Silly Commuter Turbo Stats

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I forgot to mention that my conservatory was so cold that I had to wear bib shorts + L/S base layer and Castelli casual jacket

Plus a little Castelli cap natch!

The jacket came off after 10 mins, by the time i'd finished I was steaming literally :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I'll start in January. Until then, every morsel of energy, and any scrap of free time, is going in to passing 8,000 miles.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    I'll start in January. Until then, every morsel of energy, and any scrap of free time, is going in to passing 8,000 miles.

Paging Mrs CJCP to the forum

This chap reckons he has "free" time :roll:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    1 hour at 150-155bpm(tempo)
    Flippin borrrinngggg.
    Thinking of buying my own salting/gritting wagon.Just so i can clear my own local loops.Then no more turbo.Can't be that expensive surley. :lol:

May be if we all chip we could get are own bike radar fleet of gritters. 8)
  • itboffin
    Airwave wrote:
    1 hour at 150-155bpm(tempo)
    Flippin borrrinngggg.
    Thinking of buying my own salting/gritting wagon.Just so i can clear my own local loops.Then no more turbo.Can't be that expensive surley. :lol:

May be if we all chip we could get are own bike radar fleet of gritters. 8)

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm in :shock:
  • The 'Mad Bast*rd' unit of measure should be hours.

Who can sit there the longest, going nowhere?

Let battle commence.

[limbers up...no bugger's taking that trophy off me ;) ]
  • itboffin
    26 miles in 1hr 2 sec

Now the snow has all but gone my "turbo dungeon" quickly heated up, resulting in me loosing a significant amount of water.

10 min warm up, 4 x 10 ramp up, 5 min hard blast then 2 x 2.5 all out dropping down each time.

Surely these sessions must help hold on the basic fitness?
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:

They will, but if you're doing 26 miles in 1:02, I'd increase the resistance because it's a very good pace for an open-road 25.

Warm up for 10 mins, then do 2 x 20 mins hard, with a 10 min warm down.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    itboffin wrote:

I'm using mine to burn more calories than I drink...well I'm trying to at least :shock:
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

They will, but if you're doing 26 miles in 1:02, I'd increase the resistance because it's a very good pace for an open-road 25.

Warm up for 10 mins, then do 2 x 20 mins hard, with a 10 min warm down.

Funny you should mention that because I was wondering myself about the resistance, its one of those cheap mag turbos where you turn the screw to increase resistance, I have it set so that if you turn the cranks as soon as you stop the wheel stops, is that wrong?

I'm not sure how to set more resistance on this unit.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tranz-x-magn ... prod12027/

I'm not buying another so this will have to do, although it's pouring with rain here :D and the outside temp is 6c

Perfect CX weather :wink:
  • cjcp
    Try applying a bit more resistance. I've got a resistance wheel one that like. Can't remember how quickly the wheel stops turning, but I'm practically on my knees at the ends of the sessions.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    Oops a sneaky morning lap or two of the local villages confirmed my suspicions, NO ICE!!!!

Lunch at the in-laws today, I will be employing the old classic "I'll meet you there"

The long way of course :wink:

Let me see now 12 days to do 419 miles, that's only 34.91 miles a day :twisted:
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    itboffin wrote:
    Oops a sneaky morning lap or two of the local villages confirmed my suspicions, NO ICE!!!!

Lunch at the in-laws today, I will be employing the old classic "I'll meet you there"

Suspecting that you are a very determined chap, I am having to force myself out to make sure I also get to 8000 miles. Damn you I say!!!! :D
    Still breathing.....
  • cjcp
    hambones wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Suspecting that you are a very determined chap, I am having to force myself out to make sure I also get to 8000 miles. Damn you I say!!!! :D

Lalalalalala - can't hear you. Damn you both! :) I'm packing ready for house move and have a school Christmas Bazaar to go to. I may head out this evening on the pretence that I'm checking indexing and, er, stuff.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    :lol:

:twisted:

Mrs itboffin is back from a run, seems not everywhere is ice free :? 30 miles on a MTB with studded tyres ...?

Doable right? :roll:

@CJCP house move? not to far away I hope matey?
  • itboffin
    Turbo to warm up before I head out too :wink:

• cjcp
    itboffin wrote:

Mrs itboffin is back from a run, seems not everywhere is ice free :? 30 miles on a MTB with studded tyres ...?

Literally around the corner, about 150 yards.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Literally around the corner, about 150 yards.

That's 150 yards further from work, right? :lol:
  • itboffin
    Damn back on the turbo today unless there's a miracle change of weather.
  • itboffin
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Yeh seen that site, I gave it a go once - dull

I found watching BBC iplayer much better, instead of staring at the speedo wondering why its taking so long to get to the next mile, "oh damn I've only done 2 miles" I can watch something funny or interesting and time flies.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    itboffin wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Yeh seen that site, I gave it a go once - dull

I found watching BBC iplayer much better, instead of staring at the speedo wondering why its taking so long to get to the next mile, "oh damn I've only done 2 miles" I can watch something funny or interesting and time flies.

It's not for bleeding entertainment value :lol:
  • [Tim]
    [Tim] Posts: 64
    itboffin wrote:
    Funny you should mention that because I was wondering myself about the resistance, its one of those cheap mag turbos where you turn the screw to increase resistance, I have it set so that if you turn the cranks as soon as you stop the wheel stops, is that wrong?

Simplest way to do it is the run down - ie how long does it take the wheel to stop turning from 20mph. 10 seconds run down is what most people I know use but it doesn;t really matter - just make tyre pressures and run down the same and you are controlling the environment enough.

I'm on just over hours so far in 8 sessions (4 x 1 hour, 2 x 35mins)
  • itboffin
    [Tim] wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Simplest way to do it is the run down - ie how long does it take the wheel to stop turning from 20mph. 10 seconds run down is what most people I know use but it doesn;t really matter - just make tyre pressures and run down the same and you are controlling the environment enough.

I'm on just over hours so far in 8 sessions (4 x 1 hour, 2 x 35mins)

Interesting, thanks. Mine stopped pretty much dead as soon as I stopped pedalling, it's a pants model I know, I also know i'll end up buying a new one.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    can i join im getting my rollers today/tomorrow?
  • itboffin
    You know how people will watch paint dry, big brother springs to mind. I wonder how many people would watch someone workout on a turbo?

• itboffin
    20 miles, 50 mins, CAD 101

4 x 10
    2 x 5

Special thanks to BBC iplayer, Sherlock Holmes then Russell Howard
  • spasypaddy
    im going to use my rollers for the first time tonight, i fear an impaling might be occurring...
  • itboffin
    spasypaddy wrote:
    im going to use my rollers for the first time tonight, i fear an impaling might be occurring...

Ace i'll be very interested in how you get on, do report back.
  • spasypaddy
    itboffin wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

Ace i'll be very interested in how you get on, do report back.
    they are fantastic. seriously fantastic.

just need to get a new battery for my rear sensor on my garmin so it picks up speed as well as cadence.

just did some zone 2 and 3 work. almost fell off twice but managed to catch myself.

first 10mins i spent holding onto the freezer next to me, then started to get more confident, 10mins both hands on bars but leaning slightly on the freezer, last 10 mins riding as if i was on the road.

didnt bother playing with the resistance today as i think i need to conquer the rollers properly first