edited February 2011 in Pro race
Here it is...

Have a nice morning.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm

Comments

• Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    tl;dr is the current understatement of the year. :lol:
  • Is Popo being sanctioned for the juice SI say they found in his house?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It's quite comprehensive, it's not just one story but several. Dodgy dealings with Catlin, high testosterone levels, Ferrari panicking about causing cancer, working with Ferrari in 2009, cupboards with dodgy things inside, and plenty more.

It'll be interesting to see how Armstrong replies. He's trying the "no comment" bit right now but got shirty when a journalist pushed him to reply.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    It's funny that was appears to have been editted out (from what I gather, I'm not saying it's true) is allegations of a personal nature (sex and drugs) as well as stuff about the charity.

"Dude, are you stupid?"
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Catlin will have been a huge surprise for most, including the "experts".
    Maybe it explain's LA's reaction to Iain's grilling? :P

On Catlin and the testosterone levels. It certainly could be a reason why Landis imploded.
    Also a suggestion from NYVelocity:
    '93 and '94 testosterone ratios seem to vindicate the Andreus, don't they? Testosterone was one of the drugs they said LA listed.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    So Lance's people are using the "old tired allegations from liars" line, but from what I can remember there is new stuff here, certainly in terms of detail, dates, specific substances, the Caitlin allegations, the continuation of the Ferrari link...

Now that legit journalists are really turning the knife (as opposed to just us "internet forum people") surely he has to sue *if* he's as innocent as he protests?

The other Velonation article about his lawyers turning to Balco's legal team to dredge dirt of Novitsky isn't very edifying either...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    That article makes it sound quite sinister!

I have to say, I'm not the biggest fan of doping issues - it only midly holds my interest - stories of Heamocratics and epistestosterone stuff gets quite dull - but that SI article was pretty exciting to read.

This might be a doping case that finally holds my interest, properly.
  • Good article

It seems to neatly summarise the case against him, it's nice to have it all in one place and not have to wade through the pages of arguments between those in the pro and anti Lance camps that litter the interweb.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Remember, folks. There's no "i" in "team".

But there is one in "Catlin". And only one.

Actually some of the media running with this might want to be careful what they say about Catlin. Unlike Armstrong, who only says he has credibility, Catlin actually does - and a huge reputation too.

It is not clear from the story, where "athlete codes" are mentioned, whether Catlin (or whoever was involved in the analysis) would have known who the athlete was. Oddly enough, protection of a specific athlete might be more worrying than a general apathy towards following up positives. And we need to remember we are viewing events of the early 90s through our 2011 attittudes to doping.

On the positive T/E ratios which could not be verified - it's surely difficult to judge this unless we have a feel for how many positive A samples don't come back positive on the B test - by definition, you don't normally hear about these. That would tell us how unusual this is.

Regarding all this stuff in general, it's quite odd that some people, like NY Velocity for example, seem to think they are in the middle of a PR war. Well, they probably are, and they think they are somehow part of some sort of crowdsourced prosecution team. The really bemusing thing is that they think the PR war counts. How did Floyd's PR war work out?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    To me the most interesting part relates to the US False Claims Act. I hadn’t heard of that before. Are they implying the Landis could be in line for up to 12 million if the US gov feels it necessary, and is able, to recover the $40 million USPS sponsorship? I don’t recall the chronology of events, did Landis go public before he filled the whistle blowing lawsuit? Not that I’m suggesting anything but the desire for a clear conscience is behind all this.
  • iainf72
    He filed the whistle blowing suit later, possibly at the request of the feds.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Obviously Landis' intention is to use the 'whistleblower' suit as a means of paying back his Floyd Fund donations.
    Wonders if there's a proven link between Weisel, USOC and UCI in terms of complicity? I suspect that a proportion of the Fed's case will focus on the funding of Tailwind and whether the executives were complicit in fraud too? The fact that many of them donated to Floyd kinda provides a circular irony.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • DaveyL
    I doubt there is a specific case of USOC and UCi being linked. Well, there may be, but the malaise was much more general than cycling back then, and even in recent history. We all know stories of US track and field athletes having positives overlooked.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • rick_chasey
    Is Landis exposed to FBI prosecution because of his lying about the doping?

