south wales Rides?

Comments

• lol, i'm already last up the hill :lol::lol:

Want to try and do 2 runs yeah, never attempted but always wanted to.

Won't be going on the DH, wasn't too fun on the Boardman hahaha!
  • Welsh_Tom
    Welsh_Tom Posts: 571
    ianm59 wrote:
    HI all. Darren Fiddlers Elbow is the roundabout off the main r/about on 470 for aberdare/ Nelson. Turn towards Nelson and its the r/about just after the bridge. Cars usually parked 1st off r/a towards Fiddlers Elbow, Mertrhyr Vale..
    Those vids are good. Some differant lines there. I notice you took the shorter red route below the tunnel, is that easier, better?
    Wish I could have made it today, weather was stunning this afternoon. :cry:
    Anyone up for a spot of Cwmcarn D/H tomorrow evening ? 8) Get to CC about 6.maybe earlier. Cant do Tuesday as I am having my back injection on Tuesday :(
    What do you guys reckon that if the weather isnt that good on Sunday. We do the normal route at Nant then pack up and do Climax. Dont mind drizzle but not chucking it down.

we can kel are going up at 4. but i can message him and see if he can do 6. i would like to do the xc run over the dh again, but whatever :lol:

how much of that tape do you have btw? and how much for it?
  • Welsh_Tom
    lol, i'm already last up the hill :lol::lol:

Want to try and do 2 runs yeah, never attempted but always wanted to.

Won't be going on the DH, wasn't too fun on the Boardman hahaha!

doh got my days mixxed up i am working till 4 that day. so if anyone abotu for 6 i could do that. 3 rides in 3 days. think my legs will be fked by then
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    I'll be up for two loops, can take a bit more food etc I'm off all week so I'm in no rush. Weather looks good for Sunday.

I'll take the challenge to be slowest up, it will be a fierce battle
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • Welsh_Tom
    I'll be up for two loops, can take a bit more food etc I'm off all week so I'm in no rush. Weather looks good for Sunday.

I'll take the challenge to be slowest up, it will be a fierce battle

you able to come with me and kel and ian tomorrow?
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Can't do tomorrow dude, think Wednesday will be the next run. You out then?
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    no riding for me this week guys (suprise suprise) working late most nights, i will be out on the weekend proabably but most of you will be at nant anyway :lol:
  • Welsh_Tom
    Can't do tomorrow dude, think Wednesday will be the next run. You out then?

working till 4 then free. i may be raining
  • oldstyle
    oldstyle Posts: 48
    cwmc for 4pm for me today ... :o
  • Welsh_Tom
    i will be there kel...
  • Welsh_Tom
    Should of gone this morning. Look at it now this is a joke. If I had some wp's it would help.
  • Silversladey
    Silversladey Posts: 450
    OK guys the hunt has started for a new ride.

I will probably post this on the Buying Advice forum but I wanted feedback from the people who I no, respect and have ridden with.

Looks like the insurance company are going to cough up and replace my bike.However due to the upgrades on my old Zesty and the other bikes stolen they look likely to offer me vouchers to be redeemed at Wheelies. A cash alternative may be offered but it will be less.

I have had a look at the limited selection from wheelies and with the vouchers and some of my hard earned savings i have shortlisted these bikes, obviously model selection is dependent on insurance settlement.

Giant Anthem
    Scott Spark
    Cannondale RZ One

is 100mm of travel enough

Lapierre Zesty
    Orange 5
    Giant Trance

So if any of you have got or ridden one of these bikes please post.

Please feel free to chip in with any of
    Wheelies other models.

P.S.
    This could all fall through if the insurance company decide to bend me over, Apollo here I come :D:D
  • ianm59
    ianm59 Posts: 168
    Weather will be fine by 6, trust me :roll:
    Me Sean and Ian g will be there. Doing the XC up then the DH. Should be a good giggle.
    Taking the Wolfridge and flats this time.
    Tom you still going at 6?
  • Welsh_Tom
    I dont know. I not sure I wont to do the dh in this rain lol.
  • welshkev
    sladey: i think wheelies and tredz are owned by the same company, i may call into tredz after work to ask...

if they are they stock: cubes and specialized as well :D
  • welshkev
    how much travel you want on the full suss? 120mm enough? the spesh camber looks nice...

the giant trance x2 looks good aswell, but why not just buy another zesty? you loved that bike 8)
  • ianm59
    ianm59 Posts: 168
    Silversladey.
    Sorry to hear about the nicked bikes.
    You are now entering into a big debate about bikes.
    Personally, id think 100mm is not enough, I realise that loads of peeps would disagree with me but having recently gone from a 100mm full sus to a 140mm full sus, the difference is very noticable. I havent got enough skill to ride a 100mm bike like a 140mm. There are so many ligtweight 120-140 mm bikes around and not that many being bad, the skies the limit. Dont think you will beat the Zesty. Check out the Spesh too, maybe the Camber or the Stumpjumper FSR. May suit you. You are more than welcome to try mine if you would like. Try it around CC.
  • Silversladey
    ianm59 wrote:
    Silversladey.
    Personally, id think 100mm is not enough, I realise that loads of peeps would disagree with me but having recently gone from a 100mm full sus to a 140mm full sus, the difference is very noticable. I havent got enough skill to ride a 100mm bike like a 140mm. There are so many ligtweight 120-140 mm bikes around and not that many being bad, the skies the limit. Dont think you will beat the Zesty. Check out the Spesh too, maybe the Camber or the Stumpjumper FSR. May suit you. You are more than welcome to try mine if you would like. Try it around CC.

