Tour de France Stage 12 *spoiler*

Comments

• calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    WHO THOUGHT ANDY WAS BETTER THAN CONTADOR.

DAMAGE WILL BE DONE IN THE PYRENEES

So that was 25 secs in 500m then lost 15 on the 2km of flat.

Stop shouting.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Orleandrew
    Orleandrew Posts: 61
    AidanR wrote:
    Doobz wrote:
    Orleandrew wrote:
    Did he let Sanchez have the stage there?

no, contador wanted that 4sure

Sanchez? J-Rod...

Yeah, my bad.
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Orleandrew wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    From BBC:

"Team Sky's Brad Wiggins dropping out the back of the peloton."

True?

Yeah

Not really - he finished in the third (?) group losing 30-odd seconds.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    I am sure its the same place bertie went in the PN!!
    cartoon.jpg
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Contador's moved was well timed, exploiting the moment when Schleck drifted across the road. But the Pyrenees should reveal bigger gaps, physiologically Andy Schleck is more suited to multi-col 200km+ mountain stages.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Orleandrew wrote:
    Doobz wrote:
    Orleandrew wrote:

Thought he was just following him in, but sprinting for the extra few seconds on schleck.

If he'd given the stage to Rodriguez, Rodriguez would have contributed in the final kilometre. There was an overhead shot with a km to go where you could see Contador shaking his head. I guess Rodriguez asked him for a deal and Contador said no.

Dunno why, though. No bonus seconds on the line - why not do a deal?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    AidanR wrote:
    Orleandrew wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    From BBC:

True?

Yeah

Came in 14th. 31s down in a group with Basso, Sastre, Evans, LL Sanchez, Roche, Lofqvist, Cunego, Horner and Plaza.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Vino must be pissed. was it really worth doing that for 10 secs?

YES. 10 seconds is a LOT and could be the winning margin.
  • afx237vi
    AidanR wrote:
    Orleandrew wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    From BBC:

True?

Yeah

Yeah, but he was one of the first out the back when the pace went up.
  • calvjones
    afx237vi wrote:
    Orleandrew wrote:
    Doobz wrote:
    Orleandrew wrote:

Thought he was just following him in, but sprinting for the extra few seconds on schleck.

If he'd given the stage to Rodriguez, Rodriguez would have contributed in the final kilometre. There was an overhead shot with a km to go where you could see Contador shaking his head. I guess Rodriguez asked him for a deal and Contador said no.

He's a Champion! No gifts!

Strava is not Zen.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    edited July 2010
    Shat - at first I thought Andy didn't see bertie go - but after a few replays, it's clear he did - psychologically, the race now swings right back in Contador's favour :cry: - bring on the Pyrenies - but maybe not :D
  • calvjones
    Why do Spanish pro riders only speak in octaves dogs can hear?

Strava is not Zen.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    edited July 2010
    RichN95 wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    From BBC:

True?

He fought back quite well. Finished about 30-40 seconds down on AC

On a 3k climb?
  • Vino must be pissed. was it really worth doing that for 10 secs?

Thing was J Rod would have past Vino in any case. It was almost certainly why Contador did not attack from 2km from the summit. He simply went after J-Rod. I am sure Contador would have not attacked and let Vino take the win.

ok - thought that Bertie went first....
  • afx237vi
    calvjones wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

He's a Champion! No gifts!

Well, aye, obviously, but when you're going to get beaten anyway...
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Vino did look pissed. Slammed his handlebars. But really, now that we're heading into the mountains, does Contador need him anymore? He kicked butt last year with little help.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    afx237vi wrote:

Have you not learned anything? Contador races to win, every single day
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Gazzaputt wrote:

On a 3k climb?

It sounds alot but on the Mende climb you can lose that quite easily. The bit Bert went after J-Rod on is pretty damn steep.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    That was good, that was.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    edited July 2010
    Could Andy neutralise Contador in the Pyrennees by attacking him (again and again) - both end up tired on any particular stage (and call a truce (sp)) for a particular stage - finish stage with same time? That bluff could possibly work.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    camerone wrote:
    donrhummy wrote:
    what is wrong with cav? When farrar's pull-out was announced he laughed and did a finger across the throat. Not funny when a guy has a broken bone.

you dont think that he was referring to the fact he was languishing on the rear of the peloton? that gesture seems widely used when a rider has had enough no?

yeah i think he was saying something like" fcuk this for a game of soldiers" and slid off the back
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    That was good, that was.

It's great now that cycling is clean. Aside from that pesky Puerto stuff. And the blood doping, eh?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mididoctors
    afx237vi wrote:
    Orleandrew wrote:
    Doobz wrote:
    Orleandrew wrote:

contador looked at J-rod to come with him as he passed and gave him the nod then got miffed J rod wouldn't pull...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    donrhummy wrote:
    Vino did look pissed. Slammed his handlebars. But really, now that we're heading into the mountains, does Contador need him anymore? He kicked butt last year with little help.

he was going to get caught by j rod anyway...or maybe not 4 secs?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Maybe it's too soon to tell but we're not seeing whole teams fixing the race, the positions on GC are in a large way down to individual efforts. Not saying everything's fixed but at the same time I'm not raising my eyebrows all day long.
  • mididoctors
    Kléber wrote:
    Maybe it's too soon to tell but we're not seeing whole teams fixing the race, the positions on GC are in a large way down to individual efforts. Not saying everything's fixed but at the same time I'm not raising my eyebrows all day long.

i dont think there are teams dominant enough to behave that way...(presently)
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    iainf72 wrote:
    That was good, that was.
    It's great now that cycling is clean. Aside from that pesky Puerto stuff. And the blood doping, eh?
    I managed to engaged in a 'willing suspension of disbelief' for a while there. After all, it's nowt but entertainment these days isn't it?
  • mididoctors
    ok all this contador j rod vino schleck stuff is ok...but what happen in the real race for team GC

who got their third man across the line first Caisse or Radioshack
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    iainf72 wrote:
    That was good, that was.
    I managed to engaged in a 'willing suspension of disbelief' for a while there. After all, it's nowt but entertainment these days isn't it?

Cycling as pro wrestling?
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    From BBC:

True?

He fought back quite well. Finished about 30-40 seconds down on AC

On a 3k climb?

On a 3K steep climb and finished in a group that contained several of the GC contenders and ahead of others. 20 secs down on Schleck and co. I don't think 30 seconds is going to cost him too much now, it's far too late for that.