If so, maybe he got snared by the feds and he struck a deal.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Wiggins can always be called on to support his friend Lance.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins ... ade-public
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    When Landis came out, did the UCI ask the national federations to look into his allegations?

I remember that was true re: the Hog, but was it for Lance as well?. Will they ever enter the fray or does the fed investigation trump all.

I'm interested to see what the fall out will be for the UCI, if anything.

It is one thing to end the Lance myth, but it also says a great deal about the administration of the sport. Can anything positive happen there?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    We can speculate on conspiracy theories, but I expect the reality was that everyone knew that the various administration bodies were complicit in 'covering up' positive tests and some were better organised at managing it than others - a Sysmex machine here, or some girls'n'blow there - funded by prize money and bike auctions no doubt. It's unlikely that USOC were not aware of what Tyler was up to, but the gold medal was the priority.
    Positives were more likely the consequence of lack of intelligence/notification, or the 'wrong guy' turning up to run the test?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Wiggins can always be called on to support his friend Lance.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins ... ade-public
    Ha! Frenchie's horrified that someone could be even vaguely supportive (letting the courts do their job and even saying "innocent until proven guilty" - the horror) of a rider suspected of doping. :lol: Mr Kettle, there's a pot on line 2, something to do with you being black.
    N00b commuter with delusions of competence

FCN 11 - If you scalp me, do I not bleed?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    I was just thinking that! :lol:

For every Wiggins supporting Armstrong, there is a Frenchfighter supporting Contador!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Only someone with ulterior motives supports the most blatant fraud in the World of sport.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DaveyL
    Only someone with ulterior motives supports the most blatant fraud in the World of sport.

Are we still talking about Bert?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Is Popo being sanctioned for the juice SI say they found in his house?

That's the only thing that piqued my interest in the whole article tbh.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    DaveyL wrote:

Are we still talking about Bert?

:lol:
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    I opened this thread thinking it would be about Lance finally snapping and whacking a fan ie supporter which would be weird. Instead it's nothing of the sort just more circumstantial and unsubstantiated allegations and accusations that he doped. Boring. :roll:
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • afx237vi wrote:

+1
    That's because it's the only thing that appears to be backed up by evidence of some form.
    Popo may be required to fall on his sword.............or get pushed.

The rest is another "LA Confidential" type smear.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    afx237vi wrote:

+1
    That's because it's the only thing that appears to be backed up by evidence of some form.

The difference is is that it's in Sports Illustrated.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    afx237vi wrote:

+1

The difference is is that it's in Sports Illustrated.

I guess. I was looking at the trending topics on Twitter last night and a lot of the tweets were along the lines of "I can't believe this stuff about Lance" or "I'd be so disappointed if this is true" etc etc.

So it's still surprising to some people, and that it shows that a big article in SI is more damaging because it reaches a much wider audience than anything that's ever written in the cycling press.
  • iainf72
    afx237vi wrote:
    So it's still surprising to some people, and that it shows that a big article in SI is more damaging because it reaches a much wider audience than anything that's ever written in the cycling press.

That's why people make a big deal about it being in WSJ or SI, because it's hitting "main street" rather than place Internet crazies hang out.

I see the authors have been on CNN today as well.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    iainf72 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

That's why people make a big deal about it being in WSJ or SI, because it's hitting "main street" rather than place Internet crazies hang out.

am surprised D Walsh doesn't sue for plagiarism..90% of the SI article gives a sense of deja vu..old news..I spent more time trying to find something I didn't already know. Still...it is interesting in places and maybe true. The Stephen Swart stuff..the testo results...anyone can say stuff, like you chumps do on here all the time, fill in the gaps...but try to PROVE IT!
  • rick_chasey
    Dave_1 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

am surprised D Walsh doesn't sue for plagiarism..90% of the SI article gives a sense of deja vu..old news..I spent more time trying to find something I didn't already know. Still...it is interesting in places and maybe true. The Stephen Swart stuff..the testo results...anyone can say stuff, like you chumps do on here all the time, fill in the gaps...but try to PROVE IT!

Usually journalists are a little more discerning with what they write than internet folk.