Giro Stage 2 Alba - Parma **spoiler**

12346»

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    FJS wrote:
    Just had time to look at the replays for the first time, and I don't know what people are talking about - it was a clean sprint - Petacchi moved over when ahead, and Cav didn't have to move an inch because of Petacchi move. Clean. Simple. Nothing wrong. Cav admitted so, and I don't think there was an ounce of irony in Hunter's twitter post.

I only meant irony in that Hunter is usually Mr Angry on Twitter and now he's commenting on other riders losing their cool. I agree that it wasn't enough for Petacchi to get relegated.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Petacchi jumps on the outside and clears Renshaw and he goes to the left side kerb, knowing Cav will have come after him on that side.
    No problem as he was clear.
    Someone said last year that Ale Jet always went to the left kerb.
    Then it is a head down sprint with Cav having to make the decisions.

Full credit to Cav he almost made it.
    I agree with Sean Kelly
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    afx237vi wrote:
    I only meant irony in that Hunter is usually Mr Angry on Twitter and now he's commenting on other riders losing their cool.
    Can't argue with that ;)
  • You guys interested in riding the Vita cycles Sportive.
    19th June 2011.
    35mile & 85mile routes, starting from Ness Gardens on the Wirral.

Each entry will receive a raffle ticket with the winning prize being of significant value.!!!

www.vitacycles.co.uk
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    afx237vi wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    Just had time to look at the replays for the first time, and I don't know what people are talking about - it was a clean sprint - Petacchi moved over when ahead, and Cav didn't have to move an inch because of Petacchi move. Clean. Simple. Nothing wrong. Cav admitted so, and I don't think there was an ounce of irony in Hunter's twitter post.

I only meant irony in that Hunter is usually Mr Angry on Twitter and now he's commenting on other riders losing their cool. I agree that it wasn't enough for Petacchi to get relegated.

What I disagree with totally here is the 'wasn't enough'. That introduces interpretation in to things, and that leads to it being someone's view or opinion. To my mind if you want things to be fair then you have either a rule that says FPP and nothing matters, or you say if you deviate from a line by more than x you're placed last. Anything that's 'judged' is never going to be consistent. I'm certain of one thing in this, if Cav had chopped across Petacchi we'd be looking at an amended result.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    dougzz wrote:
    What I disagree with totally here is the 'wasn't enough'. That introduces interpretation in to things, and that leads to it being someone's view or opinion. To my mind if you want things to be fair then you have either a rule that says FPP and nothing matters, or you say if you deviate from a line by more than x you're placed last. Anything that's 'judged' is never going to be consistent. I'm certain of one thing in this, if Cav had chopped across Petacchi we'd be looking at an amended result.

Well duh, Petacchi's Italian, and this is the Giro.
  • cornoyemade
    cornoyemade Posts: 180
    Cav was in no way going to crash because of Petacchi's actions.

Correct. Cavy always crashes because of his own actions. The guy is a like a monkey with a hand gernade.
  • cornoyemade
    cornoyemade Posts: 180
    I, for one, am amazed that he could be angry with an injustice that was yet to occur, given that he hadn't had a complaint rejected by the race jury rejected at the time of his outburst, as it took place 0.23 seconds after the race had finished. I wonder if he is also angry at the Tour route for 2013 which has yet to be announced?[/quote]

LOL

Spot on!
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    dougzz wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    FJS wrote:

The reason that the rule is vague is that on the road every sprint is different. What if a sprint finishes 50m after a corner? Are you saying that the guy in front at the corner shouldn't hug the barrier if he hasn't been there for the last 150m? The only way objectivity could conceivably work is if they painted lanes on the road from 200m out to the finish, and if you wanted a placing you'd have to stay in one of the lanes. Which would change the nature of sprinting completely.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited May 2011
    WW
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    I finally watched my recording of this stage last night and despite being a Cav fan I can't see what the fuss was about. Yes, he may have forced Cav to lose some speed but I don't think it was dangerous at all. I would say that Cav has been hard done by in some of his DQs and especially the one that led to him losing the green jersey but DQing Petacchi here wouldn't have put that right. I also think people criticising Cav's reaction should really take note of the fact that as soon as he had a chance to reflect he admitted himself that it was OK. On a side note, I watched the Cav documentary on Eurosport last night and it really just reinforced my opinion of him - he's an emotional guy who can say or do the wrong thing in the immediate aftermath of a race but on the whole I can't see why he has so many haters, he gives honest and sensible opinions and has a real passion for the sport. I particularly liked the comment about how he would like to do more in the sport and acknowledged that he sits in 7th place behind his team as they control the breaks. As he said, he like to race a different way but it is professional sport where winning is all that counts and "it's not a ******* hobby".
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    God Almighty (if there is one)
    Hav'nt you people ever been in a bunch sprint on the road or track or are you all Sportives and couch people.

God has spoken (that's Sean Kelly of course)
    whinge, whinge, whinge. :roll:

On the point that this is the Giro so they won't DQ the home rider.
    Nobody remember that ridiculous Betinni DQ in a Giro Stage a few years ago.
    Because a dumb ass thinks he can pass on the barriers and waves his arm because he can't.

Why the hell do you get to the side if only to know it's only the other side you watch.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Bettini pushed Baden Cooke into the barriers after Cooke had gone for the gap which Betinni duly closed.

It wasn't "some dumbass trying to get through a gap that wasn't there"