Tour De France 2010 - *May contain spoilers*

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Greg66 wrote:

Most interesting facet of today for me was seeing Vino's group come over the line. It had had AC in it. But they shelled him out the back in the last two k. Guess Vino has his own ideas of who the star in Astana is. Be surprised to see him riding for AC in the mountains. Who'd've thought?

AC had a mechanical in the final KM's which is why he was 'shelled out the back'. Or so the story goes. Maybe you know something we don't....
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Pokerface wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Most interesting facet of today for me was seeing Vino's group come over the line. It had had AC in it. But they shelled him out the back in the last two k. Guess Vino has his own ideas of who the star in Astana is. Be surprised to see him riding for AC in the mountains. Who'd've thought?

AC had a mechanical in the final KM's which is why he was 'shelled out the back'. Or so the story goes. Maybe you know something we don't....

Ah. Well, I didn't know that, which explains the gap. But I do know Vino is self-centred, and being a Kazakh on a Kazakh team which was created by him for him, he may not hold much with the idea that he should ride for Contador. IIRC, in his last Tour for T-Mob, he rode as if he was on a different team, attacking Ulrich whenever it suited him ...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Got home late and just watched the highlights. Fantastic stage! Any rider that whinges about it should be excluded from the tour and told to "MTFU".

Nice to see Team Sky in 2nd and 8th today. More of that please!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Not yet seen the highlights, but, looking at the results and seeing that F Schleck is out, I'm gonna say that AC is now more likely to win. Seems to me that A Schleck now has to go toe to toe with AC in the hills in the way Rasmussen did in 2007 (was it then?).

It does however mean that second is up for grabs.

Would be great if I'm wrong.

On another note, would be great to see Dan Lloyd do well in the mountains, helping out Sastre.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Greg66 wrote:
    But none of these gaps are that big.

Of that group, I'd say Evans is the weak man come the mountains.

Guess Vino has his own ideas of who the star in Astana is. Be surprised to see him riding for AC in the mountains.
    I disagree with most of this analysis. Okay, no the gaps aren't too big, but Schleck lost FAR more time than he anticipated, about 20-25 seconds I'd say, and the other gaps are the wrong way around, so "time lost" (in comparison to expectations) is greater than it appears. i.e. Wiggins lost 30 seconds. That's an effective loss of about 40-45 seconds. If Wiggins came across the line on a mountain stage 45 seconds clear of Contador, everyone would be leaping around that a new world order is in place. So you simply can't discount a 45 second swing the wrong way at this stage. The only "big time gaps later" will be in the same direction as they already are, I'm afraid. All the prologue has done is allow Contador more scope to pick and chose when he attacks and when he responds.

I don't know how you could miss that Wiggo is a weaker climber than Evans, on the whole. It isn't pretty, but Evans can follow accelerations. You are confusing a terribly weak team and repeated attacks on an isolated leader, who was also the best time trialler in GC contention, during the 2008 tour, with poorability to follow accelerations. He's not the best, but he simply had too many to follow that year.

Vino will only fail to really help Contador because he'll be dropped already. He's not a GC contender, even in his own version of the universe. I don't think he'll be THAT much help, because he'll be saving himself as much as possible for stage wins, but we will see him pacing groups up mid stage climbs to keep breaks in check, on behalf of Contador.

But I would love to be wrong about Vino.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I am no great fan of Bertie's, but have to admit that he did really well on the pave yesterday. Be interesting to see if Cav is up in the mix at the end of today's stage, which looks like one for the sprinters.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,356
    God I hope nothing of any significance happens today.

I have some work to do
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I suspect Vino didn't realise Bertie had been shelled yesterday, otherwise that was criminal.

I think people are reading too much into the prologue result - its really an indicator of form which is why Andy Schleck and Wiggins' relatively poor results looked worrying for them, but both have shown that maybe they have good legs after all.

Andy will, I suspect, benefit in some ways from Frank's early bath. He'll be able to assert himself more in the mountains, last year he seemed to be teeing up a two man attack on Bertie that never came as Frank wasn't strong enough, this year I hope they'll go mano a mano.

Wiggins is still the man at Sky - looks to be on good form. His prologue was I imagine largely down to gambling on the weather and then, when he lost that, he was overly cautious given that he has built his entire season (for which he is paid a small fortune) around the tour and he didn't want to crash out early. Normally I'd expect his time to be about the same as Bertie's.

Its all down to the mountains anyway. Maybe Saturday but definitely Sunday will be the day when we know who is really up for it, I expect by Monday there'll be maybe half a dozen realistic contenders left, hopefully Wiggins will be in there but I suspect Contador may be in yellow by then and won't lose it before Paris.
  • Orleandrew
    Orleandrew Posts: 61
    MatHammond wrote:
    I suspect Vino didn't realise Bertie had been shelled yesterday, otherwise that was criminal.

AC had a mechanical, but as it was in the last 3km he gets the time of the group he was riding with, therefore makes sense for Vino to bomb it for the benefit of AC.
  • Orleandrew
    andy83 wrote:
    Did anyone else notice the bike Chris Boardman was riding in his piece to the camera describing the finish of stage one.

Black frame but no decals/ branding?

A prototype?
    Another brand 'blacked out'?
    A Boardman, but not allowed the product placement?

it looked like a boardman to me and just the brand covered with tape, not sure whyh though

From his twitter:
    "More interestingly, taking a prototype frame to the TdF :-) looking forward to using that!"

"why did your boardman bike not have any of the stickers on? > Not allowed, ITV rules "

http://twitter.com/Chris_Boardman
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Orleandrew wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:

AC had a mechanical, but as it was in the last 3km he gets the time of the group he was riding with, therefore makes sense for Vino to bomb it for the benefit of AC.

