NY Times - Cyclists are said to back claims Armstrong doped

Comments

• SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Steph's GJ testimony was 7 hours.

Barry Bonds was 2.5.

Wonder how she filled the time out after say "nah, didn't hear anything"?

You know what women are like. They drone on and on about all sorts of nonsense.

"You know what happened, you don't need me to tell you"
  • Article portraying LA in a more positive light with views by other riders.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... =D9IJ1D9O0
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I notice some more riders from USPS have come forward saying they didn't see anything. Novitsky should quit
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Dave_1 wrote:
    I notice some more riders from USPS have come forward saying they didn't see anything. Novitsky should quit

Dave, are the carpets in your house all lumpy?
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    I assume Peter Meinert-Nielsen didn't see anything at TVM and Telekom either :lol:

"Although he also adds that if there was any doping then he wouldn't have been privy to it "because I wasn't with him, I didn't share a room with him.""

Journalist interviews cronies and riders with 'superficial' contact, both say they saw nothing - quelle surprise :wink:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Dave_1 wrote:

People who can't be called to testify you mean?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    dougzz wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Dave, are the carpets in your house all lumpy?

:D:D:D

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • ratsbeyfus
    Dave_1 wrote:

These same riders probably didn't see Landis, Hamilton, Andreau, Heras, etc dope during their time on the team... some are privy to it, some aren't. Novitsky should keep going.

@ratsbey
  • dougzz
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

These same riders probably didn't see Landis, Hamilton, Andreau, Heras, etc dope during their time on the team... some are privy to it, some aren't. Novitsky should keep going.

I was just thinking about this, and trying to be honest I thought

1. Yes they should, LA should have to answer for his deeds.
    2. But if I was an American tax payer I'd think not, I'm pretty sure of that.

It's like the MP expenses stuff. I bet in the long run the investigations and new procedures will cost the tax payer a lot more than was previously pilfered. But I guess doing right has a price ;)
  • ratsbeyfus
    The thing with the taxpayers argument is that if LA would just 'fess up he'd save the taxman a fortune! :D If I was an american tax payer that's what would pee me off.

@ratsbey
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    dougzz wrote:
    It's like the MP expenses stuff. I bet in the long run the investigations and new procedures will cost the tax payer a lot more than was previously pilfered. But I guess doing right has a price ;)
    If the American legal system allows for the confiscation of the proceeds of crime, the taxpayer could be in for quite a windfall. :wink:
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    dougzz wrote:
    I was just thinking about this, and trying to be honest I thought

1. Yes they should, LA should have to answer for his deeds.
    2. But if I was an American tax payer I'd think not, I'm pretty sure of that.

I've never really understood this argument, Novitzky is a federal employee so even if this investigation is halted, the US taxpayer will still be paying his wages.
  • dougzz
    andyp wrote:
    I've never really understood this argument, Novitzky is a federal employee so even if this investigation is halted, the US taxpayer will still be paying his wages.

This is rather a tangent, but obviously that's a fixed cost. However the incidental costs the investigation will be incurring will make it have a real cost over and above his salary. If only criminals would stop crime we could save a fortune in legal costs ;)
  • Speaking of the NY Times, latest article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/30/sport ... .html?_r=1
  • ratsbeyfus
    Great opportunity for LA to prove he hasn't taken any transfusions... surely he'll be begging the authorities to retro-actively test his frozen pee to show that there are no plastisizers in there:

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5931/Plasticizer-test-could-have-consequences-for-2010-Tour-and-US-Postal-doping-enquiry.aspx

Faced with the prospect of the plasticizer test being run on Armstrong’s past samples, his spokesman Mark Fabiani said they were not worried. “We have no concerns at all about it,” he stated.

Oh dear... everyone in the LA fan-van is too tranquilo to notice that they could really get one over Novitsky's lot with these new tests.

Sigh.

@ratsbey
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    dougzz wrote:
    andyp wrote:

This is rather a tangent, but obviously that's a fixed cost. However the incidental costs the investigation will be incurring will make it have a real cost over and above his salary. If only criminals would stop crime we could save a fortune in legal costs ;)

It could happen that some journalist would look into the expences of all this and find
    some really high numbers, publish his results, and possibly the public will be "outraged"
    (to quote a way too often used word) at all their money being spent on this. I'm sure this Novitsky is under some pressure, from above, to keep expences down and avoid bad press. Perhaps the LA camp can use this to their advantage. Knowing the American public's dislike for wasteful spending or what they consider wasteful.
  • dougzz
    dennisn wrote:

It could happen that some journalist would look into the expences of all this and find
    some really high numbers, publish his results, and possibly the public will be "outraged"
    (to quote a way too often used word) at all their money being spent on this. I'm sure this Novitsky is under some pressure, from above, to keep expences down and avoid bad press. Perhaps the LA camp can use this to their advantage. Knowing the American public's dislike for wasteful spending or what they consider wasteful.

