Recovery time from hard rides?

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    The foundation of a good recovery drink is protein. So it seems that taking it POST-exercise will be helpful.

Nevertheless - if you make sure you protein levels are topped up each day, then you will see benefits to your training, regardless of when you take it.
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    Yep it's about how hard you go.If i go hard for 70miles then the next do i can still ride the same distance but for the first 10-20miles i feel sluggish,sore legs etc.Where as if i do an easy 70miles when i ride the next day i feel ok.Unless your competeing in events over 25miles i would forget about your average speed over longer distances as trying to keep the average high on all your long rides is knackering you out.If you keep your high intentsity workouts short&punchy&your long rides slighlty less taxing ultimatly you'll go faster in shorter TTs when you do them.As others have said diet plays a very important part in recovery.You need to do some joined up thinking so you can carry on doing the long rides you love but not to detriment of your long term health.I'm lucky as i live right on the coast during the summer i have an allmost unlimited supply of fresh Mackeral.Full of good stuff,great for after rides&breakfast..mmmm!
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Maybe there's some science in when you take protein supplements in terms of recovery? Probably best to take it 15-20mins post ride if it's for recovery.

I guess if you want to build muscle then taking it on the morning of a day which includes a heavy workout would do fine.

Essentially, just don't go mental with it 'cos your body won't be able to use it effectively. I'm not sure exactly how much excercise justifies exactly how much protein but i'm sure that sort of info is readily available in the directions for use on your supplement packaging or the internet. I'm personally not qualified so i wouldn't begin to suggest amounts you shoukd be taking.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    edited September 2010
    I think people are in danger of not seeing the forest here. To recover well, you have to

1) Manage your training load. This is absolutely the most important thing.

2) Sleep enough
    3) Eat enough calories (depending on whether you want to lose weight or not)
    4) Eat enough carbohydrate
    5) Eat enough veggies

6) Eat enough protein (you will easily get enough if you consume sufficient calories, even if you think you're eating a carbohydrate rich diet)

7) Stretch, massage

8 ) <random snake oil remedy>
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Common guidelines for people training hard is up to 1.5 g protein per kilogram of body weight, split over the days meals and taken post exercise.
    Think Ruth (Eyles who blogs here) said a tin of tuna in brine gave one meal dose of protein (hope she corrects me if I'm wrong)
    You need a mix of all the amino acids which eggs & meat? do have, and can be gained by mixing beans with rice for veggies. You can do protein shakes - but with the mileage you cover you are probably already eating like a horse and if you eat a balanced diet you shouldnt need extra protein.
    Protein shakes are a good way of boosting protein intake for people on limited calorie intake as natural proteins tend to to be associated with fats (meat, dairy etc) .
    Say you weigh 70 kilos - you'll need at most 105g pure protein - the equivalent to about a halv kilo of meat/fish etc giving you 500-1000 calories depending on source. make up teh rest with some helathy fats and carbs with good nutritional values - pasta is good but it s poor on the trace elements, fibre and vitamin content.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Say you weigh 70 kilos - you'll need at most 105g pure protein - the equivalent to about a halv kilo of meat/fish etc giving you 500-1000 calories depending on source. make up teh rest with some helathy fats and carbs with good nutritional values - pasta is good but it s poor on the trace elements, fibre and vitamin content.
    Yep, but you don't need all your protein from 'good' protein sources, as long as your diet is balanced.

I typically eat 200g of pasta for tea, which gives me ~25g of protein. It's incomplete as far as the amino acid profile goes but it still counts.

I've tried concentrating on the protein aspect of my diet in the past and it's a waste of time as far as recovery goes. Ditto focusing on my diet in minute detail and getting it absolutely perfect but ignoring the fact that I was training too much. Waste of 4 years.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Jeff Jones wrote:
    Yep, but you don't need all your protein from 'good' protein sources, as long as your diet is balanced.

I typically eat 200g of pasta for tea, which gives me ~25g of protein. It's incomplete as far as the amino acid profile goes but it still counts.

I've tried concentrating on the protein aspect of my diet in the past and it's a waste of time as far as recovery goes. Ditto focusing on my diet in minute detail and getting it absolutely perfect but ignoring the fact that I was training too much. Waste of 4 years.

Good points you raised Jeff in thsi & previous post. I think we're sort of saying the same thing in broad terms. Protein quantity & quality wont make up for too much training or too little sleep. Calories in (however many ) need to be good nutrition - not just calories - tho' - one sided consumption of protein powders, boiled to death pasta, beer, kebab & chips ( or even carrots) etc wont keep you healthy even if it keeps you full :)
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Well if I am going to ride on a particular day, I will take 25g of protein with some food in the morning, and 25g after the ride.

I have to say that I'm rarely going out with stiff legs, I always make sure my legs are mostly recovered before going out, I thought going out with aching legs was bad.
  • Pokerface
    So a diet of baked beans and Mars Bars isn't the right sort of calories? 8)
  • bisoner
    bisoner Posts: 171
    Pre ride, I will always have a good breakfast/meal and if I am organised, I will take on a protein milkshake with the meal. Just before the ride, I will usually eat a banana or take on some dried fruit and nuts.

Post ride, I drink a protein milkshake straight away. Drink plenty of water and also take on some food (I like cereals) within an hour of getting off the bike. Milkshake usually taken within 30 minutes of getting off the bike.

I have found that as my fitness improves, so does my recovery time. On Monday night I did a really hard turbo session and then still managed a fast 20 mile ride on Tuesday lunchtime (this would have been impossible last year). I took Wednesday off but have just been out on another fast 20 mile lunchtime ride.

Whilst diet is important, general fitness in my case has improved my recovery time.
  • freehub
    If I fine I'm getting hungry between meals and at night is cereal an ok thing to eat?
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    freehub wrote:
    If I fine I'm getting hungry between meals and at night is cereal an ok thing to eat?

They aren't always a good choice because they can be full of salt and/or sugar but that depends on the cereal. I personally like Alpen no added sugar (blue pack) and natural low fat yogurt and sometimes I will add a bit of honey but mostly don't bother. It's a good mix of carbs and protein with little fat.
  • freehub
    I would choose weetabix if that's decent? I like to have a bowl with 5 or 6 of em in though.
  • Pokerface
    freehub wrote:
    I would choose weetabix if that's decent? I like to have a bowl with 5 or 6 of em in though.

6 Weetabix is 380 calories. That's before adding milk. It's not a bad 'snack' but those calories can add up if you're not careful.
  • freehub wrote:
    FFS
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    freehub wrote:

Or if you buy whey protein, protein shakes and a banana?
  • freehub wrote:
    Typing it into the price matcher brings up no results.

So how am I gonna use this protein stuff, every day or just after a ride? And will it actually make a difference?

www.bulkpowders.co.uk works, although it looks like since last time i ordered prices have increased. Still can get 5kg for £40 or so. And it lasts me over 3 months with having 30grams in a recovery shake after each ride (mixed with nesquik and milk)
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Im with Jeff on this one. I would eat protein supplements if I was bodybuilding or chiefly doing anaerobic exercises. To sustain your muscle mass your average diet should be enough unless your putting yourself in a catabolic state.

If you regularly experience D.O.M.S then eating adequate amounts of protein is what you focus on. For a cyclist typically you dont want to put excess muscle mass on unless say you were a track sprinter.

I reckon Will is probably pushing himself too far not allowing enough recovery combined with a poor diet.

If he rests properly and eats smarter then I dont think protein supplements will be needed in the longer term.
  • freehub
    Garz wrote:
    Im with Jeff on this one. I would eat protein supplements if I was bodybuilding or chiefly doing anaerobic exercises. To sustain your muscle mass your average diet should be enough unless your putting yourself in a catabolic state.

If you regularly experience D.O.M.S then eating adequate amounts of protein is what you focus on. For a cyclist typically you dont want to put excess muscle mass on unless say you were a track sprinter.

I reckon Will is probably pushing himself too far not allowing enough recovery combined with a poor diet.

If he rests properly and eats smarter then I dont think protein supplements will be needed in the longer term.

