2011 Metric Century Challenge

Comments

• Mad One wrote:
    I started racing 2 weeks ago now so I very much doubt I'll be able to get in more than 1 a month for the foreseeable .....
    ...and my 3rd spot won't last - I left Seville 10 days ago and I'm ill again! Will be a squeeze to do just one in March.

Thanks for doing this Mad One.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Sorry guys - been skiing for a few days - so thanks to Mad One for the update'

Thanks also to toontra for such a lovely comment.

Paul
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    pdstsp wrote:
    Sorry guys - been skiing for a few days - so thanks to Mad One for the update'

Thanks also to toontra for such a lovely comment.

Paul

No offence meant. It's no big deal really, but I'm not sure why you offered to do this when it's pretty clear you don't have the time or opportunity to actually do it, especially when others have offered.

a serious case of small cogs
  • pdstsp
    Toontra - Why don't you look back a page - I asked for a response about whether bikergirl wanted to do it as she seemed to be offering stats etc, however no responses came back. I also think its both rude and ridiculous to say that I clearly don't have the time or opportunity to do it - I went away for a few days on the 3rd of March - so, as many people in the past have not updated their rides until a few days into the month, decided it would be better to updat on the 8th.. In the meantime Mad One had helped out, for which I am very grateful. But toontra please remember this is a fun thread meant to keep us all motivated - its not the premier league. I will do the updates as close to the end of the month as possible.

In answer to your question I offered to do it as I have enjoyed the challenge for the last few years and felt it was appropriate to "put something back in", and this I am very happy to do. But thanks again for the tone - its charming.

Paul
  • bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    oh sorry: missed your post about doing the update -- and as you can see not exactly getting in the rides either! and it was only this loony challenge that motivated me to finish a metric century last weekend, cycling aimlessly in the surrey hills until i hit the 100 km mark.

happy to cover as need be ... pm better as more likely to see that since get an email alert.
  • velocitizen
    velocitizen Posts: 327
    Mad One

Darley Moor is in Derbyshire.
    Old motorbike track, windswept and desolate in early march.
    Ashfield RC put a race series on.
    100 riders in the first cat. 3/4 race.

Have a look at what Bunchcc make of it!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qO8-zIEV8Y&feature=player_embedded

Have we go the updates sorted? I agree not good form to be falling out over this.
    My line would be if you can't wait for pdstsp or bikergirl to update then do as Mad One did and update it yourself, I'm sure that would be acceptable to all?

Nottingham-Crich-Riber-Cromford-Nottingham this Saturday should get my March ride done.
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
    Enjoy the finest cycling in the Peak District.
    47, 75 and 111 mile routes.
    http://www.beestonccsportive.co.uk/
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    I make it only 23 in so far for March, with just two weekends to go. How many will drop this month???

Weather's looking good for this weekend so Sat morning I'll be up and out at 7 o'clock here's my route, a few more hills this time.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/27396894
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    SW London riders: if anyone cares for company on these longish rides pl let me know. Moderate pace, hilly or flat. Departure from RP or thereabouts to Surrey or Thames Valley.

I work mostly from home and am quite flexible. Any day except Tuesday is possible - thurs and friday preferred.
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    MikeEye wrote:
    That's a great ride from Mike Eye.Would be interested to know where you went?
    I did the route of the Discover Rutland CiCLE Tour 100 mile sportive from last April, but to get in the extra 40km, I rode out to it from home and then rode back afterwards. I had to do a lap of my village to bring the total up to 200km. The route took in Oakham, Belvoir Castle and a nasty steep climb at Launde Abbey at exactly 100 miles in.

It was a nice day to be out on the bike, but my average speed fell away hugely after 110km. I hadn't planned on going so far until the night before, so I hadn't stocked up on pasta in the previous days though - so I guess I know now how far my glycogen stores are good for!

GPS data here: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/67882916

I slept like a log last night :-)

(Preferiría estar en Sevilla :wink: )

Great ride Mike - the northernmost bit of your ride is my usual playground, the Vale of Belvoir and the Leicestershire Wolds are lovely and quiet. I've only ridden the area south-west of Oakham / Rutland Water a couple of times but think I'll be heading there a bit more for some pre-Ryedale Rumble climbing practice :D

Are you doing the CiCle Tour this year? I'm hoping to do the 50-miler if I get enough credit in the missus-bank, think 100 miles might still be beyond me mid-April... :(

I went and did the shorter CiCle Tour route today - 54 miles, but it was another 32 miles to get out to it and back so a new PB for PB :D Was a glorious day to be out on the bike. Yes Mike, that climb out of Launde Abbey is a bit of a git isn't it?!
  • mikeeye
    mikeeye Posts: 162
    I went and did the shorter CiCle Tour route today - 54 miles, but it was another 32 miles to get out to it and back so a new PB for PB :D Was a glorious day to be out on the bike. Yes Mike, that climb out of Launde Abbey is a bit of a git isn't it?!
    Nice one!

