Who on BR has bought a 'cheap' Chinese carbon frame?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Heh heh.

Bearing in mind there are carbon wheels 10 years old and still going strong I think they'll be fine.

I only brake once on a TT anyway ;)
  • mcrdave
    mcrdave Posts: 501
    Term1te wrote:
    mcrdave wrote:
    Term1te wrote:
    ga02clr wrote:
    I emailed www.farsports.cn last Saturday and yet to hear anything back. Not promising.

I got a very quick and polite reply from them. Although I'm struggling to find a way to justify a set of 1200g 50mm carbon wheels, even at their price.

The farsport site isn't the best is it? All the code names for the wheels are there but no pics or descriptions or prices, any ideas how to navigate this!? Or has anyone got a pricelist. I'm looking for 50mm clinchers ideally under 1500gms.

ta
    Dave

I was quoted 630USD for their FSC50-TP wheel set, 50mm rims ca. 1200g or 158.40USD each for the FSP50-T rims. Plus 75USD shipping.

Cheers. Not the cheapest then, although that's very light for clinchers, if they are?
  • ga02clr
    ga02clr Posts: 97
    Nope they are tubs ....
  • appletrees
    appletrees Posts: 327
    20mm carbon tubular wheels have arrived. But I'm at work. No customs charge. Hope they're not broken, as my builder signed for them and didn't realise they needed checking.

9 working days from order to receipt is better than some stuff ordered in the UK!
  • karnali
    karnali Posts: 703
    anyone come accross http://www.who-cycles.com/ seems to be the same as one of the ebay sellers frames but the warranty and uk company for around £90 seems reasonable to me, esp if u get stung for import duty etc
  • Anonymous
    The frame looks like a cow.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    NapoleonD wrote:
    The frame looks like a cow.

That'll be the Friesian model!
  • karnali wrote:
    anyone come accross http://www.who-cycles.com/ seems to be the same as one of the ebay sellers frames but the warranty and uk company for around £90 seems reasonable to me, esp if u get stung for import duty etc

From the Skype ID his name is Rob Scaife from rotherham. A google search suggests throws up this guy...http://www.shu.ac.uk/research/cses/sp_rob_scaife.html
  • benjboy
    benjboy Posts: 258
    Hi All, I have bought a fm015 frame from carbonzone left it in my LBS to get bottom bracket and headset fitted.Lbs now tells me they cannot get a headset to fit the frame and have asked me can i get one ,but i do not much about headsets :oops: .They say it is 1. 18 top and 1.25 push on at the bottom.Does anyone know where I could get Cheers
    Keep the chain tight all the way.
  • benjboy
    Cheers Nap your an angel with out wings. :D ..
  • Anonymous
    Whoah!! I might BR very wrong!
  • campagone
    campagone Posts: 270
    benjboy wrote:
    Hi All, I have bought a fm015 frame from carbonzone left it in my LBS to get bottom bracket and headset fitted.Lbs now tells me they cannot get a headset to fit the frame and have asked me can i get one ,but i do not much about headsets :oops: .They say it is 1. 18 top and 1.25 push on at the bottom.Does anyone know where I could get Cheers

How long are you willing to wait for it? I think youre better off going back to Carbonzone.
    I bought a FM028 frame from them and for the headset with it which they did supply and it only cost $15. Its not a top of the range headset but it will do the job ok I think. Give them an email and I'm sure they can supply you one. By the way I don't think the Lesiure Lakes one will do, it has top and bottom cups but the frame has these built in, at least the fm028 has, I'm sure the fm015 is the same.
    This is a link to the one they supplied me
    http://www.necoparts.com/Products.aspx? ... te=8&pid=6
    Note the bevel on the bottom bearing, you have to have this to fit the cups
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Reference the roadbikereview threads (massive) - info on headsets will be in there.
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showth ... p?t=241785
  • benjboy
    Cheers guys i have ordered one from Ribble they say on the website it will fit the ribble stealth.So i am hoping it will will fit My Fm015 will give it a go and see if not then carbonzone it will be.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Been following this thread with much interest as I'm looking to buy a frame and fork to build a new comuter bike. The FM015 looks very interesting but I've noticed that Planet X are doing their Planet X Pro frame with a free fork for £399.

So for the extra £100 you get a frame + fork from a UK supplier (not manufacturer I'm sure) and a 2 year waranty. No import duty risk either.

Now I'm not sure which way to go! :?
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Wrath Rob wrote:
    So for the extra £100 you get a frame + fork from a UK supplier (not manufacturer I'm sure) and a 2 year waranty. No import duty risk either.

Now I'm not sure which way to go! :?

If the price is the most important factor I reckon PlanetX is the way to go but I ordered mine from China (Dengfu) because I wanted the paint/decals to my specific requirement. Nothing fancy, it's all white with black decals but they are my words and font :)
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Interesting thread this. Been trying to find info on the carbon wheels from Ebay. They just seem so cheap for what you are getting!

Read a fair bit of this thread and seems that most people are getting tubs, anybody bought the clinchers? As I don't really know much about tubs, and don't really want to fork out an extra £60 for new tyres.... Although they are lighter! Hmmmmm
  • Percy Vera
    Dengfu's site seems to be down for a few days now (anyone know anything?). Luckily I ended up buying my frame from Carbonzone.
  • well my 38mm tubs came from carbonzone today and they look beautiful, there weight without skewers is 1321g. Can't wait for my FM015 now :D
  • Percy Vera
    well my 38mm tubs came from carbonzone today and they look beautiful, there weight without skewers is 1321g. Can't wait for my FM015 now :D

Hi, Once tyour wheels were posted how long did they take to arrive? I'd like to know when to expect delivery of my FM028 frame.
  • Hi, they only took 5 days; posted on the 9th and came today, very pleased with that.
  • Anonymous
    First TT on the new wheel last night, very pleased indeed :)
  • Which frame these companies do is supposed to be the best one?
    Is there one of these frames that's a little lighter, Stiffer, Prettier than the rest?
  • Also somebody who's in the know and feeling kind should do a guide as to which frame is which.
    I know the De Rosa = Ribble stealth and i know one is the cube lightning but what are the rest?
    I know there's some huge bargains but its actually pretty complicated finding out which frame is for what job.
    Which ones are a sportive bike and which are a stiffer more aggressive race orientated frame.
  • mcrdave
    mcrdave Posts: 501
    My opinion from looking at the geometry is the frame known as FM028 is slightly more sportive as it has a taller headtube and short top tube. FM015 is shorter on the headtube (more aggressive position) and longer top tube.

Carbonzone are my fave sellers, but haven't tried the others mentions here.
  • I've been looking and they are nice but Canyon seem to be calling to me...
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    edited April 2011
    New Aero frame from Hong Fu

201141415464310.jpg

Still think I 'm leaning towards an FM015 but this does look da bomb
  • designman
    designman Posts: 405
    Anyone know if I can purchase Carbon Clinchers from "carbonzone"?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    designman wrote:
    Anyone know if I can purchase Carbon Clinchers from "carbonzone"?

I was looking at these carbon clincher rims (or shallower variants thereof) on the eBay for ~£200, but then I stumbled across these and changed my mind as that seems like great value and much better suited to actually being used.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}