New bike dilemma

123457»

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    TommyEss wrote:
    I'm with Matt - looking at the angle between the hoods and the top, I'd say they look right, but then looking down to the drops, I'd say they should be flat or very nearly flat at the bottom - they're pointing too far down for me.

Obviously if you rotate them to flat, the levers will need to shift down and round the loop on the bar a bit more, to get that nice run off the flat part that you've currently got.

mkay thanks but i'm not 100% on what you just said, can you elaborate?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Um - simply, rotate the bars down, so the bottom of the drop lies horizontal, or just about.

Then move your ergolevers back round, so they're oriented the same as in the first picture, cos they look about right, but the bars are angled down.

Is that better?

Having said all that - how do they look with the wheels in?

Get the wheels in, THEN get the bottom of the drops horizontal, then get the levers back!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    I would have thought the the flatten palm section of the bars should be level (parallel to the road if you get my meaning) so as to be aerodynamic
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Yeah - but you've got to have the drops useable - I don't think you'll be able to rotate the flattened section at the top enough to create a barn-door effect and still have the drops useable.

I think we need to see it with the wheels in to get the true orientation of the bars - I've got a sneaky feeling having it propped on the sofa is making it a bit skew-wiff.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • itboffin
    Ja no wheels just yet :oops:

They're sort of flat even slightly tilted upwards but still feel wrong, i might go and see the bike whisper again.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,702
    How about fitting a pair of wheels from one of your other bikes, so you can stand over the bike in more or less the position you would ride, then just move the bars and levers to where they feel comfortable. If you have a seatpin and saddle, then even better.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • itboffin
    Tiz finished at last

4954382701_6771a138e3_z.jpg

4954383383_b2eb8fee76_z.jpg

Need to index the gear and do the final fitting but it's ridable and i'm pretty happy, i'll be even happier when the new wheels and bottle cages arrive.
  • Looks good

Is that a cable running down the chain ring side of the seat tube (in the top photo). You sure thats right?

Be sure to come back with a full review, you are going for a long one tomorrow, aren't you?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • itboffin
    Looks good

Is that a cable running down the chain ring side of the seat tube (in the top photo). You sure thats right?

Be sure to come back with a full review, you are going for a long one tomorrow, aren't you?

Thanks and no the cable is on the other side :wink:

Shame about the wheels they're really heavy like 2kg plus the conti hard shells 25/23 590g total plus skewers tubes and tape i'm guessing 3kg :evil: that's basically the weight of the groupset, frame & forks again.
  • itboffin wrote:
    ...no the cable is on the other side :wink:

Ah! Is it the unclipped cable on the front derailleur? That would make more sense.
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:
    ...no the cable is on the other side :wink:

Ah! Is it the unclipped cable on the front derailleur? That would make more sense.

Ja
  • itboffin
    More pics damn it's one good looking bike, it might just live indoors :wink:

4954794459_7ba258b172_z.jpg

4954773935_a02a7ab581_z.jpg

4955365586_77d3bc93e1_z.jpg

4954775185_c4976c9f58_z.jpg
  • rjsterry
    I take it you sorted the headset. The riding position looks pretty comfortable already, especially if you are going to spend the majority of the time slowing ascending Alps.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• itboffin
    Yeh in the end, you know i never noticed how fat my commuter tyres look, still pretty impressed that this frame can take a 25c on the rear.

i'll be running 22 or 20 come final build.

Carbon mmmm still not as good as steel.

PS. Glad you found out what the Mercian is, such a beautiful bike it's going to look amazing when you're finished.

8)
  • rjsterry
    itboffin wrote:
    Yeh in the end, you know i never noticed how fat my commuter tyres look, still pretty impressed that this frame can take a 25c on the rear.

i'll be running 22 or 20 come final build.

Carbon mmmm still not as good as steel.

PS. Glad you found out what the Mercian is, such a beautiful bike it's going to look amazing when you're finished.

8)

I've had an email back from Mercian with a quote for the re-spray, lug lining, transfers and getting the rear dropouts re-tracked to 130mm. Eeek :shock: A bit more than Armourtex that's for sure, but it needs doing properly. Will have to do some saving.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• itboffin
    I'm really pleased you bought that frame from me it's nice to know it's going to get what it deserves and you know whatever you spend the bike is going to be worth 2-3 times that, plus it'll last a life time.
  • itboffin
    New bike is 16.3lbs / 7.4kg currently
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    itboffin wrote:
    New bike is 16.3lbs / 7.4kg currently
    So, sub-7kg possible with new wheels? Noice
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides