• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    freehub wrote:
    So about 3.5 teaspoons?

Eh? For 25g?

Now I know you're taking the pi55!
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Will, I'll bring you a scoop from some baby formula when you're back in Manc. Remind me.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • one decilitre /half a cup. Mix in milk and or water to ok drinking consistency (about 3 times as much liquid as powder. Using hot water denatures the proteins - like cooking meat. May or may not be helpful.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    a_n_t wrote:
    Will, I'll bring you a scoop from some baby formula when you're back in Manc. Remind me.

Thanks.

Has anyone like not got any idea of a basic device in the house like a spoon how many simple teaspoons or something it'd take

Half a cup of powder sounds insane? The 5kg bag would be gone in no time.

**edit**, ok, so like half a small paper party cup, I underestimated the amount by far!

Anyway I just had 25g in a cup of milk, it was still rather lumpy, but hopefully that won't make it work less? Despite it being unflavoured, in milk tastes really nice, sort of a ting of vanilla I think.
  • Anonymous
    Being lumpy won't make it any difference other than to the texture. It's more pleasant when smooth...
  • freehub
    As soon as I put the milk in it turned to lumps.
  • Anonymous
    You need a shaker.

If you are ever passing my neck of the woods, you can have one of mine.
  • freehub
    Thanks, I'll plan a club ride that goes right past your house and we can all stop for a cafe stop at your house and I can obtain the shaker then :P
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    In the meantime blitz it with a blender. It's what I used when I used protein powder. With a blender the world of protein supplementation becomes so much more exciting :lol:
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    You sure you haven't had a good rummage around in the tub for the scooper? Of it gets buried quite far down.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • freehub
    Well I did a 120 mile ride yesterday, I bonked with 40 miles left to go, I know why. I rode Thursday, 65 miles, pushed very hard on the return, and due to this was not recovered by Sat, my legs were stiff, so obviously I should not really have rode.

But my legs where in so much pain they were that tired. I had some of that protein whey as soon as I got in, with some banana milkshake I made with t blender. My legs have recovered so much quicker, they'll be fine by tomoz, allthough I won't be riding this week as I have to sort out moving back to mcr on sun so lots of do lukilly.
  • For what its worth I have been using myprotein impact whey for a while.
    Simply put its brilliant and the trash they put in rego recovery (aspartame) is naughty!
    E mail them and they send you back a load of old tosh..really gets them spiky!
    Truth hurts?

I use a scoop and if packed in tight its 27grams (scoop is 7grams) so you need 1 and a bit to make the 30grams suggested.

Plain tastes good to me cheaper and more protein/less fat than the flavoured stuff...personal choice I guess.

Beware though I think you can get addicted to protein!!!!
    One of the lads at work gets through over 150grams a day....bloats you mind?

Once you get a shaker you can always mark the shaker once weighed for future.

Find a good "dealer" borrow the electronic scales for initial weighing.
  • freehub
    I found a 7g scoop in my parents kitchen and found some scales on the wall so I managed to get exactly 25g. I found it adds a nice touch to a banana milkshake.

I can't imagine how you could get addicted to protein!?!?!?
  • I can't imagine how you could get addicted to protein!?!?!?

Its called bodybuilding or freaking madness depending on ones point of view!!!!!!!! :twisted:
  • NapoleonD
    May i ask

what protein are you using from the company Myprotein? (about 98 different proteins show up on their website)

Their prices look ***king great even with the shipping cost to me here in Spain.
    Myprotein referral code mp288135 (get money off)
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    This is what im currently using, mixes well and it is actually unflavored unlike other brands.....

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/products/impact_whey_protein
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    Freehub - For a few years now I have been using ALLSPORTS Winter Training Fuel. I swear by it and never ever get the bonk when I use it. However on a limited budget, it might not be an option for you, :(
  • freehub
    I don't usually bonk tis rare.

