the Cyclo cross racing post

Comments

• shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Remarkably I've found the studs that came with my mtb shoes when I bought them a decade ago. They've been in my bike bits box all that time, in three different houses and two continents!
    I don't mtb very much...
  • jezzasnr
    jezzasnr Posts: 225
    Anybody else going to Ottery St Mary on Sunday, or St Austell the following weekend?
    ....like it's golden
  • Just got back from Zappi's Central League over Oxford way.

Great course, good mix of technical sandy sections, short climbs, single track wooded section and long drags into a horrendous headwind! This time I managed to be about 50 meters after the finish when the winners battled it out, so had the last lap in splendid isolation.

I hope the guy in the black and lime green top who crashed next to me on the big descent mends soon. Think he was in LBRCC or TRISPORTS kit. Looked like a broken collar bone with how he walked away. From the ferocity of the impact a broken collar bone might just have been a light get off. If he reads this, be interested to hear what happened. .. from my perspective it looked like your front wheel just stopped dead and catapulted you over the bars and down the hill. I've couldn't believe the speed at which you hit the deck headfirst! I was going to shout the Marshall at the top of the climb afterwards but they were on the way to you anyway!
  • antsmithmk wrote:
    Just got back from Zappi's Central League over Oxford way.

Great course, good mix of technical sandy sections, short climbs, single track wooded section and long drags into a horrendous headwind! This time I managed to be about 50 meters after the finish when the winners battled it out, so had the last lap in isolation

Yes had a great race, only problem (and my fault), was letting a guy past just at the end of the drag before the start finish thinking I'd pass him just before the banking only to see the chequed flag.....bugger, had no idea, thought I had another lap. A lot of guys with punctures today. Hope everyone who crashed today is ok.
  • The wooden section actually had a few stumps and lumps which could cause pinches. Prob was it was a sunny day so I had dark shades on... made for an interesting few seconds while my eyes adjusted when going into the woods!
  • That wooded section just didn't have a rhythm to it at all or at least not one I could find.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I started off being frustrated with the wooded section because it was almost impossible to pass tail-enders; after a couple of laps I realised it was effectively a neutralised section, and a good opportunity to grab a breather ahead of that energy sapping drag...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Newbie report. Did my first yesterday.

I cycle everyday. Commute 20 miles in and back. Do long sportives. Am pretty fit and moderately useful.

This morning I feel like I've been hit by a truck. I absolutely loved it.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • devhads
    devhads Posts: 236
    I'll be at Wendover next week, cyclingsheep, so we can resume our battles.

Raced yesterday in the Eastern league at Davy Down. Great course with a bit of everything, steps, a bridge some wooded singletrack. Warm weather but with some slippery corners. Finished in the top half for the first time ever. :-)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    How muddy was Davy Down? It's a great course, with a little bit of everything but it can get very, very muddy.
  • grape72
    grape72 Posts: 30
    Newbie report. Did my first yesterday.

I cycle everyday. Commute 20 miles in and back. Do long sportives. Am pretty fit and moderately useful.

Black Condor, pink cables? Thought it might be you! Mudbath there yesterday fair play, I was an interested spectator yesterday, my son was racing and I'm waiting for my Bivio to arrive.
    You looked as if you were enjoying anyway. Who was the other Gwlader?
    Come down for the Pembrey leg Nov 23'd, it's always a much drier course with a bit of variety through the woods.
    "Clarity, just confuses me"
  • grape72 wrote:
    Newbie report. Did my first yesterday.

Black Condor, pink cables? Thought it might be you! Mudbath there yesterday fair play, I was an interested spectator yesterday, my son was racing and I'm waiting for my Bivio to arrive.
    You looked as if you were enjoying anyway. Who was the other Gwlader?
    Come down for the Pembrey leg Nov 23'd, it's always a much drier course with a bit of variety through the woods.

Yep. The other one was Mike Thomas, aka Cardiffthomas, though, like me, he's rather given Gwlad up.

We're hoping to hit Brecon next week but will definitely be doing Pembrey. Really looking forward to that.

What spec Bivio are you going for?
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    andyp wrote:
    How muddy was Davy Down? It's a great course, with a little bit of everything but it can get very, very muddy.

Not too muddy. It started the day a bit squelchy, and progressively dried out. It rode fast, and the racing was good. A lot of LL riders turned out so the fields were quality.
  • grape72
    grape72 Posts: 30
    Yep. The other one was Mike Thomas, aka Cardiffthomas, though, like me, he's rather given Gwlad up.

We're hoping to hit Brecon next week but will definitely be doing Pembrey. Really looking forward to that.

