1202122232426»

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    dougzz wrote:
    So why wouldn't people take a little pleasure in his downfall, should it take place.

So you're going to sit back with a big "Ahhhhhhh, that felt good" if or when he, or anyone, gets "done"??? Seems, at the very least, a bit creepy to me.

Why on earth would it be creepy to take a small amount of pleasure (I'll hardly be popping champagne corks or organising a party) in seeing those that have damaged the sport we love pay for what they've done?

Well, there are levels of creepy. Kinda creepy, creepy, and really creepy.
    Let's take, as an example, one of the more prolific Lance haters on this forum. No names but here's a hint. The chart. Now IF, and it's a big IF, this person is really serious about all the anti LA stuff he has posted, AND NOT just playing around(i.e. troll), then I find that really creepy. Sort of stalker type stuff. It's creepy, really creepy to be that obsessed about someone. Now, I'm somewhat obsessed with wanting to know why all the hatred and that makes me think of myself as a bit creepy. That's why the "creepy" comment.
    Rest assured Dennisn.... you are creepy.

Glad to hear it. It's with a bit of pride that my nieces and nephews refer to me as creepy
    Uncle Dennis.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    andyp wrote:
    $1.5 million in bonus payments for Armstrong from the 2001 Tour alone. That's quite some fraud he may have perpertrated, eh?

I'm sure 2nd place Ulrich felt really hard done by...

;-)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    sampras38 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    $1.5 million in bonus payments for Armstrong from the 2001 Tour alone. That's quite some fraud he may have perpertrated, eh?

I'm sure 2nd place Ulrich felt really hard done by...

;-)

Grr.

Tax the bonus! Make them get it deferred!

No more city...I mean, cycling bonuses!!
  • http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... trong.html

LA could ride in the Tour of California. Likelihood? No idea.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917

Doesn't really matter anyhoo. He'd probably just pootle around and sit in the main pack for the whole race waving at the crowd as he went by. Certainly won't be competitive.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball ... Stories%29

Didn't want to start a thread for a non cycling story, but this has parallels to Armstrong.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    dougzz wrote:

yeah, there is syringe and stuff used in doping Clemens which is material evidence. Is that one of the parallels to Armstrong's case?
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I really just meant a broader dimension. Clemons was pretty much an 'All American Hero' type, pitched for the Red Sox and Yankees, and was a cert for the hall of fame. Evidence against him came from amongst others a close friend, the former Yankees pitcher Andy Pettite, who didn't really want to testify, and admitted doping himself. As the story says, the trial will test Clemons legacy as much as the criminal charges. I don't think it's such a stretch to see parallels to Armstrong beyond an obvious response about doping. :)
    Baseball is many ways has similarities to cycling, it's very individual with a team concept, and is also is facing up (or not facing up depending on your view) to years of sterioid abuse that makes the historical records lack valid comparison.
  • lifeform
    lifeform Posts: 126
    dougzz wrote:
    Baseball is many ways has similarities to cycling, it's very individual with a team concept, and is also is facing up (or not facing up depending on your view) to years of sterioid abuse that makes the historical records lack valid comparison.

Yes, but American Rounders is also a good ol' institution with some serious Old Money behind it, even moreso than American Rugby.

So it will be vaguely interesting to see how the Americans deal with it - doping on a load of cyclists from places in Ooorop most Merkins have never heard of, against doping against all time hall of famer undisputed world champion in a game which is played almost exclusively in the US.

Consequently I think it'll be very polarized - either it'll be completely whitewashed and never mentioned again, or he'll metaphorically hung, drawn and quartered.
  • dave_1
    dougzz wrote:
    I really just meant a broader dimension. Clemons was pretty much an 'All American Hero' type, pitched for the Red Sox and Yankees, and was a cert for the hall of fame. Evidence against him came from amongst others a close friend, the former Yankees pitcher Andy Pettite, who didn't really want to testify, and admitted doping himself. As the story says, the trial will test Clemons legacy as much as the criminal charges. I don't think it's such a stretch to see parallels to Armstrong beyond an obvious response about doping. :)

I wonder if they'd have taken the Clemens case forward if they had not had the DNA tainted doping syringe??. But I see what you mean re the friend...Hincapie will save his own bacon when or if it comes to that.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,559
    Hincapie, seems likely Vaughters as well.

For DNA tainted syringe you might be able to read paper trail of accounts.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • dave_1
    Hincapie, seems likely Vaughters as well.

