Who on BR has bought a 'cheap' Chinese carbon frame?

Comments

• Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Import Duty, VAT and handling charges apply. :cry:
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    kfinlay wrote:
    I've been really interested in this thread as the thought of building a bike to my own spec really appealed - maybe making it look a bit different - getting inspriation from the likes of Baum, Parlee, Perigotti etc for the look of the bike and trying to find some components that are a bit different but still good quality.
    A couple of ideas for the frame were (Cordis loosely translates to self, mine but hadn't finalised the name, also put Cordus instead of Cordis :oops: )

cordus_2.jpg

Thats the good bit but having looked at this in a bit more detail, even though you can get the frame at a good price as you have to pay more for the rest of the components so you never really save money overall. Not a problem for those with plenty cash but thats not me. Even speccing with mid range stuff such as Athena, Ksyrium and mid range finishing kit you are still looking at around £1600. For similar money I can get a Canyon or Cube with arguably better frames, not quite so good wheels but the back up of a full warranty.

So while it would be nice to build a one-off like that above, for me the frame would still be a budget frame with decent components and I would rather have a better frame with lower spec components. Not taking away anything from the guys who have built some lovely looking bikes as shown on this thread but I have swung back to a Canyon Ultimate CF 9.0 with Chorus, Ksyrium Elites and quality finishing kit for around £2100 (Chinese frame with same spec would be around £2000).
    Thought I'd add this in as initially I was getting carried away with what I could get but then sensible head kicked in :?
    Good luck to those that do go down this route, hope you are delighted with what you build. I still want to build a bike like I did when I was in my teens but maybe when I have a bigger budget and can buy something like a Colnago, Parlee or similar.

I've been watching this thread with interest too as I plan to build my own bike over the coming months for the same reasons as mentioned by Kfinlay above. But as already pointed out buying a complete bike from a UK retailer works out about the same price or possibly cheaper if you get a god deal.

So it looks like the best way to build yourself a custom bike is to buy a complete bike in the UK, strip the parts, sell on ebay and buy the bits you really want.
  • no issue with front mech at all. went straight on with no issues, i beleive you can use a tekro brake that channels the cable around the side of the bike via the bb side of chainset, i was advised not to use one as clearence is very tight, and a special aluninium noodle is reqiured,the front brake is normal , but you will need an extra spacer , if you dont when turning the bars the brake will clip frame
  • Surfr
    Surfr Posts: 243
    There is no way I'd be able to buy the bike I'm building cheaper in the UK.

FM015 Frame and Fork £290
    Ultegra 6600 Group 2nd hand from forum £185
    FSA carbon seatpost 2nd hand from forum £37
    FSA carbon wrap stem from JE James shop soiled £20
    Fizik 2009 model Arione from Merlin £47

just shopping for bars now. Looking for alloy shalow drop, single cable groove and ergo position preferably with aero top but able to take clip-on tri bars. These may do the trick
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/HBR ... -handlebar

I'll be using my Aksiums with GP4000s until I can afford a set of 50mm carbon tubs from China at £300 from Yishun with Conti Sprinter tubs (cost price)
  • Kfinlay

If it has to campag chorus you may have to spend more but if your willing to be flexible and search the internet i bet you could build up a fantastic bike at a great price.

Planet x have chorus at £765
    Athena at £499
    record at £999

I bet if you really search you could build something special
  • Crimmey
    Crimmey Posts: 207
    P1030712.jpg

white or red pedals? Not sure bout deda stickers too.
  • That looks very cool!
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    Some good deals for kit at Merlin to go with these frames, especially with the extra 10% off!
    All this for £1150 8) Just need frame, pedals, headset, tyres/tubes and maybe a couple of other small bit's and bobs like tape and spacers and your all set

merlin_basket.jpg
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    think these a bloke in taiwan who sells rename dogma's and paris's he was on a simlar thead on weight weenies. he was claiming that they are the same frames
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    Crimmey wrote:
    P1030712.jpg

rear wheel needs to go forward in the track ends - way too big a gap between down tube and tyre...
  • think these a bloke in taiwan who sells rename dogma's and paris's he was on a simlar thead on weight weenies. he was claiming that they are the same frames

They make Cervelo's in Taiwan, can he get me one? :D
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    moonshine wrote:
    Crimmey wrote:
    P1030712.jpg

rear wheel needs to go forward in the track ends - way too big a gap between down tube and tyre...

