New bike dilemma

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    itboffin wrote:
    I hate to be the one to throw this thread wildly back OT but I just had an email from ribble with an extra 10% off campy groupset

Now then it's just a matter of do I go with the gaylord or the nancy?

If you bought Athena, it would forever wind DDD up. :twisted:

But have you seen it up close it looks buggly and the lettering is even uglier, i had the same problem with the Ultegra 6700 it just looked very cheap.

I know i'm very shallow :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    I hate to be the one to throw this thread wildly back OT but I just had an email from ribble with an extra 10% off campy groupset

Now then it's just a matter of do I go with the gaylord or the nancy?

If you bought Athena, it would forever wind DDD up. :twisted:

But have you seen it up close it looks buggly and the lettering is even uglier, i had the same problem with the Ultegra 6700 it just looked very cheap.

I know i'm very shallow :roll:

Buggly? Well, my rear derailleur isn't quite as nice since it got scratched up in my prang the other week...I still don't think it's ugly. And it doesn't work cheap, even if you think it looks it.

You want that Felt with Di2, don't you :lol:
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • itboffin
    Phew what a week this has been, whilst in Jersey I had sudden buyers remorse not something that usually happens to me, anyway I considered cancelling my recently purchased frame from Ribble in favour of the awesome Planet X £1099 deal, this caused me more than a few hours of contemplation, should I could I buy SRAM red? would the nano frame be too flexi for me?

So just to make matters worse I popped into Pedal Power in St Heliers, 30 mins later I almost whipped out my credit card there are then, they only had the very Felt AR model one of you evil peeps had brought to my attention, you know would you are ...!

Not to mention the new Cervelo Castelli team kit which is frankly the most beautiful team kit I've ever seen, things got much worse when not one but two Cervelo S3 came into the store, it was all too much I had to leave before anyone noticed my obvious excitement :P

So to cut a long story short what I'm trying to say is my Ribble frame will be here on Tuesday, I might just stay awake waiting by the door until it does.

:D
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    So, what gruppo are you going for now?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    itboffin wrote:
    Not to mention the new Cervelo Castelli team kit which is frankly the most beautiful team kit I've ever seen

Each to their own, I thought the old kit was better
    So to cut a long story short what I'm trying to say is my Ribble frame will be here on Tuesday,

Why just the frame?

Would a full bike from Ribble not work out cheaper than sourcing seperately?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    itboffin wrote:
    So just to make matters worse I popped into Pedal Power in St Heliers, 30 mins later I almost whipped out my credit card there are then, they only had the very Felt AR model one of you evil peeps had brought to my attention, you know would you are ...!
    mwah-ha-ha-ha

I must admit I was hovering over the buy button when I saw the p-x nano with sram red... then decided that 3 carbon bikes would be overkill... then started looking in the sales for superbikes...

There is no hope :oops:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • stuaff
    JonGinge wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    mwah-ha-ha-ha

I must admit I was hovering over the buy button when I saw the p-x nano with sram red... then decided that 3 carbon bikes would be overkill... then started looking in the sales for superbikes...

There is no hope :oops:

+1. I know, sooner or later, I'll succumb to one of these. The new Mitus 0.4 looks very nice in bare carbon too....Why won't the wrong lottery numbers stop coming up? :)
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've just been looking on the Brian Rourke website, mmmm custom steel.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • stuaff
    prawny wrote:
    The ones I see around always look nice, as did Rob Penn's did on the TV a few weeks back.
  • prawny
    StuAff wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    The ones I see around always look nice, as did Rob Penn's did on the TV a few weeks back.

Yeah, I think I'm going to get one this year or next. They're not too expensive, and just down the road too.

Eye candy, I like the black and white ones
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • itboffin
    ITS HERE

So the delivery man wanders over with a large box and says to me doesn't feel like there's anything in this box, I respond there's a bike inside, Q a very puzzled looking delivery man :lol:

4904343435_96081d2540_z.jpg
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    So what's in all those other boxes????
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • itboffin
    So what's in all those other boxes????

CX wheels, 531 steel frame, MTB wheels etc etc I have way too much stuff knocking about in the garage, if it wasn't for the spiders Mrs ITB might start asking questions

:lol:
  • looks splendid
    No Babbit No, Look what Birdy doing
  • itboffin
    looks splendid

Ta

So it's super record hubs and headset for me too :D
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Less web-surfing, more building :P
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    JonGinge wrote:
    Less web-surfing, more building :P

To tired matey :(
  • itboffin
    Groupset is here, initial impressions are mmmm campy carbon loveliness BUT not happy with the front mech, cassette and brakes.

So I'm thinking upgrade to the 2007 QS 10 speed carbon record mech, planet-X sweet CNC & Ti brakes with swisstop pads and a higher groupset cassette.

4910413544_81bf643417_b.jpg
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    You went for Centuar groupset and the only things - before it's out of the plastic - you're happy with are the shifters and crank and you're ready to upgrade.

Please, in another life time I want to be you!

Edit: Given that all of Campy above Centaur is 11speed won't it be nigh impossible to source a better 10speed campy cassette.

ShimanYES
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • itboffin
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    You went for Centuar and before it's out of the plastic you're ready to upgrade.

Please, in another life time I want to be you!

it's a mix of record and centuar i'll have you know :lol:

So i'm thinking record headset & hubs on open pro cd rims, natch!

but really the front mech lets the group down.

BTW DDD have you checked out the planet-x sale, they have 105 & ultegra shifters for £100 or so.
  • DonDaddyD
    That's awfully complex. Why didn't you just go for Record or Chorus or Centuar or even the womens specific Athena, which is for girls?

I check Planet X daily, its become a kind of torture. I get paid next week...

If they're still in stock I'll probably go for the 105 groupset on Merlin. I would buy the Campy equiv if around the same price.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • stuaff
    itboffin wrote:
    Groupset is here, initial impressions are mmmm campy carbon loveliness BUT not happy with the front mech, cassette and brakes.

So I'm thinking upgrade to the 2007 QS 10 speed carbon record mech, planet-X sweet CNC & Ti brakes with swisstop pads and a higher groupset cassette.

Plenty of Record & Chorus 10s bits still available, shouldn't be a problem getting that lot.
  • stuaff
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    That's awfully complex. Why didn't you just go for Record or Chorus or Centuar or even the womens specific Athena, which is for girls?

Kind of unusual if it was unisex women's specific.......
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    It's weird that on the Rourke site they take pics of most of their bikes with bottle cages on. Functional, yes, but super-ugly when they don't need to be!

Nom, though, apart from the modern Rourke logo.
  • DonDaddyD
    StuAff wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Kind of unusual if it was unisex women's specific.......

Perfume can be worn by men but you don't see men buying it for themselves.
    Food Chain number = 4

• biondino
    I do.
  • DonDaddyD
    But when you buy it you at least acknowledge that perfume is aimed at girls.

What perfume do you buy for yourself?
    Food Chain number = 4

• biondino
    I have recently bought Dior Homme for myself.
  • DonDaddyD
    biondino wrote:

Yeah, that's aftershave. And probably be found in the aftershave section amongst all the other perfumes-for-men in Alders, Debenhams and the like.

Thus my point.

Athena = girls groupset.
    Food Chain number = 4

• prawny
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Yeah, that's aftershave. And probably be found in the aftershave section amongst all the other perfumes-for-men in Alders, Debenhams and the like.

Thus my point.

Athena = girls groupset.

All aftershave is mens perfume, I go without, I'm a real man. Grrr :wink:
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017