It's been a great week for cycling - more of the same please.
    If you still don't know what recursion is, read this sentence.
  • velocitizen
    Got my April ride in nice and early with an after-work ride around most of the 'Charnwood in the Spring' Audax route, which is on this Sunday.
    A nice ride out if anyone can make it.
    It was a lovely, warm Spring evening but a bit breezy
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • pdstsp
    edited April 2011
    Mad One 15
    daihbhi 14
    genki 12
    Mike Eye 10
    toontra 10
    durrin 10
    jonninho 9
    ThreeLionsBrian 8
    LA 8
    fridgeboy 8
    RedGreenBaron 8
    wiffachip 7
    Runner2Cycling 7
    p_munster 6
    bikergirl17 6
    slog 5
    orbeaorca 5
    Furrag 5
    Christophe.cdb 5
    JamieW 4
    Wheelspinner 4
    Lucky Paddy 4
    Omar Little 4
    Dead Calm 4
    pdw 4
    RickyG 4
    Velocitizen 3
    Polly's Bott 3
    RonB 3
    mr_poll 3
    Rolf F 3
    John Stevenson 3
    thecrofter 3
    leedsmjh 3
    renard 3
    gbs 3

34 left in.

Velocitizen - I cannot see your entry, is that it in the rules? I have put you in as a 3 and I may have had a "can't see for looking moment".
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    thanks for the speedy update and I do like the look of the table, but I seem to have acquired 8 free points. should be on 7

think I may have the next bloke down's points total
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Well, here I sit in the back of the broom wagon, still fiddling with my errant front wheel, as you all speed away over the horizon.

Good luck all! At least I'll get a hot shower!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• pdstsp
    Thanks wiffachip - now fixed and you are duly demoted and Mad One reinstated!!!
  • velocitizen
    pdstsp
    Thanks for the update, i just update the 'example post' in my original post each month. 3 is correct. Cheers.
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • pdstsp
    No problem - I think I left you out of the Jan update too - anyway back on track now and well done to everyone still in.

Paul
  • pollys_bott
    Got my April ride in nice and early with an after-work ride around most of the 'Charnwood in the Spring' Audax route, which is on this Sunday.
    A nice ride out if anyone can make it.
    It was a lovely, warm Spring evening but a bit breezy

Looked like a good number did this ride judging by the stream of bikes heading up to Seagrave... nice morning for it, hope they all finished before the downpours this afternoon.
  • bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    am reading through people´s posts and am truly in awe of the number of rides, distance, climbing, well, everything. thanks for the motivation!
  • mikeeye
    daibhi wrote:
    09 Apr 3 Points 341.0 km Total Points 18 Total km 2078.82 Hollywood 300 (+getting there)
    Impressive ride daibhi! :D
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    april 9 ... 73 miles ... 118 km ... 9 pts ... and OUT OF THE CHALLENGE??? Ride ended with a crash of unknown cause, which has left me with a fractured neck and various horrid facial injuries. Told it is 6 weeks off min, so looking dubious ... perhaps the powers that be will allow a turbo metric this one time?

So sorry to hear this BG. Get well soon.

a serious case of small cogs
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    toontra wrote:
    april 9 ... 73 miles ... 118 km ... 9 pts ... and OUT OF THE CHALLENGE??? Ride ended with a crash of unknown cause, which has left me with a fractured neck and various horrid facial injuries. Told it is 6 weeks off min, so looking dubious ... perhaps the powers that be will allow a turbo metric this one time?

May I add my good wishes. Let us have a bulletin of yr progress (and post event analysis if that is not distressing). All the best.
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • mikeeye
    gbs wrote:
    toontra wrote:
    May I add my good wishes. Let us have a bulletin of yr progress (and post event analysis if that is not distressing). All the best.
    +1

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.
  • pdstsp
    Jeez that sound horrific Bikergirl - all the best with the recovery - keep us posted.

Paul
  • daibhi
    daibhi Posts: 21
    Sorry to hear about your accident, Bikergirl and the best of luck with the recovery. And don't worry about this challenge. Your health is more important!
  • RickyG
    RickyG Posts: 58
    MikeEye wrote:
    gbs wrote:
    toontra wrote:
    +1

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

Just saw this when looking through people's updated posts. hope you get well soon Bikergirl!
    Rich
    Strava name: Richard Gawthorpe
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Logged on to update my rides, thinking I'd had a really crap month. Bad weather, visiting family, a new job with long hours, and a lousy cold all stopped me getting out and about. Today, last weekend of the month was just delightful, slow, but who cares?

Then I read BikerGirl's post, and my hassles are entirely insignificant.

Still in, and I promise not to even consider complaining again!!!

Get well soon.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    leedsmjh wrote:
    22 Mar - 1 point - 74 miles - 119 km - Total points 3 - Total km 322. Highlight: sunshine! the road from Stainforth to Halton Gill past Pen-y-Ghent

Michaela - have you tried the route via Langcliffe? It's much madder than the route from Stainforth! Nice though. Have a look on Google Earth (there is a wierd incident on the hairpins in the street view images.....).

Just got back from a run up Swaledale from Middleham. Beautiful! First ascent of Buttertubs and it is a great climb and a fast, fun descent. Not so great is following it immediately with Fleet Moss but that was still easier than Park Rash a few miles further on!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Was thinking I had a good April but my post is next to Toontra's and my efforts pale into insignificance (see bottom of page 2).

Great going Toontra!
  • pollys_bott
    mr_poll wrote:
    Was thinking I had a good April but my post is next to Toontra's and my efforts pale into insignificance (see bottom of page 2).

Great going Toontra!

+1

Toontra rode nearly as many miles in 3 weeks as I've done all year :shock: :shock: :shock:

Bikergirl - hope you are recovering OK