TdF Stage 16 *spoiler*

Comments

• luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    iainf72 wrote:
    Out of all of them, I'd like Fedrigo to win.

Yep. The Voeckler thread got me thinking about how it would be good to see him get a stage win.

What will ITV4 be showing of today. I'd be crestfallen if I had to wait for their coverage.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Agreed on Fedrigo.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    What's the Lance vs Cunego story?
    exercise.png
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    edited July 2010
    In order to have more racing there should be less focus in top 5, 10 or 15. Who cares if you finish 9th or 11th???
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    if the front group turns up the gas a little, Armstrong is going to go out the back door..
    cartoon.jpg
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Lance threatened to " crush you,little Prince" supposedley his words when Cunego was (not) threatening LA during a race. I'm sure someone will post a link to the whole and rather funny story
    M.Rushton
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    mrushton wrote:
    Lance threatened to " crush you,little Prince" supposedley his words when Cunego was (not) threatening LA during a race. I'm sure someone will post a link to the whole and rather funny story

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=2459

Found it. Julian Dean overheard it
    M.Rushton
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Mettan wrote:
    More summit finishes needed in next years race. Clearly the most exciting spectacles for many.

I agree. I don't understand these insanely long descents followed by flats. It greatly limits the effect the mountain can have on thee stage.
  • donrhummy wrote:
    Mettan wrote:
    More summit finishes needed in next years race. Clearly the most exciting spectacles for many.

I agree. I don't understand these insanely long descents followed by flats. It greatly limits the effect the mountain can have on thee stage.

That can work if reasonably strong riders try to go for the stage, but as another poster said - this obsession with top 10 or top 15 placings is ruining it.

Getting a KoM jersey is much more memorable then finishing 14th. Or even bagging some stage wins, yet the strong guys insist on chasing the GC. It's rather sad really.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Yes, but towns pay a lot to host a finish and there's not usually a town at the top of a big mountain (most "summit" finishes are in ski resorts and in some cases the road goes higher).
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Pokerface wrote:
    I thought Bernie didn't actually watch racing

He doesnt but last week by a huge coincidence he was there to see LA have his worst day for years in the Tour.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    TheStone wrote:
    What's the Lance vs Cunego story?
    Story of the day goes to Lance, who at one point was having it out with Cunego as they were fighting for position mid-way through the race. Cunego goes by the nickname in Italy, 'The Prince'. All the Italians seem to have dorkie nicknames, such as the 'Dolphin' or 'Cricket'. Anyway, after squabbling back and forth to each other, in all his anger and frustration, Lance turned to Cunego and said, "I'll crush you, little Prince!"

http://www.juliandean.co.nz/diary.php?dType=archive

Apparently this incident was a follow-up to some remarks Cunego made in the press implying that the leaders in the race, including Armstrong, were doping.
  • donrhummy
    Lance takes off, dropping a bunch off the back.
  • Snorebens
    Snorebens Posts: 759
    mrushton wrote:

http://www.roadcycling.com/articles/jul ... 2773.shtml

Final paragraph
  • donrhummy
    Went again and dropped Cunego this time!
  • donrhummy
    Cunego recovered.
  • donrhummy
    Barredo takes off and Lance is late to answer!
  • donrhummy
    Three guys have gone around Lance now. He's stuck with Cunego behind.
  • donrhummy
    Lance is slowly coming back to the leaders (or more likely they've slowed).
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    edited July 2010
    WTF? Barredo drops Lance and the lads, with 74kms to go. Fedrigo goes after him.
    Lance is struggling, maybe?
    Clawed his way back but will they go again?

Barredo off again. Fedrigo the danger man.........
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • donrhummy
    Woow, Barredo takes off again! But Lance got back again.
  • donrhummy
    Barredo is fun! LOL.
  • donrhummy
    Can't do anything here, those idiots running on the road make it impossible to come around anyone.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    mrushton wrote:
    mrushton wrote:

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=2459

Found it. Julian Dean overheard it

I actually got blocked from Armstrong's Twitter due to his dueling with Cunego.

When Lampre had their doping investigation a couple of months ago, he made a reference about "I wonder what the 'little prince' will say about that", referring to the fact Cunego isn't as pure as it makes out to be.

Anyway, I replied to Lance, that Cunego could probably "could go on ad nauseam that he's been tested heaps of time and never failed a doping test"

I was blocked less than 10 mins later.

I'm now waiting on LA giving Barredo 'The Look'
  • donrhummy
    Fantastic! Barredo goes again!
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    Nobody cracking just yet. Barredo will have to whip off his wheel at this rate.

Fedrigo looks good.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    Is this drama, or merely theatre?
  • donrhummy
    Pretty good gap back to lance/Cunego but on the descent, they'll likely pull it back. But Barredo's annoying everyone with those attacks. Go Barredo!
  • donrhummy
    Barredo''s attacking on the descent!
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    By the way, good to see Phil and Paul are in fine form tonight.

Bunch of tossers!