First date on Friday

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm going on a first date on Friday and I have a problem:

I'm getting a cold.

Do I continue cycling to work or do I take PT and save myself 30 minutes of being cold each morning?

Also, date ideas for central London can't go amiss.
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• It's not cold enough to get cold yet. Take the bike - there's fewer germs floating around when you're on a bike.

No suggestions for the venue but the very best of..., all the same. Have fun wherever you decide to go.

:wink:
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    strada london bridge, get a room upstairs, ask for window view over tower bridge. Fair prices and just right for a 1st date
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    edited October 2010
    You'll pick up more germs on PT than on the bike - fresh air will do you good - just make sure you don't sit around in cold sweaty clothing.

First date huh - hint - don't overdo the cycling angle - lycra is not a good look off the bike 8)
  • EKE_38BPM
    You're right. MTFU and keep riding.

Thinking comedy club for the date. Lets just hope the comedian doesn't think its funny to target us.
    First date huh - hint - don't overdo the cycling angle - lycra is not a good look off the bike 8)

When we met I was wearing a quite tight long sleeved cotton t-shirt with a high lycra content. Maybe she likes the skinsuit look?

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Hit the Morpeth Arms on a friday evening. You won't have any real cyclists there only the pi$$head cyclists that frequent here :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Dems scalping words.

• Comedy club is brave for a first date... I'd go with (and prefer) the drink/dinner option particularly somewhere along the South Bank. If it's dry, it's a lovely spot to walk along hand in hand and then 'warm each other up' a bit.

Comedy with anyone you don't know that well but want to (I assume) impress is fraught with potential dangers. If the comedian is slightly off-colour or non-PC then you end up wondering whether you can laugh or whether your date will assume you're racist/sexist/fattist/anti-religion if you do. And that's without the dread that you'll get picked on...
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    wondering whether you can laugh or whether your date will assume you're racist/sexist/fattist/anti-religion if you do

Surely a good way to figure out if there's a future
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    dhope wrote:
    wondering whether you can laugh or whether your date will assume you're racist/sexist/fattist/anti-religion if you do

Right, so the choice is now Bernard Manning or Jim Davidson.

• d87heaven
    d87heaven Posts: 348
    You sure you want to date either of them :shock:
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,181
    There was a cracking thread on here a few months back about top tips for London venues to take your other half - maybe worth a search?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • dhope
    edited October 2010
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Right, so the choice is now Bernard Manning or Jim Davidson.

Well you'll probably struggle to get a first date with Bernard Manning these days.

Edit: ah, beaten to it
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Dans le noir near Smithfield, if it's still open and you're after something different.

If not, then Dehesa in soho is bang on. Book a low table if you can.
  • Being cold doesn't cause a cold. Catching a cold in the winter is more to do with being stuffed up indoors in closer contact with other people.

Just don't exhaust yourself on the bike and take your multivits.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Being cold doesn't cause a cold. Catching a cold in the winter is more to do with being stuffed up indoors in closer contact with other people.

Just don't exhaust yourself on the bike and take your multivits.

+1
    Do chills or exposure to cold temperatures cause colds?
    In a word - no. Some people may sneeze if their skin is cooled. More people catch colds when the weather temperature is cold than when it is warm outside because they tend to be inside more often and longer. People tend to blame cool temperatures for getting a cold rather than being in closer, prolonged contact with people who have a cold.

Some people associate exposure to the cool air from air conditioners as a cause of colds. Again, it is not the temperature that is the culprit. Air conditioners remove moisture from the air which, in turn, can dry the mucous on the nasal membrane. Without a sufficient mucous layer covering these membranes, the nose becomes more susceptible to viruses that cause the common cold.
  • Everything you need to know about first dates, and beyond, can be gleaned from a quick viewing of The Inbetweeners.

Simples.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    Fantastic telly.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    In the last couple of years, I have done a lot of dating (isn't the internet wonderful :D ) and although I'm not an expert, there were a couple of places that I found were better received than others. I don't know how well you know this lady (?) previously, which obviously affects things but as above, comedy club might be a bit dangerous on a first date - you laugh loudly at something and she's sitting there tight-lipped is not a good thing perhaps...

Near London Bridge is http://www.lacaverestaurant.co.uk which I stumbled across one evening, very pleasant, nice wine, good staff and you can have a cheese platter or a proper meal depending on how its going.

Upper Street is good for a wander if you're unsure what you want to eat as it has a whole range of different restaurants, most of which actually are worth it. There was one restaurant that got me on a Friday and a Saturday at the same table with different ladies :oops: Not my choice the second night...

Hope it goes well for you :)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Coq d'argent
    1 Poultry
    London
    EC2R 8EJ

Rooftop bar (has indoory/restaurant bit, rooftop garden and nice warm heaters) literally on top of Bank tube station.

That place will get you epic levels of laid. Both buckwild and meaningful all in one go! Your pelvis will be dust and you won't be able to cycle no more! What a way to go.

It's so nice even if I took LiT there she might be swayed to put out... and she doesn't normally go for "them".
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I always hate the idea of a restaurant or bar for a first date. A good alternative for a Friday evening is the Tate Modern. Lots to look at, that will also hopefully help to keep the conversation flowing. You also have a nice walk along the south bank at the end of the date.
  • dhope
    squired wrote:
    I always hate the idea of a restaurant or bar for a first date. A good alternative for a Friday evening is the Tate Modern. Lots to look at, that will also hopefully help to keep the conversation flowing. You also have a nice walk along the south bank at the end of the date.

See comedy evening pitfalls
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DonDaddyD
    edited October 2010
    Some DDD dating rules:

On wine:
    Order Grenache if red. Semilion if white. 2003 - 2006 (hot summers great yields). I don't bother with Rose.