Mechanical was a broken spoke causing his wheel to rub, he'd had it for 30 km so he doesn't get the time of the group.
    <a>road</a>
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Does anyone here watch this at the Rapha club in London? Big HD screens, good coffee...
  • cjcp
    Worth keeping an eye on Robert Gesink and van den Broeck in the mountains, too. The latter's currently in 10th.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    Worth keeping an eye on Robert Gesink and van den Broeck in the mountains, too. The latter's currently in 10th.
    Should be interesting: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gesink- ... ctured-arm

vdb did a good ride last year (and that made Evans sulk a bit IIRC) and in the 2008 giro...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    vdb did a good ride last year (and that made Evans sulk a bit IIRC) and in the 2008 giro...

Yep. Think he was well placed in the Dauphine, too.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • "More interestingly, taking a prototype frame to the TdF Smile looking forward to using that!"

"why did your boardman bike not have any of the stickers on? > Not allowed, ITV rules "

Wonder if it's the long-promised Boardman Elite road frame?

Andy
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    "More interestingly, taking a prototype frame to the TdF Smile looking forward to using that!"

Wonder if it's the long-promised Boardman Elite road frame?

Andy

Is it just me, or does Boardman look the least likely cyclist you've ever clapped eyes on. If you saw him at the lights on your commute (and he wasn't trackstanding, which he seems to be quite good at), you'd never in a million years think he was one of the greatest track riders this country has produced. He looks like a fat Dad.

Weird.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • bigmat
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Should be interesting: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gesink- ... ctured-arm

Oh for god's sake Gesink! The lad is quality, would be podium potential if he could stay upright. They seem to be dropping like flies, Wiggins could be in with a shout at this rate if his form is good. Roll on the weekend! If anyone has any left over England flags I'll happily fly them half way up Avoriaz!
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Greg66 wrote:
    Is it just me, or does Boardman look the least likely cyclist you've ever clapped eyes on. If you saw him at the lights on your commute (and he wasn't trackstanding, which he seems to be quite good at), you'd never in a million years think he was one of the greatest track riders this country has produced. He looks like a fat Dad.

What about the great Eddy Merckx? Did anyone see him when he appeared on TV after Chavanel's stage win? He looked like he'd eaten one too many Belgian Buns! Too be fair though, he's 65 whereas Chris Boardman is only 41, a year older than Jason Queally, who's aiming to get into the squad for the 2012 Olympics!
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    Ok i'm a bit of a TdF noob so can someone explain what's going on with the green sprinting jersey.

I would have expected Cavendish (currently on 1pt) to be a bit closer up there for it with Hushovd (currently on 63pts) but alas he isn't. Is it possible for him to still win it given he's already given away a 62 point lead? If not what's he playing at? I mean if he's not contesting the green jersey why is he there as I understand he's lacking when it comes to the climbing so he's never going to win the overall.
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • bigmat
    anton1r wrote:
    Ok i'm a bit of a TdF noob so can someone explain what's going on with the green sprinting jersey.

I would have expected Cavendish (currently on 1pt) to be a bit closer up there for it with Hushovd (currently on 63pts) but alas he isn't. Is it possible for him to still win it given he's already given away a 62 point lead? If not what's he playing at? I mean if he's not contesting the green jersey why is he there as I understand he's lacking when it comes to the climbing so he's never going to win the overall.

Its actually a jersey for the most consistent finisher on a stage, rather than a "sprinter's" jersey, although it is weighted towards sprinters with the intermediate points (sprints mid-way through a stage). So far, Cav has been unlucky on stage 1 (got caught out in the run in), lucky on stage 2 (was way off the back but the stage was "neutralised" because of all the crashes) and well beaten by Hushovd yesterday (Cav did OK, but Thor is a great cobbles rider).

It hasn't been Cav's year so far, I think already the 62 point gap looks very difficult to cross. He should still pick up a few stages though, hopefully starting today, and Hushovd has to finish which is no certainty (just ask Frank Schleck!) so the green jersey isn't quite over.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    ITV streaming coverage up and running

http://www.itv.com/sport/tourdefrance/live/
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    MatHammond wrote:
    It hasn't been Cav's year so far, I think already the 62 point gap looks very difficult to cross. He should still pick up a few stages though, hopefully starting today, and Hushovd has to finish which is no certainty (just ask Frank Schleck!) so the green jersey isn't quite over.

Now a 65 point lead after today's stage. Doesn't look like Cav has the lead out team that he had last year....

Overall points standing: 1. Hushovd 80 pts2. Petacchi 70 pts 3. McEwen 62 pts4. Thomas 56 pts 5. Rojas 49 pts
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Cav will retire before the mountains the way it's going for him so far. He can already kiss the Green Jersey goodbye.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Gussio wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:

Now a 65 point lead after today's stage. Doesn't look like Cav has the lead out team that he had last year....

Overall points standing: 1. Hushovd 80 pts2. Petacchi 70 pts 3. McEwen 62 pts4. Thomas 56 pts 5. Rojas 49 pts

Its not the lead out team that's the problem, its the person they are leading out.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    amnezia wrote:
    Gussio wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:

Its not the lead out team that's the problem, its the person they are leading out.
    He needs a scouser perm. That's what he's missing.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,356
    amnezia wrote:

+1

He was just about able to get round Renshaw
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    Maybe HTC should have taken Greipel instead. Germans are good at winning stuff.
  • Orleandrew
    CrackFox wrote:
    Maybe HTC should have taken Greipel instead. Germans are good at winning stuff.

Well timed kiss of death there :lol: