Tour De France 2010 - *May contain spoilers*

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,356
    MatHammond wrote:
    Still, as Gabriel says, who is clean? I think we have to suspend our disbelief a little to really enjoy the race, but then certain riders get vilified and others don't - that's the bit I find a bit confusing. :?

No Matt it's the vilification of other posters which is confusing
    Imagine all the posters, living life in peace. Some people say Tailwindhome is a dreamer. But he's not the only one.
    #

It's easy if you try
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    If AC has a mechanical during the ITT, will AS wait for him?

That'll just be payback; and that's OK. What goes around comes around. ;)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    MatHammond wrote:
    no smoking pistolero

:D Like that one.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    gabriel959 wrote:
    'chaingate'

I started that

hehehehehe

Did you?

I saw it on Twitter.

Well aren't you just the man.

I was referring to this thread and the fact the a couple of other posters have repeated it.

Are you having a really bad day, you seem angry and tense?

Feel free to use this thread to let it all out.

he, you could say that...

I am sorry if it came out badly. You might have started it all in Twitter mind you :):wink:
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • tailwindhome
    Stage 17

As Andy would put it, it's time to go 'all in'.

I can't make up my mind if I'm following the action today or waiting to watch it 'as live' with Phil and Paul tonight.

Had a sneaky peak just to see if the sprinters would contest the intermediate sprint at 30 km. They don't seem to be.

A break is 1m30s off the front, including Sky's Flecha and EBH.

I didn't think those guys would be realistically expecting to win on the Tourmalet, is this just a 'sponsor's break' or are they trying to set something up for Wiggins?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    A bit OT but does anyone know where I can get a more affordable version of the classification jerseys (Yellow, Green), the proper ones are like £70 which is a bit much.

NB I do realise how much of a tool I'll look like struggling away from the lights in a green jersey! :lol:
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • Agent57
    anton1r wrote:
    NB I do realise how much of a tool I'll look like struggling away from the lights in a green jersey! :lol:

Not as much as I would, trying to climb in a polka dot jersey. =)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Samu crashed badly. He is with the peloton but looks in pain. Shame.

Sastre is trying to catch up with the break (about 3 min back)

It is wet, although apparently is clearing up near the Tourmalet and no mor rain expected although it should still make the difficult descent of the Marie-Blanque interesting.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Samu crashed badly. He is with the peloton but looks in pain. Shame.

Sastre is trying to catch up with the break (about 3 min back)

It is wet, although apparently is clearing up near the Tourmalet and no mor rain expected although it should still make the difficult descent of the Marie-Blanque interesting.

Nice to see the peleton wait for Sanchez. It is raining again...
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    gabriel959 wrote:
    All this stuff about ‘noble tradition of not taking advantage of another's misfortune’, ‘big No No to attack the Yellow Jersey when the rider has a crash or mechanical’, ‘unwritten rule in the peloton that you did not capitalise on someone else's crash or mechanical’, “etiquette’, etc, is nonsense.
    It’s a race and all competitors have to take it how it comes, including rivals taking advantage when they can.

It’s wrong to say ‘the players of TDF used to have a gamesmanship not found in other sports’, this approach never really existed in past decades, at least to the extent that some people now believe.
    Merckx didn’t wait for Ocana when he punctured, Thevenet for Merckx when he was attacked by a spectator, Zoetemelk for Hinault when he punctured, Roche for Bernard when he punctured, Chiappucci for Lemond when he punctured, etc.

The idea of waiting only really took over during the Armstrong years, when on the one hand LA almost demanded it from others or, in order to appear magnanimous, granted it to certain others (but only in hypocritical fashion, i.e. not to all rivals), while on the other hand the media played up this notion to suggest the sport still had some ideals despite doping scandals

Those who should know best, ex-riders Hinault, Bernard, Jalabert and Bruyneel, have all stated what Contador did is quite legitimate.
    One of them also pointed out that if people expected Contador to wait, where do you draw the line, because Menchov and Sanchez would have heard through their earpieces what had happened.

Fair enough comments. Where did the quote come from, please?
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Gussio wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    All this stuff about ‘noble tradition of not taking advantage of another's misfortune’, ‘big No No to attack the Yellow Jersey when the rider has a crash or mechanical’, ‘unwritten rule in the peloton that you did not capitalise on someone else's crash or mechanical’, “etiquette’, etc, is nonsense.
    It’s a race and all competitors have to take it how it comes, including rivals taking advantage when they can.

It’s wrong to say ‘the players of TDF used to have a gamesmanship not found in other sports’, this approach never really existed in past decades, at least to the extent that some people now believe.
    Merckx didn’t wait for Ocana when he punctured, Thevenet for Merckx when he was attacked by a spectator, Zoetemelk for Hinault when he punctured, Roche for Bernard when he punctured, Chiappucci for Lemond when he punctured, etc.

