2011 Metric Century Challenge

Comments

• daibhi
    daibhi Posts: 21
    I'd be happy to to the update if there's no objections. Good look on your respective trips guys!
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    daibhi - thanks a lot and you are duly elected as May updater!!

Thanks for the good wishes too - will defo need the good luck.

Paul

Also good luck to everyone still in the challenge.
  • durrin
    durrin Posts: 123
    toontra wrote:
    Have a look at the Van Nicholas Yukon. ...

Oh good, someone with a Yukon!

Could you possibly tell me what size tires there is clearance for (with mudguards)? Are long-reach brakes necessary with the frame, or can normal brakes reach the rims?
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    gbs wrote:
    I'm in.

jan29: 127km, 1 point. 30% solo. 1041m vertical gain, ave speed 22.0 kph
    feb09: 104km, 1 point. 40% solo. 802 m vertical gain, ave speed 19.9 kph
    mar02: 101km, 1 point. 60% solo. 905m vertical gain, ave speed 20.0 kph
    apr06: 120km, 1 point. 35% solo. 1150m vertical gain, ave speed 19.6kph (a hot day)
    apr17:101km. 1 point. 50% solo. 610m vertical gain, ave spped 21.7 kph
    apr27: 115km. 1 point. 30% solo. 1306m vertical gain, ave speed 19.6kph
    may01: 113km.1 point. 100% solo. 533m vertical gain, average speed 23.7 kph
    may20: 163km. 1 point 15% solo. 1358m vertical gain, average speed 22.3kph

total points, YTD, 8
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    MikeEye wrote:
    We're starting on Sunday 22nd and doing 11 days riding with a rest day after 6 days. So you're going to be roughly four days behind all the way. Our route is 970 miles, so that's an average of 88 miles per day, but we've got a support vehicle provided by our company. Loosely following the CTC B&B route.

Belated good luck Mike - hope you had a good first day and bet you're glad you're doing LEJOG and not JOGLE given the weather in Scotland at the minute...
  • gbs
    Oh good, someone with a Yukon!

Could you possibly tell me what size tires there is clearance for (with mudguards)? Are long-reach brakes necessary with the frame, or can normal brakes reach the rims?[/quote]

@durrin:
    IMH, inexperienced, opinion
    1) 700x25 will allow a Raceblade 'guard but nothing larger. Max size tyre is 28 I believe.
    2) long reach brakes are necessary; Shimano RX100 in my case.
  • mikeeye
    mikeeye Posts: 162
    MikeEye wrote:
    We're starting on Sunday 22nd and doing 11 days riding with a rest day after 6 days. So you're going to be roughly four days behind all the way. Our route is 970 miles, so that's an average of 88 miles per day, but we've got a support vehicle provided by our company. Loosely following the CTC B&B route.

Belated good luck Mike - hope you had a good first day and bet you're glad you're doing LEJOG and not JOGLE given the weather in Scotland at the minute...
    Thanks PB - true indeed - it was pretty bad last week up north. We reached Scotland today. My legs are in good shape, but a rainy 5th day has left me a little sore down below. The whole team is getting through the sudocrem ;-)

We passed two guys today who were riding from Bristol to Edinburgh. One on a road bike with massively laden paniers, and the other on a single speed. I'm in awe. We gave them bananas and flapjack from the support van - least we could do for such heroes.
    If you still don't know what recursion is, read this sentence.
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    MikeEye wrote:
    MikeEye wrote:

Thanks PB - true indeed - it was pretty bad last week up north. We reached Scotland today. My legs are in good shape, but a rainy 5th day has left me a little sore down below. The whole team is getting through the sudocrem ;-)

We passed two guys today who were riding from Bristol to Edinburgh. One on a road bike with massively laden paniers, and the other on a single speed. I'm in awe. We gave them bananas and flapjack from the support van - least we could do for such heroes.
    Welcome to Scotland, first day in two weeks it's not been blowing a gale
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    yeah! allowed back on the bike this weekend ... went out for a hilly 100 km and bailed about 13 miles short after slogging it out for 3 hours straight in the cold rain (my neck is still broken, so didn't want to risk a fall in this weather). gutted, esp as could have made that up doing rp loops ... hoping for a papal dispensation but suspect i'm out :(

should add i have a 120 km dragon ride route entry ... pm me if interested (always can say accidentally clicked on F over M)
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    yeah! allowed back on the bike this weekend ... went out for a hilly 100 km and bailed about 13 miles short after slogging it out for 3 hours straight in the cold rain (my neck is still broken, so didn't want to risk a fall in this weather). gutted, esp as could have made that up doing rp loops ... hoping for a papal dispensation but suspect i'm out :(

should add i have a 120 km dragon ride route entry ... pm me if interested (always can say accidentally clicked on F over M)

