New bike dilemma

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,702
    itboffin wrote:
    TWH, that paint scheme is hella ugly.

ITB, stop messing about with £400 frames and buy a superbike. You know you want to. Buns is spot on.

So this is my theory, I have a habit of crashing and breaking bikes I'm also a serial over-tightener therefore I figure if I buy a decent groupset and wheelset and sit it on a cheap carbon frame then when I have that crash I won't be in tears at the loss just the pain of whatever I've broken or torn this time.

Makes sense no?

Oh and LIT people with orange bikes can NOT give style advise :lol:

Is that not a bit 'flashy alloys on a Vauxhall Corsa' - i.e. nice wheels, but it's still a Corsa. For something completely different, how about an Enigma? If you fancy stainless steel frame, there's the Extensor, or any of their other Ti frames as TWH suggests.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:
    @LiT: Eh? have you looked at your Viner recently? I'd say that Kinesis is quite restrained in comparison. Eye of the beholder an' all that though.

Horses for courses.

I look at that kinesis and think 'ugh, drab school gym bags, the mid-90s'. I look at my viner and think 'oooh pretty'.

It's not a matter of restraint, I just don't like the Kinesis' colours, the design, the font, anything in fact!

Now that you mention it, it is a bit '90s - too much writing. I quite like the current Condor colour schemes - nice and minimal, with just a dash of colour to liven it up. I also like the yellow lining to forks and stays of the otherwise all-black Boardmans for similar reasons.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    @LiT: Eh? have you looked at your Viner recently? I'd say that Kinesis is quite restrained in comparison. Eye of the beholder an' all that though.

Horses for courses.

I look at that kinesis and think 'ugh, drab school gym bags, the mid-90s'. I look at my viner and think 'oooh pretty'.

It's not a matter of restraint, I just don't like the Kinesis' colours, the design, the font, anything in fact!

Now that you mention it, it is a bit '90s - too much writing. I quite like the current Condor colour schemes - nice and minimal, with just a dash of colour to liven it up. I also like the yellow lining to forks and stays of the otherwise all-black Boardmans for similar reasons.

I haven't really seen the Condor schemes, and their site is down, but I do like the Boardmans - apart from my bike snob side which is shouting 'ugh but they're so HALFORDS daaaaaahling'. :)
  • rjsterry
    MatHammond wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    Hang on, you need opposable thumbs for campgnolo shifters, whereas you can operate shimano with any hoof or paw

You can shift up and down / front and rear from the drops with Campag, you can also shift up the sprocket riding on the tops with your right hand little finger which I don't think you can do with Shimano. You can also shift up and down several sprockets at a time.

I tend to hold the drops quite low down (none of that compact low-drop nonsense), so I don't think it's anatomically possible for me to even reach the little side toggle on Campy shifters from there. I can shift down up to three sprockets at a time, but I've never found the need to shift up that many - you'd have to be spinning like a ... spinny thing to start with.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Horses for courses.

I haven't really seen the Condor schemes, and their site is down, but I do like the Boardmans - apart from my bike snob side which is shouting 'ugh but they're so HALFORDS daaaaaahling'. :)

The Halfords in Putney also (at least used to) sell some high end Van Nicholas and Condor bikes. Quite who would blow £4K at Halfords I don't know. Plus, you can buy Boardmans direct I believe.

EDIT: http://www.flickr.com/photos/condorcycles/4818028320/
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Comtat bikes are well sexy. Just putting that out there. 8)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Right, first off, on my bikes I have Shimano Tiagra and RSX shifters, both work splendidly. I never have to adjust anything. I've never ridden a Campy bike so what I say is based purely on what I read/have seen.

Campagnolo shifters contain 2-3 times fewer parts than their Shimano counterparts. If they do go wrong (and I'm led to believe this is slightly more likely than with Shimano), you have a hope of getting them fixed locally. With Shimano, all you can do is send them back to the mother-ship and hope they're still within warranty.

I had to fix my RSX shifters myself when they failed, it was possible. I'm pretty sure it's completely impossible with the more modern Shimano ones.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBP ... ed-edition

Edit: upgrade the wheels to the DA option, that's a steal
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    Right, first off, on my bikes I have Shimano Tiagra and RSX shifters, both work splendidly. I never have to adjust anything. I've never ridden a Campy bike so what I say is based purely on what I read/have seen.

Campagnolo shifters contain 2-3 times fewer parts than their Shimano counterparts. If they do go wrong (and I'm led to believe this is slightly more likely than with Shimano), you have a hope of getting them fixed locally. With Shimano, all you can do is send them back to the mother-ship and hope they're still within warranty.

I had to fix my RSX shifters myself when they failed, it was possible. I'm pretty sure it's completely impossible with the more modern Shimano ones.

+1 for RSX. 13 years and still going strong. Just a clean out and re-lube every now and then when they get a bit sticky <finds bit of wood to knock on nervously> [oldfart] They don't make 'em like that any more [/oldfart]
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    rjsterry wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    Hang on, you need opposable thumbs for campgnolo shifters, whereas you can operate shimano with any hoof or paw

You can shift up and down / front and rear from the drops with Campag, you can also shift up the sprocket riding on the tops with your right hand little finger which I don't think you can do with Shimano. You can also shift up and down several sprockets at a time.

I tend to hold the drops quite low down (none of that compact low-drop nonsense), so I don't think it's anatomically possible for me to even reach the little side toggle on Campy shifters from there. I can shift down up to three sprockets at a time, but I've never found the need to shift up that many - you'd have to be spinning like a ... spinny thing to start with.