What spec Bivio are you going for?[/quote]

Sky blue custom paint! Shimano 105 with hydraulic discs and handbuilt wheels. It's turning into bit of a treat bike, but in my defence I've offloaded my MTB, winter road and hybrid bike to make room (and funds) for the Condor!
    After seeing yours and one other in the flesh yesterday I'm flipping well excited.
    Not sure If I'll have it in time for Pembrey, but I'm hoping to borrow a MTB or a cross to do it because last year was great! If I see you down there I'll come and introduce myself.
    "Clarity, just confuses me"
  • That's going to look amazing! Fingers crossed. Come along and say hi, I'm Chris, but please feel free to call me Bender. Everyone does :D
  • devhads
    How muddy was Davy Down?

Muddy in parts but not too bad. There was a handful of occasions where I was glad I had Limus on but probably could have got away with Grifos. I'm sure people with more skills than me were mostly running intermediates

Edit - Didn't read VamP's reply first but yes, not too bad.
  • Have to say, given yesterday's quagmire (at Carmarthen) I was stunned at just how well my Planet X Uncle John tyres went. Basically they're Kenda Small block 8'esque and had no right to cope!
  • I was stunned at just how well my Planet X Uncle John tyres went. Basically they're Kenda Small block 8'esque and had no right to cope!

... but I guess the Challenge Limus are on their way... :mrgreen:
    left the forum March 2023
  • I was stunned at just how well my Planet X Uncle John tyres went. Basically they're Kenda Small block 8'esque and had no right to cope!

Possibly!!!!! The open tubular sort :D

I might "make do" with the Grifo though.

Possibly!!!!! The open tubular sort :D

I might "make do" with the Grifo though.

Or both... :mrgreen:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Stop it. Stop it right now.

I'm currently trying to get the Mrs to want to get the kids involved.

That way I get permission to do the "dad's race" every weekend :D
  • tgotb
    I'm currently trying to get the Mrs to want to get the kids involved.
    Do it! There's no branch of cycling more kid-friendly than cross, and there are always plenty of kids to play together while their parents are racing.

Tyres for kids are straightforward; Small Block 8s at 12-15psi seem to work in any condition.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Despite the fact that it chucked it down most of the week here in the East Mids, Saturday's latest N&D adventure was a surprisingly dry affair. I did an OK ride, but being taller than average the strong wind blowing across the playing fields at Bingham got the better of me and I found it tough work - I ended up a lowly 46th of 59 finishers. On the plus side, I was only one lap down on the winner, and picked up enough confidence on the last couple of laps to tackle the slippery off-camber chicanes actually riding instead of running, with the new Clement PDXs doing everything expected of them.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • shazzz
    Racing this weekend?

I'm off to Rapha Supercross at Ally Pally to watch the Elites and then do battle through the foam fountain with someone dressed as Batman.

It's a shame this clashes with Wendover, but should be fun!
  • tgotb
    shazzz wrote:
    Racing this weekend?
    Wendover on Sat for me, and then Southampton on Sunday. Nothing like turning up to an NT race with tired legs :roll:
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • shazzz
    Nice.
    Out of interest, do you need an invite to ride the National Trophy races or is it a free for all?
    Good luck!
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    TGOTB wrote:
    shazzz wrote:
    Racing this weekend?
    Wendover on Sat for me, and then Southampton on Sunday. Nothing like turning up to an NT race with tired legs :roll:

See you there. Did back to back races most weekends this season, and it's not so bad. Just make sure you're good and fresh going into the weekend.

Having said that. I have family commitments on Saturday so no racing for me then :(
  • tgotb
    VamP wrote:
    I have family commitments on Saturday
    Me too; have to take my youngest to a cyclocross race :-)
    shazzz wrote:
    Nice.
    Out of interest, do you need an invite to ride the National Trophy races or is it a free for all?
    Good luck!
    BC seemed to accept my entry automatically. Had to wait a day or so for my Nationals entry to be accepted, which suggests there was a manual check somewhere. If you have any BC ranking points (generally you get points for top 10 in local league races) you should be fine for both, at least in the Vets. Don't know whether it's harder to get into the Senior race, but I wouldn't have thought so.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    shazzz wrote:
    Racing this weekend?

I'm off to Rapha Supercross at Ally Pally to watch the Elites and then do battle through the foam fountain with someone dressed as Batman.

It's a shame this clashes with Wendover, but should be fun!

N&D at Alfreton for me. Far less razzmatazz, but hopefully mud will be in plentiful supply....

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • devhads
    Did back to back races most weekends this season, and it's not so bad

Doing a double header this weekend too, Wendover on Saturday and Mistley on Sunday. Luckily I have a day off work on Monday to recover.