Tour of QATAR **Spoilers**

Comments

• Exactly. We watch it on TV, so the organisers get the money off Sporza, Eurosport, RAI etc.

If there's no crowds by the roadside doesn't mean it shouldn't be held, there's still an audience for it.
  • corona
    corona Posts: 116
    I love it, This stage started in Dukhan (where i live) population bout 2000. Of those 7 have road bikes and are remotely interested. I got my colleage to cover my class for an hour. I hopped on my bike and less than a minute later am chatting to Wiggins, very friendly, and Cavendish, a bit more focussed but up for a picture, mind you he did look a bit sore.

No security, no crowds, brilliant. ( my 15 year old Look frame drew some admiring giggles from the pros).May be a bit selfish but its the highlight of my year.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    corona wrote:
    I love it, This stage started in Dukhan (where i live) population bout 2000. Of those 7 have road bikes and are remotely interested. I got my colleage to cover my class for an hour. I hopped on my bike and less than a minute later am chatting to Wiggins, very friendly, and Cavendish, a bit more focussed but up for a picture, mind you he did look a bit sore.

No security, no crowds, brilliant. ( my 15 year old Look frame drew some admiring giggles from the pros).May be a bit selfish but its the highlight of my year.

Sounds ace!

I get the whole TV coverage money thing, but are the organisers really going to make back the money of putting the race on? I know its not the fans on the roadside that pay, but how much are broadcasters realistically going to pay for coverage of a race that really isn't going to draw in big viewing figures?

Like I say, I probably miss this point with it, but I'm also an avid F1 fan and have seen new race after new race spring up in the Far East over the last 10 years.....and they cant draw in the fans for this either!
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Tom BB wrote:
    It does make you wonder why the put the race on though doesn't it? I mean yesterday was ridiculous in terms of the course etc......if nobody wants to go and watch cycling there, why go there? Surely it isn't value for money for whoever is promoting the event? Or perhaps it is and its just another example of the Far East trying to embrace selected bits of Western culture? Think I probably miss the point of it all somewhere!

They host the race as a long winded tourist ad.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Tom BB wrote:
    corona wrote:

Sounds ace!

I get the whole TV coverage money thing, but are the organisers really going to make back the money of putting the race on? I know its not the fans on the roadside that pay, but how much are broadcasters realistically going to pay for coverage of a race that really isn't going to draw in big viewing figures?

Like I say, I probably miss this point with it, but I'm also an avid F1 fan and have seen new race after new race spring up in the Far East over the last 10 years.....and they cant draw in the fans for this either!

Just like in the case of motor sport, I would guess that one of the sheiks is a big cycling fan and why have a team as a toy, when you can have the fun of your own tour de france in your back garden!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    I really don't think they race is being funded to turn a profit. It more then likely runs at a massive loss. Anyone beleive that Qatar is really going to turn a profit from the world cup when they will pretty much have to build everything for a 2 week event?

Surely this is more abbout awareness and looking to increase aware so the country can get involved with more marketing/investment oppotunities.... other then say.. shifting oil? Either that or to just show off that they can do such things.
  • corona
    Definitely not run to make a profit, its to raise the profile of the country. Same reason they host mens and ladies tennis comps, the Qatar golf open, various football games, they are paying for publicity.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Presumably they will have plenty of helicopter shots, showing stunning looking hotel complexes and anything else that the area has to offer. People will see that on tv and take note subconsciously. Suddenly a place that they would never consider visiting is on their to-do list. Maybe some people will even travel out there specifically to watch the race and get to meet riders in the relaxed surroundings described by corona.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    For those who saw it - was the sprint pretty straightforward, or were they all a little battered from the wind?
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Garmin, Sky & Leopard all turned up to the party wearing the same dress. DIfficult to make out who's who while cheekily watching in a small window at work.
    Just as difficult at times on a big screen I assure you. As ever Harmon does a good job calling it though.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    For those who saw it - was the sprint pretty straightforward, or were they all a little battered from the wind?