Commiserations Bikergirl. You are incredibly brave. I don't think I'd have the guts to go anywhere near a bike in that state. Maybe there is a rule that kilometres ridden with a broken neck count double? If not there really ought to be.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    i'm all for that :) or points for 6 weeks on the turbo when it is FREAKISHLY sunny the entire time?
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    +1 for the riding with a broken neck counting double clause!
  • daibhi
    edited June 2011
    May update. 33 riders still in. Commiserations to those we've lost, especially bikergirl17. I shall have to defer to velocitizen for dispensations.

toontra 34
    daibhi 31
    Durrin 27
    ThreeLionsBrian 27
    MikeEye 26
    furrag 21
    genki 21
    Jonninho 20
    Runner2Cycling 19
    slog 18
    fridgeboy 17
    Mad One 17
    LA 16
    Omar Little 14
    lucky paddy 13?
    Christophe.cdb 12
    orbeaorca 12
    RedGreenBaron 12
    wiffachip 12
    p_munster 10
    RickyG 10
    Rolf F 10
    mr_poll 9
    DeadCalm 8
    gbs 8
    pdw 8
    Velocitizen 7
    JamieW 6
    leedsmjh 6
    thecrofter 6
    Wheelspinner 6
    Polly's Bott 5
    renard 5

I will check it over the next few days for late updates for May. Good luck for June!
  • thecrofter
    Thanks for the update, some awesome numbers there at the top of the table, how do you guys find the time? Are any of you married with kids?

Quite pleased I managed to sneak off the bottom of the table with a extra 100 on Sat morning :D
  • durrin
    durrin Posts: 123
    thecrofter wrote:
    Thanks for the update, some awesome numbers there at the top of the table, how do you guys find the time? Are any of you married with kids?

my thanks also for the update, very fast!

Can't speak for the others, but I am divorced, no kids. So yeah, that probably helps. Of course, the fact that I had a bunch of vacation days that needed to be burned off in April, and a pent-up desire to ride didn't hurt. But personally, I am in awe of the guys doing their PBP prep (f.ex. toontra) ... those 300 and 400 km rides are impressive. I imagine we'll be seeing the 600km qualifying brevets from some here soon (ThreeLionsBrian already did his 14-may!)
  • gbs
    gbs wrote:
    I'm in.

jan29: 127km, 1 point. 30% solo. 1041m vertical gain, ave speed 22.0 kph
    feb09: 104km, 1 point. 40% solo. 802 m vertical gain, ave speed 19.9 kph
    mar02: 101km, 1 point. 60% solo. 905m vertical gain, ave speed 20.0 kph
    apr06: 120km, 1 point. 35% solo. 1150m vertical gain, ave speed 19.6kph (a hot day)
    apr17:101km. 1 point. 50% solo. 610m vertical gain, ave spped 21.7 kph

apr27: 115km. 1 point. 30% solo. 1306m vertical gain, ave speed 19.6kph
    may01: 113km.1 point. 100% solo. 533m vertical gain, average speed 23.7 kph
    may20: 163km. 1 point 10% solo. 1358m vertical gain, average speed 22.3kph
    jun01: 106km. 1 point. 15% solo. 1234m vertical gain, average speed 20.2kph

total points, YTD, 9
  • durrin wrote:
    thecrofter wrote:

my thanks also for the update, very fast!

Can't speak for the others, but I am divorced, no kids. So yeah, that probably helps. Of course, the fact that I had a bunch of vacation days that needed to be burned off in April, and a pent-up desire to ride didn't hurt. But personally, I am in awe of the guys doing their PBP prep (f.ex. toontra) ... those 300 and 400 km rides are impressive. I imagine we'll be seeing the 600km qualifying brevets from some here soon (ThreeLionsBrian already did his 14-may!)

25 mins sleep and back with just over 10 mins to spare. 1st time 6 & SR
  • mikeeye
    Thanks for the update Daibhi. I've posted one more for the 31st May - can you believe some hostels don't provide free wifi fir guests? Shocking!

Chin up BikerGirl. Get back to the rides when your bones are healed. Good luck.

@thecrofter. Married with two kids, but one's at uni now. I've been very lucky this year to be allowed to do LEJOG plus all the training before hand. My metric century count won't keep ramping up so fast after June. :)
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    So the Dragon Ride was supposed to be a double for me, but it's come up a little short. My GPS has the ride itself as 196.66km. Looking at the map the ride from the car park to the far end of the queue was an extra 2.3 km, so that gets me to 199km. I definitely rode 400m or so after the event back to the car, so 199.4km of riding... and I reckon the queue was 750m long, but I did push that bit.

What do you reckon? Was it a double?
  • thecrofter
    pdw wrote:
    So the Dragon Ride was supposed to be a double for me, but it's come up a little short. My GPS has the ride itself as 196.66km. Looking at the map the ride from the car park to the far end of the queue was an extra 2.3 km, so that gets me to 199km. I definitely rode 400m or so after the event back to the car, so 199.4km of riding... and I reckon the queue was 750m long, but I did push that bit.

