Tour de France Stage 12 *spoiler*

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited July 2010 in Pro race
PROFILKMS.gif

Remember Contador won here in Paris Nice this year with a solo win:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_CB7LgCoEo

Contador's take:
“It’s a stage that I like. But what I’m thinking about now is the GC. We’ll have to look at whatever moves there are and act accordingly.”

One thing’s for sure: there will be a big difference in conditions from his win at Paris-Nice, in temperatures at few degrees above zero, to the month of July, with forecasts of around 30° C. “They’re not alike at all. The climb will be totally different, due to the days of exhaustion that we’re carrying in this Tour, among other reasons,” said Alberto. “First we’ll have to see how we feel and then what we can do.”

What he doesn’t want to comment about is whether tomorrow will be the next chapter in the duel between Contador and Schleck. “Could be,” he said simply.

And this is why it is known as Cima Jalabert:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhQAAm8fOc8
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I would love to see a group of Roche, Basso, Cadel, Samu, Andy and Contador distance everyone and Cadel take the win.

I think Contador will try something on Sunday for time on Andy with the toughest summit finish.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813

And this is why it is known as Cima Jalabert:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhQAAm8fOc8

the thing forgotten about the tactical ambush on the roads to Mende is how it was "operationally" tested the day before to ST Etienne.

there JaJa attacked out of the Indurain group relatively early in the stage just to see how Banesto and the Mig would react (fewer radios them days)..

Jalabert didn't persist that day but instead banked the information
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    not showing the first 2 hours on eurosport which is shame..probably be very active for a whole bunch of reasons
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Hmm, breakaway or GC rider ding-dong? We can have both of course and I suspect many will want to be in the break today since it won't be shut down by the sprinters.

I expect Sky will try to get a man in the breakaway today.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    One for J-Rod?
  • mididoctors
    Kléber wrote:
    Hmm, breakaway or GC rider ding-dong? We can have both of course and I suspect many will want to be in the break today since it won't be shut down by the sprinters.

I expect Sky will try to get a man in the breakaway today.

thor may try as well

lot of interest in getting down the road today
  • mididoctors
    edited July 2010
    One for J-Rod?

all the GC lads wait for J rod to go then try and go over the top

I think they will base their effort at cima jaja on j-rod which will be funny if he dont have it
  • mididoctors
    there off attacks aplenty

boom and wegmann had a go
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Just a pointer.

The finish today is different to the one in Paris NIce. This is the Tour de France finish in the aerodrome because they need the extra space for the caravane etc.

So the P-N finish will be the KOM today and then it flattens out onto a wide finishing straight.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Its the sort of day Sam Domoulin fires down the road.

Tough for PTP. I think most people were content to hedge and guess that the big boys would at least pick up points for minor places.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • mididoctors
    Just a pointer.

The finish today is different to the one in Paris NIce. This is the Tour de France finish in the aerodrome because they need the extra space for the caravane etc.

So the P-N finish will be the KOM today and then it flattens out onto a wide finishing straight.

true but

hasn't come together despite the aerodrome run in when that version of the finish has been used before...
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Timoid. wrote:

Tough for PTP. I think most people were content to hedge and guess that the big boys would at least pick up points for minor places.

Ooops. Just seen he's not started today.

Ahem :oops:
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Kléber
    Dumoulin's quit the race this morning.

As TTHR points out, finish isn't at the top, as it was in Paris-Nice. Instead the riders get to the top and then have 2km, including the runway of the local airport, as the finishing straight.

Le Mevel might be an outside pick. Frustrated by his GC performance, he's a half decent rider with a finishing punch. But then others will be in the same camp.

Maybe Percival will have his day with EBH?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    Timoid. wrote:
    Not today, he's not started.
  • mididoctors
    Timoid. wrote:

I got bertie coming off J rods wheel..for the PTP points

but perhaps a break survives to the end....
  • mididoctors
    Kléber wrote:
    Maybe Percival will have his day with EBH?

