Any word from Cav yet?

12346»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,228
    You would need proof but he'd be giving that if he said "sorry it was my fault entirely" there wouldn't need to be proof of intent just that his actions led to someone suffering a loss. Not trying to excuse him, some of his actions this season have been childish at best but I really don't see why he should admit sole responsibility for a racing accident. How many other riders have apologies demanded from them after a crash? It's not like he has a history of causing pile ups.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Good luck to Cav at the TDF. Gripele will be on his way...Cav is naturally fast...but his kick won't last into his late 20s so that guys got to hoover the wins up in the next 3 years IMO. IMO unless Cav is weird he'll be greatly affected on the home front if has a brother in the jail-that could be hard to live with or forget about no matter how important your career is

Cavendish doesn't appear to give a damn about his family, so I'm not sure that will affect him at all.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I'm not sure that's the case Monkeypump. We can review footage of crashes here but speculating on his thoughts about family life is harder.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    Kléber wrote:
    I'm not sure that's the case Monkeypump. We can review footage of crashes here but speculating on his thoughts about family life is harder.
    True enough. Then again...

THE MONTH is July 2009. Cavendish has arrived in Monaco for the start of his third Tour de France. He wins the opening stage to Brignoles, the second stage to La Grande Motte, the 10th stage to Issoudon, then equals Barry Hoban’s record of eight career stage wins at Saint-Fargeau. The commentators are unanimous in their praise: “Is Mark Cavendish the greatest sprinter of all time?”

His parents announce that they have booked tickets for Paris — the first time in his professional career that they will travel to see him race. Cavendish is not happy. “Why Paris?” he wonders. “Why now? Why haven’t they come to support me in the mountains when I’m suffering?” But mostly he resents the distraction. He wins the 19th stage to Aubenas and captures his sixth stage of the race with a breathtaking victory on the Champs Elysees.

The race has ended. He is making his way to the podium surrounded by journalists and officials when a member of his team announces that his mother is here. He’s figured it out. He has also decided that he doesn’t want to see her. He returns to the team hotel and prepares to hit the tiles with his teammates, the people who were with him in the mountains. They celebrate long into the night. At 7am he returns to his room to find a note under the door from his father: “Hi, Mark, just wanted to see you.” But this is not a time for regret. He packs a suitcase for Germany and a week of tiring engagements.

From The Sunday Times
    April 18, 2010
  • Monkeypump
    Kléber wrote:
    True enough. Then again...

THE MONTH is July 2009. Cavendish has arrived in Monaco for the start of his third Tour de France. He wins the opening stage to Brignoles, the second stage to La Grande Motte, the 10th stage to Issoudon, then equals Barry Hoban’s record of eight career stage wins at Saint-Fargeau. The commentators are unanimous in their praise: “Is Mark Cavendish the greatest sprinter of all time?”

His parents announce that they have booked tickets for Paris — the first time in his professional career that they will travel to see him race. Cavendish is not happy. “Why Paris?” he wonders. “Why now? Why haven’t they come to support me in the mountains when I’m suffering?” But mostly he resents the distraction. He wins the 19th stage to Aubenas and captures his sixth stage of the race with a breathtaking victory on the Champs Elysees.

The race has ended. He is making his way to the podium surrounded by journalists and officials when a member of his team announces that his mother is here. He’s figured it out. He has also decided that he doesn’t want to see her. He returns to the team hotel and prepares to hit the tiles with his teammates, the people who were with him in the mountains. They celebrate long into the night. At 7am he returns to his room to find a note under the door from his father: “Hi, Mark, just wanted to see you.” But this is not a time for regret. He packs a suitcase for Germany and a week of tiring engagements.

From The Sunday Times
    April 18, 2010

Exactly. There was also a story about his brother wanting to meet up and borrow a suit for an interview, but Cavendish didn't bother. Can't remember where I read that.

I don't know any better, but it does appear that his family aren't high on the Cavendish List of Priorities.
  • Kléber
    I think he's expressed regrets for that. Not saying he's ideal but he might have issues and things we can't understand, yet alone judge.
  • Monkeypump
    Kléber wrote:
    I think he's expressed regrets for that. Not saying he's ideal but he might have issues and things we can't understand, yet alone judge.

Fair enough if that's the case.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    I didn't want to get dragged into this, but the regrets were expressed pretty much directly after the snipped quote up there, and the article paints him out to be someone who needs people constantly telling him he's wrong, as in the Tour of Romandy and the Tour de Suisse to drive him on to achieve.

It's an almost classic case of a kid coming from a family where his parents divorced when he was young and he had to fight to prove himself to everyone. I've seen it in my friends time after time
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Many of these latter posts are very harsh.

Commenting on how he conducts himself as a bike rider/big-name is one thing, but expanding such searing critisism to his private/family life away from the peleton is quite another.

On/around the bike, he certainly comes across as a complete bell-end. Off the bike is entirely his own business.
  • Kléber
    Decent write-up from Cycling Weekly on Cav at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/com ... mment.html
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    That is a good piece - balanced and objective.
    Hasn't changed my opinion of him one bit, though.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Of course it won't. No-one changes their opinion these days, do they?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    hahahaha 'daylight-deprived forum people' :) do you think he's a lurker? hi Mark!
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    patchy wrote:
    hahahaha 'daylight-deprived forum people' :) do you think he's a lurker? hi Mark!

Isn't looking at what people are saying about you on the internet like knocking one out while looking at yourself in the mirror?

If anyone has read the new Pro Cycling mag - Cavendish really does himself absolutely no favours sometimes.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    iainf72 wrote:
    patchy wrote:

Isn't looking at what people are saying about you on the internet like knocking one out while looking at yourself in the mirror?

If anyone has read the new Pro Cycling mag - Cavendish really does himself absolutely no favours sometimes.

you sure you aren't Mark Cavendish, playing some fiendish double-bluff? You really are an evil genius, aren't you Cav...
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • iainf72
    patchy wrote:

you sure you aren't Mark Cavendish, playing some fiendish double-bluff? You really are an evil genius, aren't you Cav...

*spits on patchys avatar*

Don't be critical, you know nothing about cycling...

:lol:
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
  • iainf72
    johnfinch wrote:

Yeah, but we all know Pippo likes to gob on people too, so he's not about to start pitching rocks about in his glass house, is he?
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    iainf72 wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

Yeah, but we all know Pippo likes to gob on people too, so he's not about to start pitching rocks about in his glass house, is he?

It was more about the accident than the aftermath.

Has anybody actually got any proof of Cav spitting on Haussler - you know, photos or something like that? I can't believe that the world's best sprinter and a Tour de France stage winner going down hard in the final 50m wouldn't have at least a few cameras trained on them all the time.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    johnfinch wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

It was more about the accident than the aftermath.

Has anybody actually got any proof of Cav spitting on Haussler - you know, photos or something like that? I can't believe that the world's best sprinter and a Tour de France stage winner going down hard in the final 50m wouldn't have at least a few cameras trained on them all the time.

no proof needed, hearsay from unknown sources is enough to condemn on here! chinese whispers becomes gospel.