For DNA tainted syringe you might be able to read paper trail of accounts.

paper trails but vague what money was for. Grand juries may not go for vague stuff. DNA matched doping syringes yes. Hincapie and JV are two whose bona fides we need not doubt, but the other two, definitely won't do LA
  • The master-manipulator that Armstrong is, I have an expectation that somehow, even if he gets nailed for this, he'll end up turning it around (sooner, or if not, later) and ultimately working it to his advantage in some way.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    The master-manipulator that Armstrong is, I have an expectation that somehow, even if he gets nailed for this, he'll end up turning it around (sooner, or if not, later) and ultimately working it to his advantage in some way.

I agree. It's sort of human nature to get yourself back in the good graces of people after you've had "problems". I think most everyone would, at the very least, try to redeem themselves.
  • BarryBonds
    BarryBonds Posts: 344
    dennisn wrote:
    The master-manipulator that Armstrong is, I have an expectation that somehow, even if he gets nailed for this, he'll end up turning it around (sooner, or if not, later) and ultimately working it to his advantage in some way.

I agree. It's sort of human nature to get yourself back in the good graces of people after you've had "problems". I think most everyone would, at the very least, try to redeem themselves.

Ive only met him 3 times and we never had a beer so i cant comment
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Just reading this on twitter,,
    @TJQuinnESPN: Recent news, of course, is Armstrong expected to be indicted for fraud, conspiracy related to PEDs
    cartoon.jpg
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Doobz wrote:
    Just reading this on twitter,,
    @TJQuinnESPN: Recent news, of course, is Armstrong expected to be indicted for fraud, conspiracy related to PEDs

Interesting, wonder if that means they know charges are iminent, or is this just a post one year too late
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    A rather good interview with Landis:

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/ne ... h/25954415
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    A rather good interview with Landis:

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/ne ... h/25954415

Cheers for linking that.
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    It would be a very good thing for pro cycling (and cycling in general) if Armstrong would go away and retire completely- whether he doped or not. Of course if now convicted he will be obliged to do that under UCI rules. Pro cycling didn't need him to make his comeback; the future is ahead, not behind and his era is well and truly behind.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    mz__jo wrote:
    ... the future is ahead, not behind and his era is well and truly behind.
    When the like of Bruyneel, Riis, McQuaid and Verbruggen are still involved in the sport, his era is far from over.
  • mz__jo wrote:
    When the like of Bruyneel, Riis, McQuaid and Verbruggen are still involved in the sport, his era is far from over.

Well said, it is the truth.

Only last year I sold Lance a painting...I took it to his place in Austin and met him for the first time...

He said that he would pay for the work within the week...three months later he still hadn't stumped up...so I can with legitimacy say that I have had a legal tangle with him myself. It was crystal clear though, there was no way out of it for him, he had signed the papers taking ownership, and title had not passed as he hadn't paid...

Pattern recognition??
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    mz__jo wrote:

Well said, it is the truth.

Only last year I sold Lance a painting...I took it to his place in Austin and met him for the first time...

He said that he would pay for the work within the week...three months later he still hadn't stumped up...so I can with legitimacy say that I have had a legal tangle with him myself. It was crystal clear though, there was no way out of it for him, he had signed the papers taking ownership, and title had not passed as he hadn't paid...

Pattern recognition??
    You best get your money ahead of the lawyers :lol:
  • Seanos
    Seanos Posts: 301
    I donated sperm for Lance but it's all hush hush and I can't tell anyone about it. Anyway, I went over to his house in Aspen and did the business into a paper cup and thought no more about it, he said he'd send me $50 by Paypal. 3 months later I was still waiting. In the end I had to threaten him with the small claims court and it was only then that he sent me the cash.

So yeah, definitely a pattern emerging here.
  • Seanos wrote:
    I donated sperm for Lance but it's all hush hush and I can't tell anyone about it. Anyway, I went over to his house in Aspen and did the business into a paper cup and thought no more about it, he said he'd send me $50 by Paypal. 3 months later I was still waiting. In the end I had to threaten him with the small claims court and it was only then that he sent me the cash.

Did he pay the 3% Paypal Fee? I wager that he did not...
  • Seanos
    Seanos Posts: 301
    Seanos wrote:

Did he pay the 3% Paypal Fee? I wager that he did not...
    Now you mention it, no he didn't. But luckily I didn't really need it by this time as my dad died and he invented marmalade and I get the royalties. Now I live in the BT tower and travel to work in a gyrocopter and I have a bike made out of special NASA space metal that can go all invisible.

[/Aldridge Prior]