I have more recovery than you'd think.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    freehub wrote:

I have more recovery than you'd think.

It should read "I think I recover more than I actually do"
    freehub wrote:
    Well last week I did 360 miles, happens to all have an average of 19.2 according to the Garmin.

Usually I do 200-250 average a week and have being since I first started cycling, average weekly distance, on my own is around 50-60 miles, try to get in a couple thousand ft of climbing in those rides now, then I might go out do 35 miles and another maybe 25-30. Then at the weekend the club ride on Saturday is between 110 miles and 140 usually with 2 proper long rides a year (165 and 175 allthough I made the 165 181 this year)

Apart from that I rest, I reckon I have more rest than alot of people. I'm getting around 10-12 hours of sleep a day atm too, I'd like to sleep less but my body does not like waking up after 8.

Amongst the rest of this thread your information provided to me clearly identifies someone who is trying hard and not resting enough. Get a clear break like two weeks rest then start from the beginning using a full tank of reserves slowly training smarter with the suggestions the guys have all input.
  • freehub
    edited September 2010
    Last year, and this year both 175 mile rides I did required 2 days full rest after.

I will be resting totally off the bike Sunday and Monday. When I go back to Manchetser, my miles will be less, but probably slightly lower intensity or perhaps higher, depends what is instore for me. Sort like, 60 on sat/sun, mon rest, 30 tue/wed/thur, fri rest.

I have ridden monday, wednesday, thursday, today and will tomoz. All apart from yesterday was steadier miles with me not pushing, yesterday was a ride I was pushing on. Today I did 17 miles very steady literally just spinning.

Anyway, lets not get into an argument again...

I've got this whey protein now, but I never thought about measuring it, how many teaspoon of it would equate to 25g? I thought if I put it in some hot milk it'd mix, but it just clumped. I guess I can have it in a yoghurt and as mentioned porridge.

Could I not just fill up cup with abit of water, put it in, try mix it well and just neck it back?

Does it need to be really used at the same time as eating a meal to help it get into your system?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    freehub wrote:
    Last year, and this year both 175 mile rides I did required 2 days full rest after.

I have ridden monday, wednesday, thursday, today and will tomoz. All apart from yesterday was steadier miles with me not pushing, yesterday was a ride I was pushing on. Today I did 17 miles very steady literally just spinning.

Anyway, lets not get into an argument again...

I've got this whey protein now, but I never thought about measuring it, how many teaspoon of it would equate to 25g? I thought if I put it in some hot milk it'd mix, but it just clumped. I guess I can have it in a yoghurt and as mentioned porridge.

Could I not just fill up cup with abit of water, put it in, try mix it well and just neck it back?

Does it need to be really used at the same time as eating a meal to help it get into your system?

Are there no scales there?

I use a dedicated shaker to mix mine with water, the sieve bit at the top breaks it up and stops it clumping.

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/products/myp ... ter_shaker

I have one with my porridge (as a drink, separately though) and with a banana or raisins straight after a ride...
  • freehub
    No scales.
  • Anonymous
    Eeeeh, the things I do for you!

Just weighed it out in teaspoons, one heaped (not heaped as in 'how much can I get on the spoon? because it all sticks together, but heaped like you'd get sugar) teaspoon is 5g.
  • doyler78
    freehub wrote:
    No scales.

1tsp ~ 5g
    1dspn ~10g
    1Tbspn ~15g

All level meaures ie not heaped.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    A student flat always has scales!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Anonymous
    a_n_t wrote:

That's what I thought...

Doyler, your protein is twice the weight of mine!
  • doyler78
    NapoleonD wrote:
    a_n_t wrote:

That's what I thought...

Doyler, your protein is twice the weight of mine!

I didn't weigh any. I was just going of standard cooking weights so protein is obviously less dense than most dry ingredients. That's why they needs the size of tubs they do :lol:
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Perhaps you should buy some protein powder that actually has a proper scoop included ;) damn sight easier. :lol:

As NapD has said those that use powder, generally have a proper shaker to mix the powder with water, otherwise it is a fork and lots of stirring.
  • freehub
    So about 3.5 teaspoons?