EBH is grovelling his way to paris... more likely to see him drifting off the back
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    I picked EBH but was having second thoughts this morning - nagging feeling that RadioShack will try something again re: breakaways. A lot of decent climbers well down on time. Lance's last stand?
  • mididoctors
    well they hoooonnning along at 57kph with no one off the front yet
  • mididoctors
    Kléber wrote:

As TTHR points out, finish isn't at the top, as it was in Paris-Nice. Instead the riders get to the top and then have 2km, including the runway of the local airport, as the finishing straight.

aerodrome finish used in 2005... anybody dropped on the climb didn't get back on

almost the same in 1995... zuelle almost gets back on
  • Kléber
    Armstrong too might be an interesting pick if he's with the leaders at the foot of the climb. But his famous wattage/kilogram ratio seems a bit off this year.
  • mididoctors
    hitting the first climb together at 50kph
  • mididoctors
    Kléber wrote:
    Armstrong too might be an interesting pick if he's with the leaders at the foot of the climb. But his famous wattage/kilogram ratio seems a bit off this year.

if he could get away he is unlikely to be matched in any break he was in...

he has to be good for a break somewhere.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Timoid. wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

Ooops. Just seen he's not started today.

Ahem :oops:

So we already have our Christy Anderson memorial prize for the day :D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • mididoctors
    lance off the back with klodi and Mcewen

problem?

farrar off the back..

36kph on the 3 cat

petacchi

off

can thor hang on?
  • mididoctors
    who is driving?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Fast, as the peloton is largely intact.
    Armstrong, Kloden, Petacci and McEwen, distanced, according to live updates.
    No reason given.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    ryder and costa off the front

the shack to close costa down :roll:
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Top 30 on the Stage finish to Mende in the 2005 TdF

1 Marcos Serrano (Spa) Liberty Seguros-Würth 4.37.36 (40.85 km/h)
    2 Cédric Vasseur (Fra) Cofidis, Le Credit Par Telephone 0.27
    3 Axel Merckx (Bel) Davitamon-Lotto
    4 Xabier Zandio (Spa) Illes Balears-Caisse d'Epargne 1.08
    5 Franco Pellizotti (Ita) Liquigas-Bianchi
    6 Thomas Voeckler (Fra) Bouygues Telecom 1.28
    7 Luke Roberts (Aus) Team CSC
    8 Matthias Kessler (Ger) T-Mobile Team 1.44
    9 Egoi Martinez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 2.03
    10 Carlos Da Cruz (Fra) Française Des Jeux 2.38
    11 Cadel Evans (Aus) Davitamon-Lotto 11.18
    12 Lance Armstrong (USA) Discovery Channel
    13 Ivan Basso (Ita) Team CSC
    14 Jan Ullrich (Ger) T-Mobile Team
    15 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) T-Mobile Team 11.55
    16 Michael Rasmussen (Den) Rabobank
    17 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Gerolsteiner
    18 Francisco Mancebo (Spa) Illes Balears-Caisse d'Epargne
    19 Leonardo Piepoli (Ita) Saunier Duval-Prodir 12.01
    20 Floyd Landis (USA) Phonak Hearing Systems 12.07
    21 Eddy Mazzoleni (Ita) Lampre-Caffita
    22 Christophe Moreau (Fra) Credit Agricole 12.28
    23 Georg Totschnig (Aut) Gerolsteiner
    24 Oscar Pereiro Sio (Spa) Phonak Hearing Systems
    25 Yaroslav Popovych (Ukr) Discovery Channel 12.44
    26 Laurent Brochard (Fra) Bouygues Telecom 12.58
    27 Haimar Zubeldia (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi
    28 Bobby Julich (USA) Team CSC
    29 George Hincapie (USA) Discovery Channel
    30 Jörg Jaksche (Ger) Liberty Seguros-Würth
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Hesjedal, Costa, and Fédrigo at 22"
    I think the peloton has re-formed.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    ryder isn't going to be allowed to go?