That's true, hands need to be in "covering the brakes" position on the drops, but we're talking a shift of a couple of inches really. Shifting up more than a gear at a time is handy when cresting a steep hill and starting a descent, say, but I gues its something people can live without otherwise Shimano would be out of business!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Horses for courses.

You've both ruined it for me now

Thanks a bunch
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    itboffin wrote:
    ... stop messing about with £400 frames and buy a superbike. You know you want to. Buns is spot on.
    Why, thank you Ma'am.
    So this is my theory, I have a habit of crashing and breaking bikes I'm also a serial over-tightener therefore I figure if I buy a decent groupset and wheelset and sit it on a cheap carbon frame then when I have that crash I won't be in tears at the loss just the pain of whatever I've broken or torn this time.

Makes sense no?
    No.

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't buy a carbon frame (especially a "cheap" one) until I had, at the very least, test ridden something made of Reynolds 953.

Cheers,
    W.
  • rjsterry
    For example:

http://www.brianrourke.co.uk/rourke-reynolds-953-cycle-frameset-p-245.html

Note the reference to armour plating ITB.

Buns speaks the truth.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    At the end of the day it's all about saving weight the ribble is 960g + 350 ish for the forks that's pretty light, SRAM make the lightest groupset currently but I dont swing that way baby...!

So it's looking more like 6700 just because it has the right look, price and no doubt performance they chorus doesnt come in black or compact, so not cool. 8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Mmm Sexy

telegraphe.jpg

And £1800 with a centaur carbon group, or can I say gruppo if it's Italian?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • msw
    msw Posts: 313
    itboffin wrote:
    I'm also a serial over-tightener therefore I figure if I buy a decent groupset and wheelset and sit it on a cheap carbon frame then when I have that crash I won't be in tears at the loss just the pain of whatever I've broken or torn this time.

Makes sense no?

If you're a serial overtightener (I am too) then aren't you going to knacker the posh groupset anyway?
    "We're not holding up traffic. We are traffic."
  • msw wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    I'm also a serial over-tightener therefore I figure if I buy a decent groupset and wheelset and sit it on a cheap carbon frame then when I have that crash I won't be in tears at the loss just the pain of whatever I've broken or torn this time.

Makes sense no?

If you're a serial overtightener (I am too) then aren't you going to knacker the posh groupset anyway?

Or just buy a really good frame and groupset plus a torque wrench or two. :D
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    One of the youngsters turned up for this morning's club ride on one of these

Planet X Superlight

Got chatting to his father who was very complimentary about Planet X's level of customer service and advice.

ETA the photos on the website don't do it justice
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • itboffin
    Yep torque wrench is top of the shopping list :wink:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    itboffin wrote:
    Yep torque wrench is top of the shopping list :wink:
    Top tip from when I bought a torque wrench: they tend to just have a square drive for standard sockets (1/4" or 3/8" IIRC), so it's handy to get an adapter and a set of hex/allen and torx heads (or you'll take your shiny new wrench out of the box, only to realise that you can't adjust anything with it :oops:).
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    One of the youngsters turned up for this morning's club ride on one of these

Planet X Superlight

Got chatting to his father who was very complimentary about Planet X's level of customer service and advice.

ETA the photos on the website don't do it justice
    Argh. Quite tempted by the SRAM Red nano....
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Ti?

@ITB - /\ /\ /\ /\ !!!!!!!!

The manufacturer may also be willing to wrap it in kevlar for you :) .
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I can recommend the Ritchey Torq key, very handy bit of kit, deals with most bolts you'll be tightening / untightening on a regular basis.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    itboffin wrote:
    ITB, why don't you just buy yourself one really bloody brilliant bike and stop faffing around?

I am duh! :lol:

Ribble sportive?

OUCH PWND

I second the high-end steel suggestion. Would kill for a 953 frame - how about this:

http://www.andersoncustombicycles.com/J ... index.html

This is nice too:

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/bike-revie ... /3315.html
  • rjsterry
    biondino wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    ITB, why don't you just buy yourself one really bloody brilliant bike and stop faffing around?

Ribble sportive?

OUCH PWND

I second the high-end steel suggestion. Would kill for a 953 frame - how about this:

This is nice too:

Or a Pegoretti Marcelo?

http://www.mosquito-bikes.co.uk/htdocs/cms_ul/Bike/marcelo.htm?item_id=281

Huh-muh-nuh, Huh-muh-nuh[/url]
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Ribble sportive?

OUCH PWND

This is nice too:

Or a Pegoretti Marcelo?

Finally, someone saw what I meant.

Oh and you and I will never argue over a bike, RJSterry.

:twisted:
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    itboffin wrote:
    At the end of the day it's all about saving weight the ribble is 960g + 350 ish for the forks that's pretty light, SRAM make the lightest groupset currently but I dont swing that way baby...!

So it's looking more like 6700 just because it has the right look, price and no doubt performance they chorus doesnt come in black or compact, so not cool. 8)

Athena's the same sort of money....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    What happened to the Litespeed Archon plans?
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    rjsterry wrote:
    Or a Pegoretti Marcelo?

Read the reviews in the comic & Cycling Active....lovely bit of kit.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • itboffin
    Went and had a look at a couple of 6700 equipped bikes this afternoon my first impressions are yuk what horrid tin & plastic looking rubbish. Gues I have to test performance.

At the moment its very much looking like campy wins again now do I do chorus or centaur?