our fellow cyclist, SO STUCK UP

Comments

• dilemna wrote:
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    This is why I'm reluctant to join a club.

I'm not being told what to wear when I'm out on my bike, I'll wear what I bloody well want. Hell, I'll go out in open crotch pants if the whim takes me.

If people don''t like what I wear on my bike it's their issue.

You strike me as being some one who is not a member of a cycling club. 'Am I right?

The issue is NOT about what cyclists wear when out generally bimbling on their bike. It is about suitable attire for the cycling club you want to join, are sampling or have just joined.

How did you work that one out Sherlok?

Oh hang on, perhaps it was my opening line of "This is why I'm reluctant to join a club" :wink:
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    By the sounds of things a polite word suggesting another jersey would be more appropriate for club runs and then explaining why would have gone down better.

By the sound of the original post what he got was a polite explaining, just that OP took exception to it.

If you don't know the rules and customs of any situation, you start off by keeping your head down and figuring them out. Not by ranting at them. It's clear to me that this club is not appropriate for the OP, he shouldn't go, nothing wrong with that lots of clubs aren't appropriate for people.

It's a club, they probably don't need more members, couldn't care less if he turns up, but giving polite advice saying that members don't appreciate national jerseys sounds to me like the right thing for the member to do. I've little sympathy for the OP's indignation.

Of course he can ride in whatever he likes, but that doesn't mean he can join any club and continue in that fashion.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    edited January 2011
    jibberjim wrote:
    wow I didn't release this topic would ruffle feathers. But to those of you who said I should follow the rules of the club.... but I did! there was nothing in the rule that mentioned anything regarding wearing Pro jersey, yellow jersey...etc.

People said you should follow the rule and customs of the club. Following just the rules that are written down really make you look a dysfunctional idiot who doesn't understand how amateur clubs of all sort actually work.

So how do you go about learning how 'amateur clubs of all sort actually work' without having to put up with being spoken down to like a naughty child or having these kind of things written down in the rules? Are we all supposed to be born knowing?

By the sounds of things a polite word suggesting another jersey would be more appropriate for club runs and then explaining why would have gone down better.

We only have one side of what occurred. Your last paragraph is probably what actually happened.

It's like a rooky Chelsea player turning up for a training session in a Manchester United shirt or a Manchester Utd player turning up for training in an Ing-ger-land shirt. It simply isn't cricket :wink: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • He did get a quiet word, but it could have been explained better than a simple 'You didn't earn it' which seems a little blunt to me and possibly came across as a little hostile... which would explain the OPs back being up.

I quite liked Pokerfaces version...
    There are just some people who think you shouldn't (not "can't") wear national team kit if you're not on the team as a sign of respect to those that have actually earned the privilege to legitimately wear it.

I didn't mean to intrude though, I'm from the other side where it all looks the same covered in mud anyway and only in here while waiting for the new bike to be delivered. :P
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    markos1963 wrote:
    If the OP was so upset about being told that his jersey might not be suitable for the club ride why didn't he discuss it with the person involved? Instead he comes on a forum giving just his side of the story, we don't know in what sense the club member was making his remark. Now to cap it all off he says he's going to turn up in another team jersey to wind him up. Perhaps joining a club isn't the best idea for the OP?

He's British. It's not cricket making a scene out of a small comment. That's left to the crazy continentals with their BO and olive oil.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    markos1963 wrote:
    If the OP was so upset about being told that his jersey might not be suitable for the club ride why didn't he discuss it with the person involved? Instead he comes on a forum giving just his side of the story, we don't know in what sense the club member was making his remark. Now to cap it all off he says he's going to turn up in another team jersey to wind him up. Perhaps joining a club isn't the best idea for the OP?

He's British. It's not cricket making a scene out of a small comment. That's left to the crazy continentals with their BO and olive oil.