Well, that depends whether you believe Look or not doesn't it...
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • Are there any other reputable ebay sellers other than carbonzone?? really interested in getting one of the R838 frames but carbonzone are out of stock. I'm sure i've seen them at another chinese company on ebay but can't find it now!
  • Yeah I've emailed these guys about prices last week and they haven't got back to me
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,921
    Has anyone got any feedback about the carbon wheels carbonzone is selling?

50mm carbon tubs for under £300 seem great value. Ok so they are a bit heavy at 1500 but for the price I think that is good. And seeing as I would only use them for racing Crits then if I crash it isn't going to cost the world to buy a new set.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Surfr
    There's a huge thread on the Yishun wheels on roadbikereview forums and the general consensus is that they are very good. I'm saving for a pair of 50mm tubs right now :)
  • benjboy
    benjboy Posts: 258
    I bought a set of 58mm tubs last year and they are great.Very stiff and once you get them up to speed the role along nicely.I also bought a carbon tt frame as well and it is spot on.Today just ordered FM0015 frame and seatpost in matt black of carbonzone all of this from carbonzone a good ebayer. :D
    Keep the chain tight all the way.
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    from another thread, carbon wheels here - tubs and clinchers with reasonable weights for the money
    http://fuertebici.com/site/?page_id=70/#CarbonWheels
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    graememacd wrote:
    Yeah I've emailed these guys about prices last week and they haven't got back to me

Xpace finally got back to me about a TT frame enquiry, and they told me to contact Ribble for their products. Oh well, back to Tony at Dengfu.
  • benjboy
    benjboy Posts: 258
    I think Tony at Denfu is the same person as Echo at carbon zone.I think i read somewhere that there is a bit of a price difference about 10%.Not sure if this helps but hayho. :roll:
    Keep the chain tight all the way.
  • Just ordered the R838/Stealth from carbonzone, just hope its as good as everyones saying it is!
  • graememacd wrote:
    Just ordered the R838/Stealth from carbonzone, just hope its as good as everyones saying it is!

Any chance of a lik to the frame please?
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • graememacd wrote:

Thanks, what size are you (height, inseam) as I was wondering about sizing of the frame.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • I'm 5'10" and my inseam measures to about 84cm, i have based the frame size on my current trek which seems to match apart from the new one having about 10mm longer wheel base
  • Surfr
    It's arrived! my FM015 has safely landed in the UK and appears not to have collected any duty charges along the way. I'm going to take it home at lunchtime to unpack and inspect. Total time from payment to arrival was 8 days, however I know it wasn't sent for at least 3 days due to a stock issue where I changed from 3K weave to 12k weave as 3k was out of stock.
  • Surfr wrote:
    It's arrived! my FM015 has safely landed in the UK and appears not to have collected any duty charges along the way. I'm going to take it home at lunchtime to unpack and inspect. Total time from payment to arrival was 8 days, however I know it wasn't sent for at least 3 days due to a stock issue where I changed from 3K weave to 12k weave as 3k was out of stock.

Do you have a link please?
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • Surfr
    http://dengfubikes.com/product.asp?id=7&classid=21

email address on their contacts page. All emails answered within 24 hours usually.
  • Took delivery of my stealth/R838 style frame from carbonzone yesterday, the postage from China only took 5 days including the weekend! The frame looks good in matt black and its in good condition with no marks or scratches. I'm taking it into my LBS later to get the hard bits done (headset fitting/steerer cutting and BB30 adaptor fitting) then hopefully i'll get it built up in the next few days and post some pics up.