That is what I am worried about, I am limited downhill and worried about struggling on a 100mm bike. After trying Gareth's' Zesty 514 i really liked the fork, but cant afford that model. I would love to try your Spesh out if that is ok
  • welshkev
    ianm59 wrote:
    Silversladey.

That is what I am worried about, I am limited downhill and worried about struggling on a 100mm bike. After trying Gareth's' Zesty 514 i really liked the fork, but cant afford that model. I would love to try your Spesh out if that is ok

i agree with ian that 100mm is not enough, after riding my hardtail around cwmcarn..it was ok, but that final descent rattled my teeth out and my arms were killing, after being used to 140mm it was a world of difference
  • Silversladey
    I rode Gareth's Rockhopper today, lovely bike fast as anything through the woods but the final descent on a 100mm hardtail nearly killed me.
    That said the Anthem is really popular and with the 100mm on the back could it be enough?
  • Welsh_Tom
    You should try my 60mm fork then you lot will not have anything to worry about.
  • welshkev
    edited June 2011
    I rode Gareth's Rockhopper today, lovely bike fast as anything through the woods but the final descent on a 100mm hardtail nearly killed me.
    That said the Anthem is really popular and with the 100mm on the back could it be enough?

me personally i'd say no, but go and have a look at one and give it a ride see how it feels :D

i think a 120mm camber would be ok if you were looking at dropping down a bit, i think they're around £1800, the same a s a zesty 214 though :?

EDIT:

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p38748/Specia ... -2011.aspx
    http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p38747/Specia ... -2011.aspx
  • welshkev
    Welsh_Tom wrote:

you're gonna notice so much difference tom, you'll be flying along...and crashing more...well i was first of all when i upgraded to a good bike cos my bike was/is better than me :lol:
  • Silversladey
    Welsh_Tom wrote:

:D:D

My Kona was 60mm, but i was in my early 20's. And for the record if I had the cash i would be buying a Canyon.
  • Pr][nCe
    Pr][nCe Posts: 626
    I think 140mm travel on the front forks was the norm, these days 160mm are getting pushed by the industry, as i see more and more trails going from xc to xc etreme-freeride, most the stuff we ride is xc - freeride, and with the big guns coming out 160mm +. i think 140mm should be the shortest travel you look at. and i think they are now in a real good price bracket.

as for bike choice, well so much choice, its just mind boggling. go with the best you can afford at the time, get out to some demo days, ride m8s bikes.

BUT HURRY UP :)
    Santacruz Heckler - 2010
    http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s195 ... =slideshow
    Santacruz Chameleon - 2005
    Cannondale F400 - 2003
  • ti man
    ti man Posts: 41
    Welsh_Tom wrote:

:D:D

My Kona was 60mm, but i was in my early 20's. And for the record if I had the cash i would be buying a Canyon.

If you are offered a cash alternative it seems to me as if these bikes can't put a tyre wrong :wink: And thats the entire range. http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 0-11-40125
  • ti man
    ti man Posts: 41
    ianm59 wrote:
    Paul, well gutted over the bikes mate, hope you get some compensation for them.Sorry I missed you this weekend guys, working :(
    Right then guys NANT Y ARIAN Sean and I are taking our cars. Hopefully Paul will loan is his racks.
    We will be taking in my car, Paul, Gareth and Darren.
    Seans car, Ian G, Ashley & Nathan
    I believe that Ben and James are travelling together.
    We have worked out fuel cost for Sean and my car, and it will be £10 each. Hope thats OK guys but its a fair old way.
    Darren Would it be ok to maybe meet at the Fiddlers Elbow rounabout to pick you up. Then we can all meet on the A470 somewhere. Meet around 8.30 ish That should get us there around 10.30 :D

Looks like all the seats are taken :( Might be up for this weather permitting. I will just follow you lot up.
  • Anyone go today?

Been pissing it down in Ystrad Mynach since about 3pm!
  • Welsh_Tom
    Anyone go today?

kel went at 4, i was running late due to rl so was sitting in my car till 4:30 on phone, desided by then not to bother. some guys are going up now for 6, kel told me not to bother the track is more like a river :lol:

1 waisted day off. can not wait for new bike,. it was so nice at 10am i was wun bithing :lol:
  • Silversladey
    Welsh_Tom wrote:
    Anyone go today?

kel went at 4, i was running late due to rl so was sitting in my car till 4:30 on phone, desided by then not to bother. some guys are going up now for 6, kel told me not to bother the track is more like a river :lol:

1 waisted day off. can not wait for new bike,. it was so nice at 10am i was wun bithing :lol:

Yes and the trail was bone dry @ 10 this morning