Calling SE London...

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
There seem to be quite a few SE Londoners on here these days and it would be really good to put faces to names.... I was just wondering if anyone wanted to form a break away pub night somewhere dahn our way? I always intend to go to the Morpeth and I have been a couple of times but it always seems to a bit of a pain to get to... It's not really but I was just wondering if any SE Londoners fancied mtg up somewhere more convenient.

Or we could simply consider setting up a convoy ride into work one morning! I know that sometime before Christmas when the snow was still with is there was an attempt at that.

Anyway, let me know....
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• noodles71
    noodles71 Posts: 153
    I wonder if the reason we have many of us cycling is because SE Trains are so overcrowded, expensive and always late???
  • Headhuunter
    noodles71 wrote:
    I wonder if the reason we have many of us cycling is because SE Trains are so overcrowded, expensive and always late???

Yeah that's probably true for much of London!
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Both pub and convoy ideas sound good to me, after the snowy chain gang we agreed to do it again but setting off in time to stop for a bacon buttie before work but we never got round to it.

Alternatively I was also planning to post to see if any of the SE gang fancied meeting up for some Sunday rides, I tend to go out on my own 7-8 am on Sunday morning and do 35-50 mile circuits down into Kent if anyone fancies that?

This is my short route, 33 miles 2-2.5 hours:http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=208651

And a longer one at 48 miles with a couple of hills, best time so far of 3:15: http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=197705

Some company would be welcome.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Headhuunter
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Both pub and convoy ideas sound good to me, after the snowy chain gang we agreed to do it again but setting off in time to stop for a bacon buttie before work but we never got round to it.

Alternatively I was also planning to post to see if any of the SE gang fancied meeting up for some Sunday rides, I tend to go out on my own 7-8 am on Sunday morning and do 35-50 mile circuits down into Kent if anyone fancies that?

This is my short route, 33 miles 2-2.5 hours:http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=208651

And a longer one at 48 miles with a couple of hills, best time so far of 3:15: http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=197705

Like the idea of a ride in Kent but not so much at 7-8am!! Sleeeeeep....
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    I'd be up for pub, convoy and Sunday rides. Bit irregular, though, as my routine is all over the place at the moment, what with dropping the kids at school three days a week and having them every other weekend.

Can I suggest somewhere like the Prince Albert in Deptford/New Cross borders as a possible boozer? Or the Herne Tavern, maybe?
  • Butterd2
    I could push the Sunday rides out to 9am? I like to go fairly early as the roads are quieter and I can be back before the wife and kids get up so I do not expend any Brownie points by going out.

To start the ball rolling then I will be going out on the longer route this Sunday at 9am.........
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Weekends are tough to do a ride, but beer to meetup with forum members would be good.

OP, any thoughts on which part of SE London as it covers a fair old area?
  • Headhuunter
    Butterd2 wrote:
    I could push the Sunday rides out to 9am? I like to go fairly early as the roads are quieter and I can be back before the wife and kids get up so I do not expend any Brownie points by going out.

To start the ball rolling then I will be going out on the longer route this Sunday at 9am.........

Yeah, 9am should be fine... Can't do this weekend though! Sorry.... Perhaps a beer or 2 somewhere local next week and then a ride one Sunday?
  • Headhuunter
    Butterd2 wrote:

Tha route looks a bit hardcore A road! I can take you all along the Dulwich Paragon Saturady route if you like, which is more on rural, country side roads, The distance is probably more like 35-40 miles though
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 wrote:

Yeah, 9am should be fine... Can't do this weekend though! Sorry.... Perhaps a beer or 2 somewhere local next week and then a ride one Sunday?

No problem, I'll be going anyway especially as I am away the weekend after so need to get a few miles in. Beers would be good, local for me is the Charlton/Blackheath/Greenwich area but anywhere on the Jamaica Rd cycle superhighway works. What about yourself?
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    I'm up for a pub meet someplace :)

Is there a nice pub in Deptford/New Cross :o
  • Butterd2
    Pufftmw wrote:

That was my first reaction too!!
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Certainly up for a beer, and once I get the gears sorted on the roadie I'll be up for the ride too.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Headhuunter
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Pufftmw wrote:

That was my first reaction too!!

The Prince Albert in Deptford's not a bad little place... I think I've been there once before. Or the Amersham Arms in New Cross, or somewhere in Greenwich... I don't mind really...
  • dhope
    Greenwich
    Good suggestion :D
    Near to home too, fancy that.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • ketsbaia
    Prince Albert would be good as there's plenty of space to lock bikes. And it serves half-decent beer too.

I've got a great route for a Sunday ride in the Kent hills that I used to do in training for last year's Marmotte. It can be anything from 30-odd miles to 65+, depending on how many hills you fancy climbing.
  • Headhuunter
    So shall we do beers somewhere next Thu or Fri? Then may be a ride the following weekend or something?
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    I'm in (for beers, certainly - ride week on Sunday possibly).

Keep me posted!

Cheers

Hamish D of Hither Green . . .
  • Pufftmw
    <stalker mode on>
    HamishD wrote:

Ooh... That's very close to me...

Turn off up Manor Park?

<stalker mode off>
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    may be able to do thursday but fridays are usually spent with the missus...
    Hat + Beard
  • ketsbaia
    So shall we do beers somewhere next Thu or Fri? Then may be a ride the following weekend or something?

Damn. Can't do Thursday nor Friday next week. But probably can do the Sunday ride the week after.
  • Butterd2
    Thurs would work for me, does someone have a map to the Prince Albert?
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • dhope
    Butterd2 wrote:

I think Google Maps have maps. If you look for the Prince Albert, in Deptford. You'll need to open up your Internets first though :twisted:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Headhuunter
    dhope wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:

I think Google Maps have maps. If you look for the Prince Albert, in Deptford. You'll need to open up your Internets first though :twisted:

http://www.fancyapint.com/pubs/pub3419.php
    OK, Thu 10th OK for everyone?
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    ahh that's on my street that is (it's a long street). :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Pufftmw wrote:
    <stalker mode on>
    HamishD wrote:

Turn off up Manor Park?

<stalker mode off>

Alas, I am on the poor Catford side of the tracks . . .

Thursday 10th at the Prince Albert is a can do
  • ariba
    ariba Posts: 48
    also see a lot of people up manor lane/manor park...

Ariba - also Hither Green!

(on an old yellow decathlon - hi Hatbeard!)
    --

Battaglin C13 (white)
    Cube Analog (green/white)
    Decathlon 7.3 (yellow)
    Pinnacle Arkose 3 (grey)
    Looking for bike n+1
  • Pufftmw
    HamishD wrote:
    Pufftmw wrote:
    <stalker mode on>
    HamishD wrote:

Turn off up Manor Park?

<stalker mode off>

Alas, I am on the poor Catford side of the tracks . . .

Thursday 10th at the Prince Albert is a can do

Ah, just wondering if I'd seen you turning off there - I go a bit further up Lee High Road...
  • it'd be rude not to join you guys given I live closer to the pub than Hatbeard....what times kick off? HB - fancy walking me down there?
  • frankieh
    frankieh Posts: 85
    I'll pop by and say hello, probably.