IMHO it counts as 1 point. Sorry. I would have ridden round the car park a couple of times to make sure. :(
  • pdw wrote:

What was the event listed as? thats what you paid for.

If you went round in 6 hours on your timings would we believe you :)

I did some long rides out of garmin range so i trusted the organisers on distance. Apart from the extra unwanted bits i added on.
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    What was the event listed as? thats what you paid for.

Listed as "200k", so I figured with the couple of km to the car park I'd be well in. Sadly I didn't check my GPS until after midnight when I got home.
    If you went round in 6 hours on your timings would we believe you :)

You'd have to because the event's beepy tag timing didn't work at all :D
  • I made it only 195.8km - I could probably have ridden another 4.2km if I'd been really bothered to but didn't see the point - especially after a rest and a bit of food - I was just focused on getting in the car and heading home without falling asleep !
  • pdstsp
    Thanks for doing the update daibhi - I'm back from the lejog thing so will be back to normal next month. Congrats to all still in and commiserations to those who have dropped out , particularly bikergirl - but at the risk of sounding old and soft please take it easy with that broken neck!!

Paul

PS Mike Eye - how did you get on with lejog?
  • mikeeye
    pdstsp wrote:
    It was awesome. Loved it. All seven of us finished too.

We had two days with a lot of rain, but on the whole the weather was pretty okay. We all needed the TLC that only sudocrem can provide after day 5 with continuous rain. :oops:

Northern coast of Cornwall has some hills in it - in case anyone was unaware.

Heavy rain, blazing sun and then hail on the day from Fort William to Tain. Tail wind all the way though so we made good progress (110 miles at 16.7 average). It's true what they say about riding yourself fitter. Plus with fewer days ahead of us we were less cautious about pacing ourselves.

Last day was blazing sun all the way. It looked like we were riding along the Med instead if the North Sea. It was great to meet up with some folks who'd set off the same day as us once we reached Jo'G - they took a more scenic 1200 mile route - ours worked out at 988 in the end.

What about you?
  • pdstsp
    Great - took it fairly easy in 12 days - longest day 91 in Devon/Somerset - Devon has some hills in it too. Only had two wet days - through Bristol and then Shrewsbury to Liverpool, otherwise decent weather. We had the "med" day in the Highlands to Loch Tummel - one of the best days ever on a bike. Picked up £5 sponsorship from the wife of Jimmy Rae - ex-pro from Muthill - kept us happy for hours just thinking about the niceness of people!!

Think we did 940 in the end but I did forget to turn the garmin on a couple of times so I could be 10 miles out either side.

Your ride across Scotland sounds great - we had a similar day from Helmsdale to JOG - once we were passed the Braes, riding fairly efortlessly down the slight gradient into Wick at just over 30.

Paul
  • daibhi
    pdstsp wrote:
    Thanks for doing the update daibhi - I'm back from the lejog thing so will be back to normal next month. Congrats to all still in and commiserations to those who have dropped out , particularly bikergirl - but at the risk of sounding old and soft please take it easy with that broken neck!!

Paul

No worries, pdstsp. Glad to put something back in as I've gotten a lot out of it. Well done on LEJOG and to MikeEye and toontra. Just updated now for toontra's epic ride.
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    Thanks daibhi, and well done to all the LEJoGers. We'll be seeing some big numbers posted in the next few months - hopefully!

Although it's technically been the driest spring on record, every time I've gone out on a long multi-day ride I've gotten soaked, wind-blown and very cold at night. I hope we've all suffered equally :wink:

a serious case of small cogs
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Congrats to Mike & pdstsp and everyone else doing monster rides... my modest contribution to the thread is a successful ascent of Holme Moss. Trundled across from Pontefract on Saturday morning and despite the gusty headwind and - what was for me - a long drag from (I think) Denby Dale up to Upper Cumbersomething and then the ups and downs before even hitting the main climb; I got up OK. Sure it was hard, but I wasn't completely wasted come the summit - those sprint intervals on the commute home must be paying dividends :D and hopefully a good omen for The Rumble...
  • JamieW
    JamieW Posts: 114
    sounds like you guys are having lots of fun. LEJOG sounds like a great challenge, think that its something i'd like to do soon... think that mrs and me are doing at least some of it on horseback next year.

quick update for 1st counting ride this month - gisburn dirty dozen - i know another mtb event,,,, but managed 101 miles in 11.30. not too bad but have come back with massive tendonitis in my right wrist. stuggling to bend and struggling to work.... had to lie to the boss and say that i fell and hurt it as been warned before for self inflicted injuries!!!

hoping to be fixed up enough for this weekend for a couple of long ones and dartmoor classic the weekend after.