New bike dilemma

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Hate to drag this thread away from you DDD but ....

What's the general consensus on Mavic open pro ceramic rims, worth the extra dosh?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Taking my time with this build mostly because I'm afraid of breaking the carbon

4911193208_38025876fb_z.jpg
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    New bars arrived this morning, ordered yesterday from Planet-X awesome 3T carbon lovely, however my credit card bill also arrived.

FARK!!!

:?
  • itboffin
    Erm i'm not sure how far to wrap these bars, any suggestions?

It's hard to see from this picture but they have a flat palm section across the tops.

4912665401_d7d58fd323_z.jpg
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    This is a stupid question but please bear with me.

That bit sticking up out of your frame's head tube which such looks like a pipe, what is it?

Any time I see a 'frame and forks' for sale I never see that bit

Like here

J0108.jpg

I can't get my head round how that area of the bike is assembled. Presumably this bit is attached to the forks. Do you still have to fit a 'headset'? If so how?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    This is a stupid question but please bear with me.

That bit sticking up out of your frame's head tube which such looks like a pipe, what is it?

The fork steerer tube - uncut and long enough to fit the largest frame size with plenty of spacers.

ITB will need to be making with the hacksaw shortly.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    The 'pipe' in ITB's photo is the steerer for the fork. In the kinesis pic it has been photoshopped out.

An integrated/external headset is required. The steerer passes through it, you stack spacers onto the headset to the required height and then clamp the stem onto the steerer. The steerer is then cut off to the correct height and an expanding bung/star-fangled nut goes in the top.

All described here (i think):
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=65
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    Ja wot they said
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    itboffin wrote:

You do have a torque wrench, I hope? Still worth taking your time though!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Even more dumb question, but what does a headset do?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    DonDaddyD wrote:

It connects fork to frame, allowing the fork to rotate but holding it in place.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • rolf_f
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Or, to put it another way, the headset effectively does for the forks and frame the same thing as the bottom bracket does for the cranks and frame.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,702
    StuAff wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

You do have a torque wrench, I hope? Still worth taking your time though!

+1

Please tell me you have a torque wrench.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • itboffin
    Not yet :oops:
  • rolf_f
    itboffin wrote:
    Not yet :oops:

I recall reading somewhere that when people are tested on how tight to tighten bolts (without torque wrenches obv!), the small ones they drastically overtighten and the large ones they undertighten.

So, basically, the low torque bolts are where you cracked the frame and the large torque bolts are the ones that will come undone when you are descending at 50mph.

Get yourself a nice BBB torque wrench - only £50 or so! :wink:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Rolf F wrote:
    I've got one of these. It's ace.

I can also recommend some of this:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Finis ... 360038013/
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    JonGinge wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    I've got one of these. It's ace.

I can also recommend some of this:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Finis ... 360038013/

Yes it's on the list also

BTW Have you seen the 2011 Deda stem/handlebar range comes in black & white
  • itboffin wrote:
    Ja wot they said

Gonna cut the steerer yourself? That's the one job I still delegate to the LBS.

I used to say the same of fitting a headset. Then I realised wood and a hammer work fine.

What sort of bung/starnut arrangment does the steerer tube take?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,702
    I think you can get a cutting guide - it clamps on to the steerer with a hacksaw-sized slot - but by the time you've found one it's probably easier to go to the LBS.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • itboffin
    Greg66 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Ja wot they said

Gonna cut the steerer yourself? That's the one job I still delegate to the LBS.

I used to say the same of fitting a headset. Then I realised wood and a hammer work fine.

What sort of bung/starnut arrangment does the steerer tube take?

LBS will be cutting the steerer and fitting my new record hesdset at the same time, full carbon forks need an expander plug rather than the usual star nut but I thought i'd use a hope head doctor for this build.
  • tailwindhome
    Are we there yet?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Are we there yet?
  • itboffin
    Nope epic fail actually, I have all the parts and a shiny new torque wrench but I've found several key problems with the build.

1. I don't want to force the crown race on the full carbon forks, LBS job me thinks
    2. I don't trust the torque wrench/me
    3. I can't get at the impossibly stupid placed hex screw on the shifters that holds the band and don't want to peel the hoods off.
    4. I don't have the UT crankset tool
    5. My fork bung has a rounded off screw from my last bike build attempt

hrump!!

:x
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    itboffin wrote:

3. I can't get at the impossibly stupid placed hex screw on the shifters that holds the band and don't want to peel the hoods off.

You need a Torq key - one of the star headed ones. Using a regular Allen key will thread it in no time.
  • itboffin
    MatHammond wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

You need a Torq key - one of the star headed ones. Using a regular Allen key will thread it in no time.

Yah I know that, duh! :P

Solved that one now, pulled the hoods off grrrr
  • itboffin
    This is how far i've gotten

4935167990_85d504063b_z.jpg
  • bigmat
    itboffin wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Yah I know that, duh! :P

Solved that one now, pulled the hoods off grrrr

It took me a while to figure out when I fitted mine!
  • itboffin
    This build is proving more problematic than my last 9 or 10 bikes

Where do i set the shifters on these aero bars?

4935243650_3c81e91eec_z.jpg

4934649425_3221a833a9_z.jpg

4935242508_c7c1991263_z.jpg
  • bigmat
    I'd normally have the end of an ergonomic bar level, or pointing slightly downwards. Guess with shaped tops you need to make sure they feel right as well though...
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I'm with Matt - looking at the angle between the hoods and the top, I'd say they look right, but then looking down to the drops, I'd say they should be flat or very nearly flat at the bottom - they're pointing too far down for me.

Obviously if you rotate them to flat, the levers will need to shift down and round the loop on the bar a bit more, to get that nice run off the flat part that you've currently got.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...