flat as I'd expected:
    http://www.letour.fr/us/homepage_courseCDD.html
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides