our fellow cyclist, SO STUCK UP

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Pokerface wrote:
    GB Cycling squad does NOT. That is why they don't sell it publicly.

Team Ireland kit is sold.

I presume it's endorsed and in some way the Irish cycling team must benefit.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C2426

Not sure what my point is, but to be fair it's late and I'm tired.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Mr Dog wrote:
    Would it not be easy to spot the real deal? Lighten up.

The real kit or a real team cyclist?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Mr Dog wrote:
    Would it not be easy to spot the real deal? Lighten up.

Lighten Up?!? This is important sh1t!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface wrote:

No - I never said Ireland kit isn't sold publicly. I said it was hard to find. I also said it's ugly and not many people would want to wear it anyway. :oops:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Pokerface wrote:
    . At least the guy on the club run was told quietly and discretely that the jersey 'wasn't earned'. There are many instances where he would have been sent home to change!

I'm sorry but I think that's totally pathetic - we're adults not school kids

Friends who have ridden with clubs tell me that they are cliques full of twats and prima donnas. The more I hear on here, the more I think that they must be right. I don't know what it is about cycling that attracts this thinking but the shirt thing just reinforces this view. The sport would be a lot more popular if it was more inclusive.

Makes me want to find a yellow jersey, some world champ coloured shorts and team GB socks.....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Talent trumps lycra.. every time. I feel myself getting cross.
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • tailwindhome
    Makes me want to find a yellow jersey, some world champ coloured shorts and team GB socks.....

Wear black socks

That'll freak them out
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pokerface
    edited January 2011
    These guys didn't earn their jerseys either:

GYI0061089795_xxlarge.jpg
    Fat%20Guy%20In%20Spandex.jpg

Ironically, I bet most people that actually DO ride for GB don't give a monkey's who wears the kit or not.
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Sometimes it must be hard to bear an ego.
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • meanredspider

Wear black socks

That'll freak them out

Cool - I've got some of those.

Life's too short for silly rules.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • tailwindhome
    Pokerface wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

No - I never said Ireland kit isn't sold publicly. I said it was hard to find. I also said it's ugly and not many people would want to wear it anyway. :oops:

As an Irishman I'd like to say different, but that is one fugly jersey.
  • meanredspider
    Pokerface wrote:
    These guys didn't earn their jerseys either:

Let's face it - it seems as though there's a big question mark over half the people who have worn the yellow jersey about whether they earned it or not. And those people actually competed in the TdF. Even Lance isn't immune.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    I'll bet actual riders for real national teams couldn't give a f*** if joe public was wearing the jerseys.

It's worth sourcing and buying them just to pi## the morons off.
  • Anonymous
    Personally I don't give a toss what people wear but find it amusing that people get so het up about their right to do it :)

However, if it's club rules then fair dos. Join another club or comply...
  • Jesus i don't know why some people in clubs just don't get their heads out their ass!

The comment cyclist hating cyclist maybe true to an extent, i love cycling and i'm quite happy to do it but i've come across some right to55ers in cycling.

You want to wear your GB top wear it, who cares, who cares if passers by look and think he/she won't or will be a GB rider, surely it only matters at races where GB team riders are competing, and thats where real GB riders will be going fast to prove themselves against the competition, not just to bloat ego's to passers by.

I've met some odd people in cycling, some guy at the end of a event come to talk to saying you can't sustain those heart rates when you passed us! Eh? how did he know?

I said i wasn't pushing to hard when i passed you guys, anyway he ended up saying i was fat....ha ha another bloke telling me i'm fat, what a bitch, im 5ft 8 and sit around 72 to 73kg, mega fat, anyway i asked him what his time was and informed him i beat him by 24 mins, not bad for a fat lad!

Went to a TT, supposed to be friendly lot, had comments about my bike, my position and my white shoes, you have to be fast to wear white shoes....WTF i wear em coz they match my kit and bike, but they get dirty and look crap, over shoes anyone?

Last one some muppet rode up by my side, a stranger and asked why i had hairy legs on a road bike? I thought what its to you gaylord? i thought i'd play the game, said i race mtb so im not bothered about shaving my legs, he said road bikes are for racing on and pointed down at the team logo on the bike, i said road bikes are for riding around on to get fit for a mans sport of endurance mtb racing, so i asked if he raced for the said team? As with this cycle ego stuff he said he was a manager, i mentioned i knew the team captain and his face dropped, turns out racing boy is nothing more than a helper/goafer, but after that ride i did wonder why i kept meeting such muppets in cycling!

