our fellow cyclist, SO STUCK UP

Comments

• holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Don't feel I've earned a polka dot jersey (to heavy to climb fast) but I'm going to buy one. Shall be wearing it on my first Audax of the year. Protesters please no violence, non violent only. If you wait for me finishing will be willing to chat about it.
    Personally my pet hate is wind up merchants!
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Just so that you all know, I'm the only person on BR entitled to wear this jersey:TdCjersey.jpg ... and this ...Prov.jpg... and drink from this bidon ...CCBottleL.jpg

Any violations and I'll come round and make your legs hairy (copydex and fluff from behind the sofa).

You have been warned!
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Unless I've missed something, which is entirely plausible, the op makes no mention of rules or regs for the particular club in question.

@ off.

I can't see any difference between this and wearing an England football shirt.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    jim453 wrote:
    Unless I've missed something, which is entirely plausible, the op makes no mention of rules or regs for the particular club in question.

@ off.

What ........... on a club ride :shock: ?

Chav on a BSO :wink::lol: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    dilemna wrote:
    jim453 wrote:

@ off.

I was thinking more down the park playing headers and volleys. But if anyone wants to wear one on their bike they'll get no arguments from me.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    OP - did you explain to him that the cash used to purchase the jersey was indeed 'earned' by you?
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    OP - did you explain to him that the cash used to purchase the jersey was indeed 'earned' by you?
    :D
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    I once wore a TDF yellow jersey commuting around on my MTB, with baggy shorts and everything :shock: :)

I'm presuming I was lucky not to have been hounded down & killed to death by the nearest cycling club?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    dilemna wrote:
    jim453 wrote:

Er, what would be wrong with that?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    i could'nt give a monkey's what people wear,

However im more concerned about middle aged men who are far to obese to cram themselves into lycra......

Shocking to say the least and from where i ride there are no shortage of them..

Have some of you no shame ?
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    i could'nt give a monkey's what people wear,

However im more concerned about middle aged men who are far to obese to cram themselves into lycra......

Shocking to say the least and from where i ride there are no shortage of them..

Have some of you no shame ?
    "No" is the short answer. I am well aware that I don't look that good in lycra, but I don't see what obligation I have to look good on the bike just to tickle your senses.
  • wow I didn't release this topic would ruffle feathers. But to those of you who said I should follow the rules of the club.... but I did! there was nothing in the rule that mentioned anything regarding wearing Pro jersey, yellow jersey...etc.

I planning to go next week with my mate's HTC TDF Green jersey :wink:
    ITS BY DOING WHAT EVER, THAT YOU BECOME WHOEVER!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    wow I didn't release this topic would ruffle feathers. But to those of you who said I should follow the rules of the club.... but I did! there was nothing in the rule that mentioned anything regarding wearing Pro jersey, yellow jersey...etc.

If you can get hold of some world champion, rainbow stickers for your bike, all the better :D
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • rick_chasey
    MattC59 wrote:
    wow I didn't release this topic would ruffle feathers. But to those of you who said I should follow the rules of the club.... but I did! there was nothing in the rule that mentioned anything regarding wearing Pro jersey, yellow jersey...etc.

If you can get hold of some world champion, rainbow stickers for your bike, all the better :D

Make sure you write "Cavendish" in permanent ink on the side of the helmet.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

That's a fake
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    I find this whole thing so confusing/amusing. Team jerseys are great, yellow, red dots and world championship jerseys are also great. I have a few of these and I will continue to buy and wear them. The teams sell them to make money therefore I'm supporting the team.

The ONLY TIME they have any use is when you're watching a race, then you can tell the teams apart (oh look there's Thor in his world champions jersey).

I don't think that if I saw someone riding down my street in a Sky strip I'd rush outside and try and get Bradley's autograph, likewise I don't go round asking all the David Beckams for their autographs on a sunday afternoon in the local park.

If I've bought something legitimately NO ONE can tell me I've not earnt it.

