New bike dilemma

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
So i'm on the cusp of buying a new bike, however whilst putting together the spec I find myself torn between Campag that I love and the new Shimano 6700 Ultegra which looks fab & cool.

Yes yes this is a thread about which is better Campag or Shimano :lol:

I have both currently and I have to say that Campag is my fav although my 105/Ultegra set up works perfectly every time and the new 6700 stuff looks mighty fine, so my question is which to choose on the new build...?

The equivalent Campag would be Chorus, how different is Chorus from the low end Campag? is the new 6700 as good as the old Dura Ace?
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    Had Campag on my last bike - loved it. My new bike has Ultegra 6700 - love it. Both work beautifully, just a matter of preference I suppose.

Must admit I do like the prestige and heritage of Campag but then I am a bit of a t**t.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Wow, easy on the morphine ! Weren't you just debating a cull of your bike herd ? How's that translated into a new bike thread ?

Not, of course, that I would discourage you in any way from buying another bike :lol:

And the answer is :
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/GSCACHR/campagnolo-chorus-groupset
    Misguided Idealist
  • itboffin
    Ribble sportive
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    ITB, why don't you just buy yourself one really bloody brilliant bike and stop faffing around?
  • itboffin
    ITB, why don't you just buy yourself one really bloody brilliant bike and stop faffing around?

I am duh! :lol:
  • lost_in_thought
    itboffin wrote:

Ribble sportive?
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    I'm not even going to begin to start on the whole Campag/Shimano/SRAM thing- I have components by all three (though both roadies have Campag) and they all work well. If in doubt, try 'em out....
    On the Campag side, IMHO best value by a country mile is Athena. £220 cheaper for the carbon chainset version at PX compared to Chorus, and it all works beautifully. Chuffed with it.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    itboffin wrote:

What's the lead time on those Ribbles. I've heard it can be pretty long...

Rock up to Epic and get an Orbea Orca Classic. Job Done*. Next
    http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/Orbea_Orca_Classic.html

* If only that were true
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • stuaff
    JonGinge wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

What's the lead time on those Ribbles. I've heard it can be pretty long...

Rock up to Epic and get an Orbea Orca Classic. Job Done*. Next
    http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/Orbea_Orca_Classic.html

* If only that were true

That is a great deal....
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Both.

Then you can rate one against the other.

Then when you realise you have an entire groupset lying around, you can build another bike.
  • itboffin
    Yeh your not helping any of you, useless the lot of ya :P
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    jon is talking sense. If I had £2k to spend, I'd be off to tenbury wells tomorrow.

Although if it's ultegra that you want, a Focus Cayo Expert with full ultegra (excl chainset)is £1300 I think I'd rather have that than a ribble and you'd get in a couple of days.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    SRAM, clearly
  • will3
    PS Campag chorus vs mirage for me based on the old style stuff (2008ish vintage).:
    stiffer chainset and shifter paddles, nice bling carbon bits and a whole lot lighter. Otherwise it works the same.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    I'm currently lusting after this frame, something a bit different from the vulgarity of bendy plastic. Gets rave reviews too.

J0108.jpg
    Racelight Gran Fondo

Someone mentioned a 105 groupset for £300 on the 'Bargains' thread
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    Firstly, I know nothing about this, having almost no relevant experience and little theoretical knowledge.

Having made that clear, I'd like to offer a highly prejudiced and irrational recommendation.

Don't buy Shimano. By all means go with SRAM, if they offer a suitable product, but otherwise it has to be Campy.

This isn't a commuter bike for transport, is it? It's a discretionary, leisure purchase... like a sports car. You wouldn't buy a VW or Toyota sportscar would you (unless you needed to commute in it, too)? You'd get a Porsche, or an Alfa Romeo... or maybe a Jaguar...

There... does that help?

Cheers,
    W.
  • itboffin
    Talking of Jags I wonder if someone could lend me their credit card ....

I appear to have left my wallet in the "Jag!"

:wink:
  • lost_in_thought
    TWH, that paint scheme is hella ugly.

ITB, stop messing about with £400 frames and buy a superbike. You know you want to. Buns is spot on.
  • itboffin

ITB, stop messing about with £400 frames and buy a superbike. You know you want to. Buns is spot on.

So this is my theory, I have a habit of crashing and breaking bikes I'm also a serial over-tightener therefore I figure if I buy a decent groupset and wheelset and sit it on a cheap carbon frame then when I have that crash I won't be in tears at the loss just the pain of whatever I've broken or torn this time.

Makes sense no?

Oh and LIT people with orange bikes can NOT give style advise :lol:
  • stuaff
    itboffin wrote:

So this is my theory, I have a habit of crashing and breaking bikes I'm also a serial over-tightener therefore I figure if I buy a decent groupset and wheelset and sit it on a cheap carbon frame then when I have that crash I won't be in tears at the loss just the pain of whatever I've broken or torn this time.

Makes sense no?

Oh and LIT people with orange bikes can NOT give style advise :lol:

A decent carbon frame can take a crash or two. Hopefully more in my case ;)
    Style? From someone who sticks a gold chain etc on his Trek, that's a bit off.... :D
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Campag and Shimano both work really well in my experience, however:

1) New Ultegra not as smooth as old Ultegra from what I've heard, they've had to compromise a bit to hide the cables.

2) Chorus is waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Ultegra. Ultegra / Centaur always used to be similar level, they seem to be down-grading Centaur now to make room for Athena which is probably therefore nearest to Ultegra (but 11 speed).

3) Avoid Sram unless you want your chain to fall off! :lol:

As for frames, Ribble and Planet X both get good reports, I'd probably go Planet X myself as it is seriously light, also you get a choice of colours so you could a nice blue or white one (or pink!) and avoid the usual "black with red and white bits" look.

So, a nice shiny white Planet X with Athena?!
  • tailwindhome
    Ti?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    edited July 2010
  • tailwindhome
    edited July 2010
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    Following on from Buns, I've always thought that Shimano and Campy were like a microcosm of the two countries respective sports cars. Draw from that what you will.

I think it comes down to whether you fancy shifting with your thumbs (not for me, mine aren't long enough, and I like riding on the drops).

@LiT: Eh? have you looked at your Viner recently? I'd say that Kinesis is quite restrained in comparison. Eye of the beholder an' all that though.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • will3
    Hang on, you need opposable thumbs for campgnolo shifters, whereas you can operate shimano with any hoof or paw
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    will3 wrote:
    Hang on, you need opposable thumbs for campgnolo shifters, whereas you can operate shimano with any hoof or paw

You can shift up and down / front and rear from the drops with Campag, you can also shift up the sprocket riding on the tops with your right hand little finger which I don't think you can do with Shimano. You can also shift up and down several sprockets at a time.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    will3 wrote:

And the bottom of the range Shimano Sora - make of that what you will!!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • lost_in_thought
    rjsterry wrote:
    @LiT: Eh? have you looked at your Viner recently? I'd say that Kinesis is quite restrained in comparison. Eye of the beholder an' all that though.

Horses for courses.

I look at that kinesis and think 'ugh, drab school gym bags, the mid-90s'. I look at my viner and think 'oooh pretty'.

It's not a matter of restraint, I just don't like the Kinesis' colours, the design, the font, anything in fact!