Critérium du Dauphiné - SPOILER

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Voeckler ups the pace again... peloton not far behind, though. Tony Martin suffering.
  • afx237vi
    Is that EBH still towards the front? Wiggo still there, too.
  • afx237vi
    Gesink, Sam Sanchez both gone out the back.
  • andyjr
    andyjr Posts: 635
    afx237vi wrote:
    Voeckler ups the pace again... peloton not far behind, though. Tony Martin suffering.

Don't say things like that. That'll be my PTP hopes going up in smoke already
  • afx237vi
    andyjr wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Don't say things like that. That'll be my PTP hopes going up in smoke already

Well, I have Gesink, so we're both stuffed.

VDB has this.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    What a break. You could see the panic in the overhead shot when he went.
  • afx237vi
    1 VDB
    2. J Rod
    3 Evans
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    VDB amateur with his jersey
    www.dotcycling.com
  • jp1985
    jp1985 Posts: 434
    emadden wrote:

Give him a break, he's never won a race before
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 560
    emadden wrote:

but his legs were pro. great break that. real change of pace
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    emadden wrote:

He's never had to worry about that before as a pro!

Impressive ride, Evans still well placed for GC though. Good climbing from EBH too, hopefully he has sorted out his injury problems and we'll get a chance to see what he can really do.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • afx237vi
    What, no-one remembers his victory in the 2003 Zellik-Galmaarden race? The two-up sprint with Bart Bastiaens? And you call yourself cycling fans?!

http://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/race.asp?raceid=9855
  • emadden
    jp1985 wrote:
    emadden wrote:

Give him a break, he's never won a race before

I didnt realise that too... actually a bit surprised it was his first... tears on the podium too
    www.dotcycling.com
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited October 2012
    Quality win.

1 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto 3:36:42
    2 Joaquin Rodriguez Oliver (Spa) Katusha Team 0:00:06
    3 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:00:07
    4 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) Pro Team Astana
    5 Nicolas Roche (Irl) AG2R La Mondiale
    6 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Sky Procycling
    7 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ 0:00:13
    8 Rob Ruijgh (Ned) Vacansoleil-DCM Pro Cycling Team
    9 Thomas Voeckler (Fra) Team Europcar 0:00:15
    10 Janez Brajkovic (Slo) Team RadioShack
    Contador is the Greatest
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    wiggo looking good for taking the lead wednesday. Good to see Roche showing some form.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Nico Roche a good outside bet for TdF (podium at least)? Sky had numbers there at the end too.
  • inkyfingers
    mroli wrote:
    Nico Roche a good outside bet for TdF (podium at least)? Sky had numbers there at the end too.

I don't think so. Top 10 maybe, but I don't he's got the explosive climbing ability to stay with the top climbers and his TT isn't all that either
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    Not a good look!
    tumblr_lmcriaIfmH1qa3ggpo1_500.jpg

Random aside. Check out Cannondale 40 yrs Lim etd kit at Phili:
    tumblr_lmdkttWoQ91qa3ggpo1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    Not a good look!
    tumblr_lmcriaIfmH1qa3ggpo1_500.jpg

It must be hard to make a yellow and red kit not look garish. Oh and look at that funny bike he's riding, that might explain why his results this year have been so unremarkable!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Van den Broeck has looked a lot stronger this year than in past. I think many, including me were so bowled over by Gilbert that we overlooked how strong VdB was in April. Since I didn't see this stage it'd be interesting to see if his positioning has improved. It was pretty poor in the Tour last year.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Yep, will be really interesting to see how VDB goes in the Tour. Gesink too. Sure they’ll improve, but it’s easy to forget just how much better Contador and Schleck were last year. The time gaps don’t tell the whole story – AC and AS were so focused on each other, pretty much ignored all other riders and still put stacks of time into them.

Prudhomme was talking about how the route this year is designed to encourage riders to take risks – let’s hope we see some of the second tier of GC contenders do just that. I’ll believe it when I see it though.
  • frenchfighter
    edited June 2011
    A lot of big riders got whacked yesterday despite the lack of severity in parcours. And only 3.5hrs racing.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Last 5kms. VDB was flying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM9OobuFFx0
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    A lot of big riders got whacked yesterday despite the lack of severity in parcours. And only 3.5hrs racing.

That's the dauphine though, lost of GC candidates think it's better to use it as glorified training ride, or if you are cycnical that they are currently lacking a little blood.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    It must be hard to make a yellow and red kit not look garish.

To me the Spanish TT champion always looks like a cheap super hero. Like a Power Ranger or Radioactive Man.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inkyfingers
    RichN95 wrote:
    It must be hard to make a yellow and red kit not look garish.

To me the Spanish TT champion always looks like a cheap super hero. Like a Power Ranger or Radioactive Man.

Steak Man?
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860

That's the dauphine though, lost of GC candidates think it's better to use it as glorified training ride, or if you are cycnical that they are currently lacking a little blood.

Equally they could be keeping their powder dry and luring rivals into a false sense of security
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Spectaular scenery anyway. Great to see such a finish for stage 1 of a race, but then this is the Dauphine.

It's a bit too early for the big contenders for the Tour to be on peak form here and hold it for the big one in July.
  • emadden
    My God Carlton Kirby...shut up!
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    emadden wrote:
    My God Carlton Kirby...shut up!

+1 The guy`s a complete Fan*y - Yellow Boots ?? oh you mean Mavic cycling shoes.