TdF Stage 16 *spoiler*

1789101113»

Comments

• luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    Luckao wrote:
    Contador was struggling to catch him when his chain came off

No, he wasn't.

He definitely was. Vinokourov bridged the gap easier than Contador. He was slow to respond and wasn't closing the door as quick as he's been seen to before.

It was like watching Rasmussen struggle to catch Contador on those countless attacks in 2007 all over again!

Schleck's attack was hardly tantamount to Contador's repeated kicks in his famous duel with Rasmussen. That's complete hyperbole.

Contador was slow to react, that doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't going to close the gap. Schleck didn't build a significant lead, hence it's impossible for you to know that. I'm saying he wasn't struggling because Contador followed Schleck's mechanical with a ferocious attack of his own. It's reasonable to conclude that him having that type of energy at his disposal meant he wasn't in as much trouble as you believe.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Luckao wrote:

Contador was slow to react, that doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't going to close the gap. Schleck didn't build a significant lead, hence it's impossible for you to know that. I'm saying he wasn't struggling because Contador followed Schleck's mechanical with a ferocious attack of his own. It's reasonable to conclude that him having that type of energy at his disposal meant he wasn't in as much trouble as you believe.

+1
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    donrhummy wrote:
    no gifts. weak sprint by lance, although he got up to third he was too tired and sat up.

that's the end of him kids. no more lance. we'll NOT see him show in the TT

Can i ask why so many people hate Lance YET they love Pantani? (Not saying you do but...)

I hate HisTwitness (didn't you all hear me shouting"Anyone but him, come on Cunego, Casar, anyone but him!) and I love Pantani - it's probably a woman thing!
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Ms Tree wrote:
    [r, anyone but him!) and I love Pantani - it's probably a woman thing!

The fact he was juiced from head to toe not matter to you then ?
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    Ms Tree wrote:
    I love Pantani - it's probably a woman thing!
    Is it a hair thing ? ... :wink::wink:
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Ms Tree wrote:
    [r, anyone but him!) and I love Pantani - it's probably a woman thing!

The fact he was juiced from head to toe not matter to you then ?

Strangely, no. He was one messed up dude
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Luckao wrote:
    Luckao wrote:
    Contador was struggling to catch him when his chain came off

No, he wasn't.

He definitely was. Vinokourov bridged the gap easier than Contador. He was slow to respond and wasn't closing the door as quick as he's been seen to before.

It was like watching Rasmussen struggle to catch Contador on those countless attacks in 2007 all over again!

Schleck's attack was hardly tantamount to Contador's repeated kicks in his famous duel with Rasmussen. That's complete hyperbole.

Which is why I said 'it was like'. I didn't say 'the same as'. Simile. Not metaphor. And I wasn't aware a person's opinion on a situation could be described by someone else as 'hyperbole', but there you go!
    Luckao wrote:
    Contador followed Schleck's mechanical with a ferocious attack of his own. It's reasonable to conclude that him having that type of energy at his disposal meant he wasn't in as much trouble as you believe.

Yeah, it's not hard to gain time on someone who is stopped in the road and not pedalling. You can't judge his energy levels in an attack against a static object.
  • samiam
    samiam Posts: 227
    Luckao wrote:
    Contador followed Schleck's mechanical with a ferocious attack of his own. It's reasonable to conclude that him having that type of energy at his disposal meant he wasn't in as much trouble as you believe.

Yeah, it's not hard to gain time on someone who is stopped in the road and not pedalling. You can't judge his energy levels in an attack against a static object.

+1

Even I can drop Andy Schleck in the Pyrenees and make it look easy when he's not pedalling..
  • luckao
    Which is why I said 'it was like'. I didn't say 'the same as'. Simile. Not metaphor. And I wasn't aware a person's opinion on a situation could be described by someone else as 'hyperbole', but there you go!

It was nothing like it. You can word it however you want, it's an unconvincing comparison. And yes, your interpretation of events seems deliberately exaggerated in order to emphasize the alleged injustice of Contador refusing to wait. I can't take it seriously, hence I perceive it to be hyperbole. It's possible. There you go.

I didn't. I judged his attack on the basis of it stringing the group out, leaving a number of other GC riders struggling to go with him, Menchov and Sanchez included.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    samiam wrote:

Even I can drop Andy Schleck in the Pyrenees and make it look easy when he's not pedalling..
    Oh good there is a job for you in Luxembourg next year.
    You obviously know how to change gear and adjust the mech so the chain stays on when it's moved.
    Nice little job that for you and perhaps you can make sure that he has another rider there in case it happens again to swop bikes like any other GT contender would.
    Havn't Saxo got someone else in this tour to replace Franks job of being there for his leader.

That's the way of the world these days to blame everybody else for your own mistakes.

I thought the way you are talking that somebody gave a head butt to andy :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • paulcuthbert
    Luckao wrote:
    I didn't. I judged his attack on the basis of it stringing the group out, leaving a number of other GC riders struggling to go with him, Menchov and Sanchez included.

Whether Contador is on a good day or a bad day, he can still 'string the group out'. Only Andy Schleck is capable of matching Contador in the mountains, and vice versa. And Contador wasn't catching Schleck - so that shows me he was weaker. Whether the group could catch him or not is irrelevant
  • luckao
    You can speculate on Contador’s credentials during that attack, but the fact is that - in doing what you’d expect - it’s a more credible reflection of what he had to offer than your argument in favour of Andy that stems from an attack that lasted little more than five seconds. That’s one almighty assumption based on such minimal evidence.
  • paulcuthbert
    Luckao wrote:
    You can speculate on Contador’s credentials during that attack, but the fact is that - in doing what you’d expect - it’s a more credible reflection of what he had to offer than your argument in favour of Andy that stems from an attack that lasted little more than five seconds. That’s one almighty assumption based on such minimal evidence.

Andy attacked so hard his chain couldn't take it. Says a lot
  • luckao
    Contador was so blasé about the attack that he recited some Cervantes to his compatriots before taking up the chase.