:lol:
    HeHe I got the worst of both then, a British father and a Cypriot mother!!
    Does that mean I make a scene through my stiff upper lip? :lol:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My all time favourite cycling top was an Aston Villa away goalkeeper's shirt from the Mark Bosnich era.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,204
    I've never come across anyone in a club who gives a toss what kit you choose to wear. You might get some gentle ribbing if you wear a KoM jersey, especially if you climb like me! I used to have a GB top that I was given by a mate of was in the GB junior team and I wore it all the time. It wasn't to give a false impression it was because back then our club kit was terrible quality and the GB top was superb and just felt so much better to wear. If a club has a no trade team / national jersey / club kit only rule then fair enough although even then they should give newcomers a chance to try the club out before enforcing it. However, if people do come across the same attitude as the OP then either look for a different club or follow their rules, it's not rocket science! These days I tend to ride in club kit most of the time as it's great quality and good value for money whilst looking OK (as cycling kit goes!) so when I have a bit of spare cash I'll just get more of it. I am surprised that some clubs apparently take such an attitude with potential new members though, it doesn't seem a good way to encourage people.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    markos1963 wrote:

Sky Sports 'Vacancies' are on the phone for you, Teachest.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Aggieboy wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

You're my new secretary?

Shweet.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Aggieboy wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

You're my new secretary?

Shweet.

I could never betray my principles and work for someone who makes such comments. Sorry. (What's the going rate?)
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Wear what you want, but if you want to fit in and belong to a club then respect their rules. Personally I think you would look like a bit of a nimrod turning up in a Team GB outfit for a local club ride and I would take the mick, as would my mates. just reckon you need to MTFU and get some thick skin if you want to wear some jerseys. :wink::D
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    i could'nt give a monkey's what people wear,

However im more concerned about middle aged men who are far to obese to cram themselves into lycra......

Shocking to say the least and from where i ride there are no shortage of them..

Have some of you no shame ?

So what are we supposed to wear when we ride our bikes then? Should I wear my mountain bike baggies on the road bike until my BMI is at an acceptable level for you?

Or perhaps you'd rather we didn't ride bikes at all?
  • markos1963 wrote:

I asumed he had posted here to share his amusing experience of a pompous twit, a traditional target in British humour.
  • markos1963 wrote:

I asumed he had posted here to share his amusing experience of a pompous twit, a traditional target in British humour.

I kinda doubt the "Leader" from the club who mentioned this to the OP was acting entirely off his own back. More likely a few grumbles were heard and he/they decided a polite word would ensure that the OP could fit in better with the club ethos in the future.

Sounds to me like the OP had either been roasted on the ride and was a little bit wound up already, or just didnt take to the club and decided to have a rant about it on here. Its hardly a topic worth getting wound up about really is it?

My own opinion is inline with Pokerface and Nap D, but that doesnt mean anyone should listen to it.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    i could'nt give a monkey's what people wear,

However im more concerned about middle aged men who are far to obese to cram themselves into lycra......

Shocking to say the least and from where i ride there are no shortage of them..

Have some of you no shame ?

Why focus on the middle aged? They are generally less obese than the younger generation. The worst sight of all is looking at all the fat young kids waddling around cramming hamburgers into their puffy faces. I've just got back from a trip to Milan. Pretty much nobody fat there. Kids today should be ashamed of themselves (and there is a lot of them to be ashamed about :lol:)

Jerseys? How trivial !
    Faster than a tent.......
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    fwiw, my theory is the club leader is a big Mel and Kim fan and was singing

'we ain't never gonna be respectable'

but the op, being a bit self conscious about his kit, misheard and before you know it WW3 breaks out

sorted
  • cycling is an individual sport. cycling clubs are run by people who dislike individualism and like to make everyone in the club conform to what they think individualism should look like. joined a couple of clubs and found them all to be full of conceited twats. to be fair they were road clubs. mtb clubs tend to be a little bit more relaxed in my experience.
  • oh thank god i don't have the GB kit, i only have the Saxobank Swiss champs kit, the Team Sky kit, The Rabobank Cycling kit and the Official katusha Skinsuit for riding in this season... i guess im not going to get shouted at for not earning it :D

sod em all mate, i wear it cos it makes me look good and gives me a phycological boost! i know what the kit represents and i try my best to emulate that perfomance depending on which kit im wearing. so if im TTing this year i WILL be wearing the Saxobank kit Cancellara Swiss champs kit because it makes me try that tiny bit more.
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    oh thank god i don't have the GB kit, i only have the Saxobank Swiss champs kit, the Team Sky kit, The Rabobank Cycling kit and the Official katusha Skinsuit for riding in this season... i guess im not going to get shouted at for not earning it :D

sod em all mate, i wear it cos it makes me look good and gives me a phycological boost! i know what the kit represents and i try my best to emulate that perfomance depending on which kit im wearing. so if im TTing this year i WILL be wearing the Saxobank kit Cancellara Swiss champs kit because it makes me try that tiny bit more.