Grenache (red) and Semilion (white) are my favourite red and white wines.

On other drinks:
    Don't order lager or beer as the gas will make you bloated and uncomfortable. Order something sexy - not JD and Coke the CHAVS choice to impress. Get vodka, whisky or rum. On ice. With lemonade, maybe coke or grapefruit juice (if she's a fancy lass).

My choice is Bison Grass (Vodka) and apple juice, this always makes for conversation. Drink slow and meaningful (but match her pace) as though you are more interested in her and what she is saying.

On food:
    Don't over do the portion size. I know, like me, you can put down food but in this instance it may just be off putting. Plus you don't wanna be caught short.

If you're like me avoid chicken on the bone, it'll just p!ss you off that you won't be able to pick it up, clean the bone, chew the gristle and suck the marrow.

On her:
    Compliment her one or two of the following: Hair, dress, shoes, earrings, ring, braclet, bangle or necklace.

I tend to go for the shoes and a jewellery item. That way I can touch her and thus break the physical barrier. This often encourages kissing either then or at a later stage.

If at anytime she rest her leg on yours then she wants it and you are getting laid.

On chewing gum:
    Wriggles green extra will keep your breath minty more than any other chewing gum or mint flavoured substance on Earth. Simply a must! Never put it in your mouth in front of her, don't offer her any she may think you think her breath stinks. Let her ask for some. Don't openly chew in front of her, be discreet. It's a skill.

On chewing gum part two:
    Keep the packet in the pocket close to the thigh, should she ask get it out. The warmth of the packet generated by your manly crotch area will turn her on. (Girls don't like to admit this)

On the bill:
    When you go to pay the bill if she isn't reaching for her purse and offering to pay at least half then it's likely she's not use to paying her way and won't be anytime soon. She's not a keeper. Of course you're not going to make her pay, the gesture on her part would have been nice, but you aren't going to see her again either.

On kissing:
    Don't lean in for the kiss too early, build up to it, let her want it and work for it. If it gets to the end of the night and it hasn't happened, worry.

On the journey home:
    Unless its agreed that either of you are staying at the other's place don't get a cab. You may find that she is going in completely the opposite direction or the cab driver wants to cock-block and advises that you take seperate cabs. Get public transport home, offer to walk her to her door or wherever you agree to part ways.

Go for the kill on her doorstep or where you agree to part ways. I.e. lean in, drop the shoulder and slip the tongue. - This may be your last chance nothing gained is nothing lossed. So man-up and go for it.

On bom chicka wah wah:
    (This is where I excel) Make sure you read up on some special moves. She'll be grading you on fiver things:
      Pace Power Aggression Control Creativity
    The significance is whether there will be a round two or if she can live with this for the rest of her ability to do so. Don't force it too much, her bucks and your grinds won't be intune yet but you should at least try to prove that you can be compatible. Don't be scared to rev-up to awesome, this is buckwild, meaningful comes later.

On the next day:
    If she stayed and you have a car drop her home. If not get her a cab, your choice to pay. I don't. If you stayed at hers get a cab/bus get off the stop early and do the glory walk home! Text her somepoint before X-factor but no earlier than 3pm. Wait for her to then contact you. I tend to call. I hate text. Arrange to meet her again after the third text or during the first phone call. Don't leave it too long to see her again, mid week (Wednesday) is always a good'un not too busy and helps break up the week.

Good luck.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Some DDD dating rules:

On wine:
    Order Grenache if red. Semilion if white. 2003 - 2006 (hot summers great yields). I don't bother with Rose.

Bzzzt! Just bzzzt.
  • Stevo_666
    Save up for this: http://www.galvinatwindows.com/, although if she's a 'nice' girl you might want to keep it for the 'make or break' third date.

If that doesn't get you laid, ask for your money back. (Worked for me :wink: )
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Verbal
    Verbal Posts: 100
    You could try the restaurant at the top of the National Portrait Gallery, overlooks Trafalgar Square. A good date place...

http://www.searcys.co.uk/nationalportra ... estaurant/
  • il_principe
    My tip would be to avoid restaurants on a first date. If you realise you don't like her in the first few minutes, then sitting through a meal (which you will likely pay for in a misplaced show of chivalry) for a good hour or so, will be tortuous. I speak from experience, costly experience.
  • il_principe
    Also the restaurant at the top of the Tate Modern is a good bet. Excellent nosh and fab views over London.

Oh and Champor Champor in London Bridge is a hidden gem.
  • Stevo_666
    My tip would be to avoid restaurants on a first date. If you realise you don't like her in the first few minutes, then sitting through a meal (which you will likely pay for in a misplaced show of chivalry) for a good hour or so, will be tortuous. I speak from experience, costly experience.
    A decent dinner shows you're not too badly off and willing to splash out - looking like a tightwad never goes down well.

Yes there will be non-starters but sometimes you have to invest to get a return :)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Some DDD dating rules:

On wine:

Bzzzt! Just bzzzt.

I like a full bodied, smooth and not to sharp wine. Grenache fulfils this.

On white, every Semilion I've had has been awesome. Including the one I had at a wedding in the Temple Church. The daughter of a knighted High Court Judge and my mate. I probably couldn't afford the wine myself but it was superb.

Why bzzzzt!

There is a downstair bar beside the law society building on Chancery Lane. You may need to be a Lawer to get in though. Still lovely, dark and intimate.

Other than that I'd avoid the city on Friday and try somewhere on the outskirts.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Some DDD dating rules:

On wine:

Bzzzt! Just bzzzt.

I think I'd have buzzed in at "Some DDD dating rules". He asks us lot for advice on all his major life issues for goodness sake.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition