Irrational hatreds

Comments

• See, I knew that by putting my pedantry out there I would subject my post to scrutiny. That's why I tried to leave it as un-punctuated as possible!

Alas, I failed.

However, note that I say 'poor', not 'imperfect'.

Also, octopodes? Seriously? I am, as ever, happy to stand corrected if that's true!

EDIT: Oooh, oooh, another one for the list: disproportionate reactions. Not aimed at any of the above, of course.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,406
    edited November 2010
    People who use 'should of' when it is 'should have', and 'different to' when it should be 'different from'.

EDIT: Yep, weird: I typed 'of', but 'have' appeared instead. Auto correction it seems; why just that, but not so many other errors?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    rjsterry wrote:
    People who use 'should have' when it is 'should have'.

People who write things I don't understand. I'm not seeing a difference...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    Also, octopodes? Seriously? I am, as ever, happy to stand corrected if that's true!

yes if it was a latin based word the singular would be octopes and the plural octopedes.

To quote wikipedia "octopi[ed] is a Latinization of Greek third-declension masculine oktṓpous"

No idea what that means but there you have it.
  • Keith47
    Keith47 Posts: 158
    Did I miss something there? Is "should have" not the same as "should have"? I think it should have said "should of" :wink:
    The problem is we are not eating food anymore, we are eating food-like products.
  • Keith47
    Keith47 Posts: 158
    Hmmmmm I think the grammar is being corrected automatically, Ityped "of" and it came up "have".
    I'm going to lie down now..................
    The problem is we are not eating food anymore, we are eating food-like products.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    edited November 2010
    rjsterry wrote:
    People who use 'should have' when it is 'should have', and 'different to' when it should be 'different from'.

Presumably that is directed at users of the expression "should of". Otherwise it is truly an irrational hatred.

For me: peas. Don't like them anywhere near me or my food.

Ditto swede and baked beans.

And edges. Of tall structures. Specifically going anywhere near them. Can't you *see* that a freak gust of wind and you'd be off? It's so bloody obvious! Get back, I tell you!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    edited November 2010
    Chewing gum. Gaah - hand me that shotgun, to use on anyone with a gob ful of the stuff doing a passable impression of a cow. Let's start with Mr Sir Alex Ferguson. Unnnngggg.

+406 on the pedantry / grammar / spelling. Lord above it's not difficult. There's a difference between a typing error and wilful abandonment of the language in favour of ease (for which read idleness).

And people who insist on using American terms when ours are correct thank you; things like Fall for Autumn, and errr lots of other examples.

And then other people who come in and point out that Americanisms are actually correct, being derived from Old English, and that it's us who are wrong. No no no. It doesn't work like that. Correct English is whatever was common and correct usage from probaly the Edwardian period up to a few years ago, as modern usage and grammar is now officially pants. See?
  • Nifer
    Nifer Posts: 102
    Or "Should of", even, as the incorrect version.
  • Surely the fact that LiT's post is not perfectly composed is the aspect that makes the hatred irrational?

For me, rigid dogmatic people who disagree with my point of view.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • Hehehe. The "should of"/"should have" thing has been made rather difficult to illustrate with an auto grammar checker.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rjsterry
    OK, something very weird going on here. I saw the posts, thought, "I've mistyped that", so clicked on Edit and the text shown on the Edit page is different from that which is shown on the main thread page. Is this the Mods playing games?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Greg66 wrote:
    Hehehe. The "should of"/"should have" thing has been made rather difficult to illustrate with an auto grammar checker.

Brilliant. The site won't even allow this irrantional hatred to be uttered! Now, if they can design a system that works out the correct your/you're I'll be happy.
  • Nah, I think it is a grammer checker. Put two spaces in instead of one and it will ignore the error.

All highly amusing though, esp as all the correcting posts are getting nailed too...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    rjsterry wrote:
    OK, something very weird going on here. I saw the posts, thought, "I've mistyped that", so clicked on Edit and the text shown on the Edit page is different from that which is shown on the main thread page. Is this the Mods playing games?
    Kinda. The forum software has a simple grammar checker as well as the profanity filter.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Should of vs should have

Edit: I put an empty [ i ][ /i ] in the of.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    mkirby wrote:

yes if it was a latin based word the singular would be octopes and the plural octopedes.