If you belong to a club and they'd like you to wear a club jersey, brilliant, I wear mine with pride. But if someone has only just started riding with the club I wouldn't expect them to rush out and buy a jersey straight away. You need to ride with a club a few times to see if they're right for you, if the club is full of stuck up a***hats then I wouldn't join.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810

People said you should follow the rule and customs of the club. Following just the rules that are written down really make you look a dysfunctional idiot who doesn't understand how amateur clubs of all sort actually work.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    jibberjim wrote:

People said you should follow the rule and customs of the club. Following just the rules that are written down really make you look a dysfunctional idiot who doesn't understand how amateur clubs of all sort actually work.

Or it makes the club guy look like a tw*t.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    bompington wrote:
    "No" is the short answer. I am well aware that I don't look that good in lycra, but I don't see what obligation I have to look good on the bike just to tickle your senses.[/quote]

You have no obligation to me at all,your get no reaction from me as i will quietly snigger to myself along with most of the general public....

Kind of reminds me of when i was young watching Big Daddy wrestling.....
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • This is why I'm reluctant to join a club.

I'm not being told what to wear when I'm out on my bike, I'll wear what I bloody well want. Hell, I'll go out in open crotch pants if the whim takes me.

If people don''t like what I wear on my bike it's their issue.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    You are of course entitled to wear what you like when cycling.
    Like most activities there are a number of conventions which in some way help to bind the community together. I'm sure that the remarks about the GB strip were made in good faith. If someone thought that I was wearing something that would make me look foolish in the eyes of my peers, I would appreciate someone having a quiet word.
    The wearing of team jerseys is rather different, as they are produced in large quantities to sell to fans of a particular team. I rather agree with the poster who suggested that GB jerseys were analagous to international caps in football.
  • rick_chasey
    Is the OP's ability/form sufficient to take said attire enforcer metaphorically to the cleaners?

It would certainly help your mental wellbeing.
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    I can't believe how much discussion this subject engenders - I can see something in the don't wear TeamGB arguement, but don't wear Maillot Jaune/Maglia Rosa/WC Stripes is an absolute crock of shite, IMO anyway
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    I'll wear what I bloody well want. Hell, I'll go out in open crotch pants if the whim takes me.

Fair enough chap, just do us a favour and post a warning and planned route on here if the whim does take you - so that others may alter their course? :wink:
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • should have simply said to the club guy,
    Do you even know who I am? who the hell are you to judge me?
    You should consider yourself privileged I decided to try out your club but no way am I going to be spoken too like that from a jobsworth pr*%k like you!
    getting faster, fitter, and skinnier by the day!
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    I think the thing with clubs is as most people in them race, or have raced, they tend to subconsciously apply the BC/UCI rules informally on club runs.

Also clubs by their nature tend to have a lot of p*ss taking and banter, so if you are a thin skinned person you may want to stay at home and watch 'Last of the Summer Wine' instead.

Much as you may not be a big fan of clubs you'll be thankfull they exist next time you want to enter an event.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    This is why I'm reluctant to join a club.

I'm not being told what to wear when I'm out on my bike, I'll wear what I bloody well want. Hell, I'll go out in open crotch pants if the whim takes me.

If people don''t like what I wear on my bike it's their issue.

You strike me as being some one who is not a member of a cycling club. 'Am I right?

The issue is NOT about what cyclists wear when out generally bimbling on their bike. It is about suitable attire for the cycling club you want to join, are sampling or have just joined.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    awjeeznotthisshitagain.jpg
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Maybe it wasn't so much the British Cycling kit as the OP's mangled vocabulary that upset his clubmate.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • jibberjim wrote:

So how do you go about learning how 'amateur clubs of all sort actually work' without having to put up with being spoken down to like a naughty child or having these kind of things written down in the rules? Are we all supposed to be born knowing?

By the sounds of things a polite word suggesting another jersey would be more appropriate for club runs and then explaining why would have gone down better.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    If the OP was so upset about being told that his jersey might not be suitable for the club ride why didn't he discuss it with the person involved? Instead he comes on a forum giving just his side of the story, we don't know in what sense the club member was making his remark. Now to cap it all off he says he's going to turn up in another team jersey to wind him up. Perhaps joining a club isn't the best idea for the OP?