Sorry for the rant OP but i know how you feel.
  • Anonymous
    ^^^ a lot of anger there. Sounds like you drive a BMW or something.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    NapoleonD wrote:
    ^^^ a lot of anger there. Sounds like you drive a BMW or something.

:lol:

(No an Audi)
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Ha Ha anger no....if i was angry i would of pushed the skinny tw4t off surprised yes, bit un easy with other men commenting on the hairyness of my legs!!

Audi no....never :lol:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Geoffrey butler have sold GB kit in the past.
    I've never heard of a club that has a specific "no gb kit allowed" rule either.
    Wear whatever you like - if it's a KoM top and the club have to wait for you on the hills - then you will get the piss taken out of you - but that's fair enough - I think clubs exist to do that.
    When I was a schoolboy I had a second hand world champs jersey and nobody batted an eye, and nobody mistook me for Greg LeMond either.
    My only advice is don't dress like a ninja cos getting run down by a dozy motorist is worse than having your dress sense critiqued by a twatty cyclist.
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    GB Cycles used to sell Italian training kit, now that looked good :D
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    If I see anyone wearing team kit I sit behind them until I find a ditch then push them in it and take their kit.
  • freehub wrote:
    If I see anyone wearing team kit I sit behind them until I find a ditch then push them in it and take their kit.

That`s assuming you can keep up with `em :wink:
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • JLM74
    JLM74 Posts: 108
    There's never a 'huge round of applause' emoticon when you need one.

clapping.gif
  • tailwindhome
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Personally I don't give a toss what people wear but find it amusing that people get so het up about their right to do it :)

Funny thing about men in clubs - sometimes it's more about the club, club rules, structures & officer titles, constitutions and procedures than it is about activity for which the club was started.

It can be a bit sad really.

I kinda agree with the views of Pokerface and Nap D regarding national kit but it takes a prick of the very highest order to tell a new guy who turns up for a club run that they are inappropriately dressed.

Maybe that's the truth. Too many 'new guys' coming into the sport. The pricks don't like it.
  • tailwindhome
    JLM74 wrote:
    There's never a 'huge round of applause' emoticon when you need one.

clapping.gif

I'm having that
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    NapoleonD wrote:

Funny thing about men in clubs - sometimes it's more about the club, club rules, structures & officer titles, constitutions and procedures than it is about activity for which the club was started.

It can be a bit sad really.

I kinda agree with the views of Pokerface and Nap D regarding national kit but it takes a prick of the very highest order to tell a new guy who turns up for a club run that they are inappropriately dressed.

Maybe that's the truth. Too many 'new guys' coming into the sport. The pricks don't like it.

its things like this that put me off joining a club in the first place
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I've been riding about 30 years (not including the years when my bikes where bought for me by Mum and Dad :lol: ) give or take, and I've never joined a club. I don't have an opinion either way on the GB National kit and credentials required to wear them (do Team GB publish an official policy on this?), but I do have an opinion on the kind of arseholes that many clubs seem to attract going from this thread!

I think my local clubs are much more laid back.
  • meanredspider
    A very keen and very capable friend joined our local club. Absolutely nobody introduced themselves and, apart from being put into a group for a training ride, nobody actually even spoke to him. He said the ride, rather than being teamwork, was some sort of competition to see who would break first. After the ride, no-one spoke to him. He's never been back. Bizarrrely either after races or when he's out riding, people ask him to join their club. He's heartily sick of the idea and is back to training on his own or rides with people like me.

I think there's something about individual sports like cycling that attracts prima donnas and individuals who, whilst athletic, have never got on with or got the idea of teams and team sports (despite the need for team cycle racing to need teamwork).
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,632
    Any cyclist competing at a high level with serious ambitions in the sport should only wear what they've earned. Anyone below this level should be allowed to wear what they like without causing any offence imho.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    it might be worth your while bringing up the subject again a bit louder with more people there, you never know he might be the only tosser there(im an optimist ok) if it turns out theyre all twats then bye bye.
    ive got a rainbow jerseythat i earned, 2 hrs in a broom cupboard with bungle and zippy damn. chamois cream anyone. :shock:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story