To quote wikipedia "octopi[ed] is a Latinization of Greek third-declension masculine oktṓpous"

No idea what that means but there you have it.

Hello? Hello? **knocks on monitor screen*** Can anyone hear me?

I made this point on page 1. And threw octopuses into the mix.
  • CiB
    Regarding the 'should have', it is a bane of mine hearing the term 'should have known' as a 'wise after the event' comment. How illogical is that, to say that a problem arose because someone should have known something that he or she didn't [PS; include the use of "they" when faced with the indeterminate gender singular personal pronoun. No - don't use they for one unknown person, it's he or she. Right?]. Where was I? How can someone be expected to know something that he or she doesn't know that they don't know? Donald Rumsfeld, you were absolutely right in your famous observation.
  • dvdfoz
    dvdfoz Posts: 62
    New starters at work.

New starter this morning, and was knocked off this weekend, ( combination of poor judgement and an Addison Lee taxi).
    Last new starter, and weekend before ended up in hospital with broken collar bone.

( or is this an irrational fear?)
    Dalston --> Canary Wharf, and all pubs inbetween
  • rjsterry
    Automatic spelling and grammar correction software - just learn to use the language properly.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Onions
    Marmite (or Devil semen as I call it).
    Tattoos on women (not fond of tattoos at all, but I react disporportionately to women's tats)
    Your, you're, yore, yaw
    Their, they're, there
    Americans and Americanisms
    Business speak e.g. "lets run it up a flag-pole and see who salutes it", "face time", "touch base" etc
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • poacherjake
    poacherjake Posts: 45
    edited November 2010
    Ratatouille: vegetables massacred in tomato slop - who could resist?

Sit-up-and-beg granny bikes as ridden by young ladies in certain cities: but they confer an aura of old-worlde glamour and quirkiness on the rider, I hear the ladies cry. No they don't, they confer the certainty that the rider really does try a bit too hard.

Colin Murray: how long before he's beamed directly into our living rooms like Richard Burton in 1984?
    Specialized Allez 24
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    We've got a few common spelling and grammatical errors loaded into the swear filter. "should of" is one of them, and it automatically corrects.

Another example is that it will correct most misspellings of peloton. :)
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I have an irrational hatred of people using "invite" as a noun (I use "invitation"). "I didn't get an invite to the party." This also extends to people who talk about "an install", rather than "an installation" (e.g. "my Windows install needs updating").
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    edited November 2010
    Microsoft and all it stands for - including the assumption that everyone spells the American way

Grey squirrels

Crap on TV - estate agents, sad chavs, so-called celebrities who are famous for being famous

Blue sky thinking - wtf ?

Early Byzantine church music
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Apple fans
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • CiB
    And slugs. No thanks.
  • Apple fans

Flashmobbing - and specifically those who flashmob: flashmobbers or more accurately, herberts.
    Specialized Allez 24
  • I should of learned to spell peleton by now.

Walking to the sink
    Noticeboards
    The Antiques Roadshow
    Souped-Up Trek Hybrid ( Clipless & Skinnies - FCN 6 )

Regularly humbled by the RP3LC, and the FG temptation is getting too much.
  • CiB
    Chelsea, and Man Urenited. I really can't stand the both of them. Extend that to encapsulate Mr Ferguson too, not least for his now childish refusal to talk to the BBC and in not doing so prevent the next generation of fans from hearing the manager's views unless we buy Sky, which I refuse to do out of principle.

Sky tv.

Labour.

Soaps - Stenders, Corinaction Street etc. Just why are they so popular?

Radio 1, ever since about 1991.

And Centre Lane Hoggers on the motorway. Drive on the chuffing left you brain dead selfish muppets. You're in England. God help a centre lane hogger with his fog lights on...

I'll shut up now.