The idea of waiting only really took over during the Armstrong years, when on the one hand LA almost demanded it from others or, in order to appear magnanimous, granted it to certain others (but only in hypocritical fashion, i.e. not to all rivals), while on the other hand the media played up this notion to suggest the sport still had some ideals despite doping scandals

Those who should know best, ex-riders Hinault, Bernard, Jalabert and Bruyneel, have all stated what Contador did is quite legitimate.
    One of them also pointed out that if people expected Contador to wait, where do you draw the line, because Menchov and Sanchez would have heard through their earpieces what had happened.

Fair enough comments. Where did the quote come from, please?

Another poster somewhere on the Road Forums. Pretty authoritative, therefore.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • tailwindhome
    From Nicolas Roche's website, referring to an incident on the same stage as 'chaingate'.
    Having punctured on the climb, I had asked my team-mate John Gadret to give me his front wheel. He refused, kept riding and even went on the attack as I was trying to get back on. He defied team orders to wait and help me up to the group and, as a result, I spent the rest of the stage chasing on my own, losing almost eight minutes and dropping to 17th overall.

I was so angry I had to travel in the team car to the hotel, as Gadret was on the bus and I was afraid we would come to blows. Last night we had a team de-briefing after the stage and myself and John both had a chance to explain what happened on the road earlier. I gave my piece; that I was team leader, lying 14th on the stage, with a good chance to go into the top 10 and that (a) Gadret refused to give me his wheel when I punctured; (b) he attacked the front group while I was trying to get back on and (c) he had ignored team orders to wait and help me to the group in front.

Contrary to some reports, Gadret didn't say that he hadn't got his earpiece in or didn't hear instructions over the team radio. His explanation was that he was defending his position overall. At the start of the day he was 23rd, 13 minutes and 50 seconds behind then race leader Andy Schleck and was best French rider overall, ahead of Christophe LeMevel of Francaise De Jeux. He also said he was defending the team's overall position. We began the stage fourth overall in the team category, nearly 19 minutes behind leaders Caisse Depargne and it's highly unlikely we'd catch them
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Cancellara doing his stuff again. That man is noble. It's the only word for it. (Even if it might not be the correct word. Ahem :oops: )
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    13km to go and neither of them has made a hint of a move...
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Too far out, too many still in the group... fuglsang the last saxo super-domestique is now on the front
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    *boom*
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    What's happening, WHAT'S HAPPENING!

For the love of god tell me what's happening!!!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jonginge
    fuglsang dropped off, job done. Schlecklet attacks immediately taking AC with him. They're out front leaving all in their wake.

Schleck pushing on, not really attacking yet. Looking to gain time on Sanchez/Menchov before the TT
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • anton1r
    Go on Mr Schlek...

Attacked at 10kms to go. Only Bertie C followed these two now going toe toe with everyone else behind, 8.5km to go!
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • DonDaddyD
    Just read the live feed.

Now if Contador was a real man, a proper 'balls deep alpha male', he'd attack Shcleck (doesn't have to), win the stage (doesn't have to) and put so much time into him neither the TT or chaingate would or could matter.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jonginge
    letour saying AS/AC have made a minute on the chase group in 2km :shock:
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • DonDaddyD
    I can do that.
    Food Chain number = 4

• anton1r
    edited July 2010
    JonGinge wrote:
    letour saying AS/AC have made a minute on the chase group in 2km :shock:

I seen that as well... did think it was kinda quick! :shock:

DDD, i cant! :lol:
  • Agent57
    Is there a time bonus on the finish?
  • DonDaddyD
    MTFU,

Whatever the outcome Andy Schleck has truly come of age on this tour compared to last years when he seemed a little unsure about his ability.

May always be second best to Contador but may also be the peoples favourite - everyone likes an underdog...
    Food Chain number = 4

• jonginge
    Agent57 wrote:
    Is there a time bonus on the finish?
    No, not since 2007
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I know it's all part of the tour, but the spectators running alongside the riders scare me :(
  • jonginge
    erm, no gifts?
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    AC more like Big Mig than LA...
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Greg66 wrote:
    Let's have your predictions for tomorrow.

AC to win the stage with an trademark attack on the Tourmalet.

AS to lose enough time so 'chaingate' becomes irrelevant

This is always fun.

SaxoBank and Astana will vie to set the pace up at the beginning of the climb. Astana will be left standing after that fight. AS will attack, and attack and attack. AC will follow, follow, follow.

AC follow AS over the line; possibly try to outsprint him, but I think more likely he'll sit in.

Then AC will seal it in the ITT, taking enough time to make chaingate irrelevant.

Am I right so far? 8)
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A