:lol:
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    so if im TTing this year i WILL be wearing the Saxobank kit

Where will you be TT'ing? It's against the rules of both CTT and British Cycling to compete in a trade team kit you don't belong to.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    jibberjim wrote:

Where will you be TT'ing? It's against the rules of both CTT and British Cycling to compete in a trade team kit you don't belong to.

Just to make it clearer to him ... here's the relevant bit from CTT

"If you do intend to race, please note that you must wear the club design in all events under BC jurisdiction. For open time trials, you can wear club clothing or any top that does not have advertising or company logos other than the registered sponsors of the club. "

Try racing in your club colours... that should actually make you work as hard as you can as well as Saxobank et al, if you have a bit of pride in wearing the club colours you represent that is.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I wear a London Pride jersey. I'm not sponsored by Fuller's Brewery but I certainly spend enough time 'endorsing' the product to have 'earned' the right to wear the kit :wink:
  • jgsi
    Nuggs wrote:
    I wear a London Pride jersey. I'm not sponsored by Fuller's Brewery but I certainly spend enough time 'endorsing' the product to have 'earned' the right to wear the kit :wink:

Again that is fair enough. But you couldnt wear it to do a '10'
    The debate on here is not about what jersey can be worn - no one should care except the wearer.... but the debate is about appropriate attire for specific occasions ? Is
    it not?- such as club runs where the club does stipulate a ruling.
    My club doesn't - we aint that bothered - but then again our club kit is of good quality/design and people like wearing it.

Surely the Op can find a more amenable club to join?
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    cycling is an individual sport. cycling clubs are run by people who dislike individualism and like to make everyone in the club conform to what they think individualism should look like. joined a couple of clubs and found them all to be full of conceited twats. to be fair they were road clubs. mtb clubs tend to be a little bit more relaxed in my experience.

Bit of a contradiction going on there. A true invididual wouldn't want to join a club anyway. Clubs exist for people who do want to be part of a group and to conform(whether that is right or wrong depends on your point of view)
    I don't have a problem with Lone Riders in the sport, it all adds to the richness of it and everyone is entitled to wear what they like. If you don't like the set up of traditional clubs why not set up your own with like minded invididuals(but again that's a sort of contradiction)
  • jibberjim wrote:

well im sure you don't need to know where im TTing but i have already asked the relevent people if it's ok to wear this kit and guess what? IT IS. doesnt matter what your wearing on a Club TT event but it's OPEN EVENTS which you MUST wear YOUR club kit.

oo can't wait ;)
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • It's all bollock to me, should be allowed to wear what you want, sounds like the CTT hacve their head up their arse.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • jgsi
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    It's all bollock to me, should be allowed to wear what you want, sounds like the CTT hacve their head up their ars*.
    Thats why there are plenty of UK sportives to cater for you. Straight forward solution.
    Time trials/ rr's etc are competitive..clubmembers invest a goodly amount of their time organising... back to football nalogy again.. root level Sunday league footie that gets it league table result/position reported in the local paper, you'd wear the proper shirt.
  • Rushie
    Rushie Posts: 115
    I'm with the OP on this one. If you're racing and there are rules regarding kit then you need to stick to them - fair enough. But on what sounds like a club run? You've got to be kidding me. Suggest you go and find a club that isn't so much up its own ar5e.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    JGSI wrote:
    Nuggs wrote:

Again that is fair enough. But you couldnt wear it to do a '10'
    The debate on here is not about what jersey can be worn - no one should care except the wearer.... but the debate is about appropriate attire for specific occasions ? Is
    it not?- such as club runs where the club does stipulate a ruling.
    My club doesn't - we aint that bothered - but then again our club kit is of good quality/design and people like wearing it.

Surely the Op can find a more amenable club to join?
    I think you treated my post with more respect than it deserved...