My Eurosport player decided to reload with 1km to go ffs!.....came back on to see Boonen going for a long one with Renshaw and Haussler unable to get him back-seemed pretty sedate in bunch sprint terms....
  • phil s wrote:
    What Sporza doesn't show there is that his tub rolled and he fell after the line - http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-of-qatar-2-1-1/prologue-itt/results

flecha.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Contador is the Greatest
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Was this course 2km or over? Assuming 2km, top speed is a paltry 23.7 mph average. Unless the winds were horrendous.

Just saw a link saying 2.5km : that would make just under 30mph which is seems much more reasonable.
    The winds are horrendous out here right now - and so dusty
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    corona wrote:
    Definitely not run to make a profit, its to raise the profile of the country. Same reason they host mens and ladies tennis comps, the Qatar golf open, various football games, they are paying for publicity.

My best friend is applying for a teaching job in Qatar. I've priced flights for next year already. All she has to do is get the job now.

Didn't the Tom Boonen fanclub turn up one year, wearing Belgian flags?
  • corona
    Yes I remember the year the Boonen fan club turned up. He was almost unbeatable here so they were nearly guaranteed a win. I think some posters have been a little unfair commenting on the lack of crowds. Remember today is a working day in Middle East and the final day on Friday has always drawn a decent attendance. Hope your best friend :wink::wink: gets the job, Qatar can be a great place to work.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I'll pass that on, Corona!
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    He has a pretty awful position on the bike visually. Compared to Boonen too.

Getty
    2aac613760d4b35196700c9f6d63dac3-getty-cycling-qat-tour-eng-cavendish.jpg

Thought it was just Audax riders that had beards :!: :shock:

So I have seen the prologue and stage 1 and can safely say that this venue is only fit for Kite Surfing and climbing tall buildings (preferably early in the day before the wind gets up).

Roll on the Tour of the Algarve where they have bends in roads that aren't flat and you even get spectators watching. Best of all I shall be there watching and riding in country where bikes belong. 8)
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    any live feeds available - they start in an hour - thank goodness the wind has dropped.

Cav looks a mess this morning
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Today's racing should be underway soon.

Just an add-on to yesterday's action. Reading the cyclingnews report from yesterday it seems that Cav was in the front group at first but got dropped when the man in front of him couldnt hold on to the back of the group.

Wonder if Wiggins is being sarky here? :wink:

http://twitter.com/bradwiggins
  • rick_chasey
    Today's racing should be underway soon.

Just an add-on to yesterday's action. Reading the cyclingnews report from yesterday it seems that Cav was in the front group at first but got dropped when the man in front of him couldnt hold on to the back of the group.

Wonder if Wiggins is being sarky here? :wink:

http://twitter.com/bradwiggins

If that's his actual excuse, then it's a poor one.

I thought Steegmans rode reasonably well.

seemed to be happy to ride for Boonen too....
  • any live feeds available - they start in an hour - thank goodness the wind has dropped.

Cav looks a mess this morning

http://sports-livez.com/channel/ch-2.php
    http://embed.zonein.tv/plkgftdhgfhydfyh ... =900&h=675
    http://sports-livez.com/channel/ch-5.php

They are not up at the moment but should have some coverage later.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    HH seems to be picking up what it means to be an Aussie very well. Whinging about Bennati now.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited February 2011
    Haussler takes stage 2, squeezing through a gap in the barriers and Bennati.

Getty
    cdd135484e39847e9143d6137451f8db-getty-cycling-qat-haussler.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Cancellara strung it out 2.5 - 1.5km. O'Grady next then Bennati got 2nd
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    Any last km links? (-:0
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Will Bennati ever win anything worthwhile again?

Strava is not Zen.
  • rick_chasey
    calvjones wrote:

A few Giro stages no doubt.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited February 2011
    Downing
    Getty
    7814865f494fb7b641dcbdc9a5799a31-getty-cycling-_qat-tour-gbr-downing-camel.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    calvjones wrote:

A few Giro stages no doubt.

Dunno really. Would like to agree but he looks pretty slow post-injuries.

Strava is not Zen.