Interval training to boost TT performance?

1235»

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    No expert - but it sounds like the type of training you do isn't relevant to the type of events you are doing.

Long rides won't particularly make you better at short TTs. You'd probably do really well in a long road race, but a 10 mile TT is a different beast.

If you want to be good at 10s, then do some training specifically for that type of event. If you want to do long rides all the times, then enjoy them and don't worry about your TT performance as much.

And don't expect results overnight.

(You CAN train for both. Just need to mix it up some more.)
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    freehub wrote:

I don't want to do a long distance TT until I've got a bike that is comfortable where I don't get a$$ ache and where I'm in a more aero position.

I don't understand that. What's comfort got to do with it? You're already doing a lot more than the distances. Do you think any bike, saddle is comfortable over 12 hours?

Aero, just stick a set of tri bars on any bike and you're half way there. 12hr record was set on a cyclo cross bike with aero bars. Welsh 12, someone did it on a folding bike thingy with small wheels.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Pokerface, I though the threshold and interval training was relevant for it?
    chrisw12 wrote:
    freehub wrote:

I don't want to do a long distance TT until I've got a bike that is comfortable where I don't get a$$ ache and where I'm in a more aero position.

I don't understand that. What's comfort got to do with it? You're already doing a lot more than the distances. Do you think any bike, saddle is comfortable over 12 hours?

Aero, just stick a set of tri bars on any bike and you're half way there. 12hr record was set on a cyclo cross bike with aero bars. Welsh 12, someone did it on a folding bike thingy with small wheels.

What has comfort got to do with it? Well being comfortable, I don't think everyone has back ache and a$$ ache tbh, leg ache due to lactic build up is fine yes. But when I have other aches and feel my leg movement is being restricted due to the saddle I think it has alot to do with it.

What should I do on Sunday? Won't be riding tomoz now cause I got to take my wheels to be trued and won't get em till tomoz.
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    :?

So how do you manage to do 100+ rides then?

and I get back ache, arse ache, who doesn't if you're doing a few miles on the bike, you just manage it and get on with it.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    chrisw12 wrote:
    :?

So how do you manage to do 100+ rides then?

and I get back ache, ars* ache, who doesn't if you're doing a few miles on the bike, you just manage it and get on with it.

Back ache and arse ache is not normal, you need to get yer bike fitted properly like mine, except mine probably won't fit properly.

This is what I am going to do because frankly my head is going to explode due to confusion:

I am going to do ONE THRESHOLD SESSION a week, ONE INTERVAL SESSION a week, every other week a long 100+ mile ride, then every other week a chaingang.

There is only one TT left, after that Thursdays will be the interval session.

The threshold sessions must be good, jeff jones says so, I don't really know if doing one 100+ miler every other week, or even every saturday is going to kill me doing TT's if I have the other proper training for it. Infact if my legs feel up to it, I'll probably do 110 miles on Saturday, it's coming to the end of the seasons, I might as well continue to have fun now.