I've had 4 days off the bike but I'm wanting to go on the bike now, and despite not eating crap loads I've gone from 11.9 stone to 12.3-4 stone :shock:

I feel recovered tho, wanting to go on the bike and all that..
  • freehub wrote:

I've had 4 days off the bike but I'm wanting to go on the bike now, and despite not eating crap loads I've gone from 11.9 stone to 12.3-4 stone :shock:

Possible muscle glycogen replenishment. Don't make the mistake a few athletes at my Uni have after a rest, thinking they've gained unnecessary weight only to starve themselves and ruin some good form they've got.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Anonymous
    ArroyoDave wrote:
    NapoleonD
    May i ask

what protein are you using from the company Myprotein? (about 98 different proteins show up on their website)

Their prices look ***king great even with the shipping cost to me here in Spain.

The impact whey.
  • freehub
    freehub wrote:

Possible muscle glycogen replenishment. Don't make the mistake a few athletes at my Uni have after a rest, thinking they've gained unnecessary weight only to starve themselves and ruin some good form they've got.

I won't be starving myself.

I went out today, not good really, my left leg cramped up, as usual, my left calf started aching/ hurting if I proded it, it was suddenly there when I woke up one morning, after 3 days off the bike.

I can't tell if I am fully recovered on my bike tho cause it's too uncomfortable, horrible fit, probably does more harm than good, going to wait to get it set up properly next week.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    It was setup at hewitts right or was that another bike?
  • freehub
    Garz wrote:
    It was setup at hewitts right or was that another bike?

That was the CAAD9.
  • Have you got a tape measure?

It's not -that- hard to get two bikes set up the same. You could either take the measurements from your CAAD9, or if that's not possible I remember you posting a scan of the diagram from your bike fitter with all the measurements on it.
  • freehub
    tomb8555 wrote:
    Have you got a tape measure?

It's not -that- hard to get two bikes set up the same. You could either take the measurements from your CAAD9, or if that's not possible I remember you posting a scan of the diagram from your bike fitter with all the measurements on it.

Yeah but the position I got from Paul Hewitt was I'm afraid to say, proper cack, not saying anything bad about him, probably was difficult with the bike, or me. But the saddle was actually far too high, and the bars were too.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Bike fitting is a 2-way thing though. There's multiple set-ups for every person, it just depends what you want (upright, low, stretched out as well as other very subjective things).

How about going out for a few hours on the road with a few allen keys and try different saddles heights, saddle positions, bars heights, bar tilts?

I've found it to be the easiest way in deciding what i like or don't like. Try everything though, not just what you think should be 'right'. Sometimes common perceptions aren't right for you.

Adapt the bike to fit you instead of adapting to a fit. If you're getting chronic problems/aches/pains, then get a proper biomechanical fit done.
  • EKIMIKE
    One thing i don't get about what you're saying is your saddle height. Bare with me, i'm using pics of your Caad9 for reference and i know you don't have it any more but saddle height (Centre BB to Saddle level) is a critical dimension which shouldn't change from bike to bike.

You say the fit you had was cack. I assume it was this:

DSC00332.jpg

Now compare it to where i assume you moved the seatpost to in the most recent pic of the Caad9 (RIP):

DSC00218-1.jpg

That's a MASSIVE difference in the amount of seatpost showing (looks about 4cm). So are you saying your saddle was 4cm (for arguments sake) too high in Pic1? If so, how the hell did you ride a bike with a saddle 4cm too high? How did you turn the pedals?
  • freehub
    I think my feet were pointing down quite abit and my legs were almost totally stretched out.

Damn I miss that CAAD9, I'm almost half tempted to just spend 400 quid on a new CAAD9 frame, sure it'll still have shite shifters and all that, but it'll be a bike that I felt fast on, I feel like an old grandad on this white bike and can't maintain a high power output, I can do massive power bursts and that's, well high for me, I've got crappy low output atm, around 1000W max.
  • EKIMIKE
    Did you say you are getting calf cramps?

IME if your cleats are positioned too far forward, it increases the stress on your calf muscle and in my case i start cramping. It's worth a try.
  • freehub
    I don't get cramps that effect me on the bike as such, it's usually off the bike, and occurs sometimes a few days after rest. Allthough even if I take it steady, gradually over the time of my ride, my legs start to, sort of sting, like cramp I guess, sort of pain, can;t explain it, if I stop, it goes away, but will start some time after setting off again.