But Dennis, you know what happens. The Journalist sparks an investigation, the government are embarrassed into setting up a body or commission to follow up on it. The report they produce exposes the original cost, but the production of the report costs more than the original investigation ever cost. The circle continues :twisted:

As you've frequently said, lawyers get rich
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    dougzz wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

But Dennis, you know what happens. The Journalist sparks an investigation, the government are embarrassed into setting up a body or commission to follow up on it. The report they produce exposes the original cost, but the production of the report costs more than the original investigation ever cost. The circle continues :twisted:

As you've frequently said, lawyers get rich

Can't argue with that. 100% true.
  • ratsbeyfus
    Time to ressurrect this old-skool doping thread.
    At twenty past midday on September 3rd 2003, federal agent Jeff Novitzky’s 6’6” silhouette loomed in the doorway of the Bay Area Co-operative Laboratory (BALCO) on the San Francisco peninsula, and with it the shape of a new, altogether more daunting threat than doping athletes cheats had ever faced before.

No, it's not a Mills and Boon intro., but a fluff piece about Novitsky:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/lance-armstrongs-new-nemesis-federal-agent-jeff-novitzky

@ratsbey
  • iainf72
    Big Jeff in Europe.

I wonder who he wants to "speak with" as they say in the US.
  • ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Time to ressurrect this old-skool doping thread.
    At twenty past midday on September 3rd 2003, federal agent Jeff Novitzky’s 6’6” silhouette loomed in the doorway of the Bay Area Co-operative Laboratory (BALCO) on the San Francisco peninsula, and with it the shape of a new, altogether more daunting threat than doping athletes cheats had ever faced before.

No, it's not a Mills and Boon intro., but a fluff piece about Novitsky:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/lance-armstrongs-new-nemesis-federal-agent-jeff-novitzky
    It was early and pre-coffee when I read this bit this morning.
    Somehow my befuzzled brain read 'silhouette' as 'Stilettos' and a whole different and rather disturbing picture sprang into my mind.
    Can I upgrade???
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,559
    meggiedude wrote:
    It was early and pre-coffee when I read this bit this morning.
    Somehow my befuzzled brain read 'silhouette' as 'Stilettos' and a whole different and rather disturbing picture sprang into my mind.

Previously I had the image of Novitsky as some sort of cross between Terminator and Robocop (LA - Ten seconds to comply). Now I have the same image but he's wearing high heels and fishnets. I'm likely to have difficulty sleeping tonight.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Previously I had the image of Novitsky as some sort of cross between Terminator and Robocop (LA - Ten seconds to comply). Now I have the same image but he's wearing high heels and fishnets. I'm likely to have difficulty sleeping tonight.

It's traditional clothing for the Feds. He's just taking after J Edgar Hoover.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,559
    RichN95 wrote:

It's traditional clothing for the Feds. He's just taking after J Edgar Hoover.

Men in black....

The word "probe" in connection with the Novitsky investigation now causes me to break out in a cold sweat.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • iainf72
    Looks like Jeff is calling non-Americans too

http://www.supersport.com/cycling/inter ... ping_probe?
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    iainf72 wrote:
    Looks like Jeff is calling non-Americans too

http://www.supersport.com/cycling/inter ... ping_probe?

Be interesting what they get out of Popo. His whole career is tied in with LA and JB so can't see him wanting to bite the hand that feeds it.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Popovych Knows Nothing ?????

What a shocker there eh - I mean he hardly knows fanboystrong.

Is the pope a catholic etc etc
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Dumb question, but IF a non-American rider testified to the Grand Jury, told them there are 30 days in February, and then left the USA planning never to return, and they later discovered that there have never been 30 days in February, what jurisdiction does the US of A have over that rider?

id est, could they be dragged by their local constabulary to the local airport and flown to the States against their will?
  • Stu T
    Stu T Posts: 127
    Tusher wrote:
    Dumb question, but IF a non-American rider testified to the Grand Jury, told them there are 30 days in February, and then left the USA planning never to return, and they later discovered that there have never been 30 days in February, what jurisdiction does the US of A have over that rider?

id est, could they be dragged by their local constabulary to the local airport and flown to the States against their will?

if in the UK then yes
    I wear Lycra because I like the way it feels