Any word from Cav yet?

warrior4life
warrior4life Posts: 925
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Has he been interviewed yat about the crash? And official word from the man himself yet?

Comments

• pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Some comments have him being quoted as being "very angry".
    No surprise there then!
    Seems to be a bit bashed up, but nothing broken (apart from his bike), so onward and upward I would assume...
  • k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    just seen that pic, hope he can sleep on his front!
    who cares?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,228
    Looks painful. He was apparently due to ride today - must be tempting to withdraw but I guess he still has some work to do before the TdF start.
  • Italiano
    Italiano Posts: 75

Keeping a straight line would have avoided it.
  • ProBiker
    ProBiker Posts: 74
    To be fair, I think Haussler changed his racing line just as much as Cav did.

That's bike racing.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I must say Farrar looks to be about the only sprinter on form, winning and trouble free this year. Maybe a good shout for Green?

Strava is not Zen.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    edited June 2010
    Italiano wrote:
    Keeping a straight line would have avoided it.
    We know form the way he almost put Hushovd into the barriers in last year's Tout that riding in a straight line is not one of Cavendish's strong points...

Cavendish fined for causing Suisse sprint crash

British sprinter Mark Cavendish (HTC-Columbia) has been penalised by the Tour de Suisse race jury for causing a crash at the end of Tuesday's stage four.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... crash.html
  • BikingBernie
    Some comments have him being quoted as being "very angry".
    Shouldn't it be those who he took down who should be feeling angry?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Various reactions and some good photos:

http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=17104
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    ProBiker wrote:

:?:

No way. Cavendish swerved way off his line, Haussler only slightly after passing Ciolek moving back to the right when Cavendish came storming left. Cavendish, and Cavendish alone was responsible for that crash. That being said, It didn't appear malicious or intentional, and I feel for anyone who came down. No reason for Cavendish to be 'angry' though, other than with himself.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Nice skills by John Anthony Fletcher
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    It did seem to be Cav at fault, although there was a healthy slice of bad luck in there too. I don't know why he decided to sprint in such a diagonal line after passing Ciolek. I can only assume he was trying to get on Haussler's wheel, but misjudged his speed as he was already moving past Haussler at that point. The bad luck was that they were perfectly out of phase with each other such that when Cav's bike swung left, Haussler's swang right (and both to a rather extreme degree) resulting in the touch of wheels. Still, it could all have been avoided if Cav had just sprinted straight, there was no need to press Haussler the way he did.
  • BikingBernie
    FJS wrote:
    Cavendish swerved way off his line, Haussler only slightly after passing Ciolek moving back to the right when Cavendish came storming left. Cavendish, and Cavendish alone was responsible for that crash.
    Agreed.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    pomtarr wrote:

Puts his head down and goes for it!

Is his direction determined by the Force :?:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • colint
    colint Posts: 1,707
    He rode like a knob yesterday, should just hold his hands up and admit it
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • CarbonCopy
    CarbonCopy Posts: 492
    I agree Cav ruined that race and it was because he knows young haussleur is getting better faster,fitter, stronger.Cav just showed his insecurities when he pulled accross.
    If Cav was the best sprinter he would never of needed to pull accross to squeeze the other rider.Cav your just lucky some one didn`t ride over your wind pipe :lol:
  • BikingBernie
    CarbonCopy wrote:
    I agree Cav ruined that race and it was because he knows young haussleur is getting better faster,fitter, stronger.Cav just showed his insecurities when he pulled accross.
    Yes, it looks like he knew he didn't have the speed he needed so instead tried to 'lean' on Haussler in an attempt to make him back off a little. A very stupid and unsporting thing to do.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    CarbonCopy wrote:
    If Cav was the best sprinter he would never of needed to pull accross to squeeze the other rider.Cav your just lucky some one didn`t ride over your wind pipe :lol:

Disagree.

He had enough speed to close the gap to shoulder to shoulder, Haussler was fading. Still Cav's fault but sprinting is a physical contest as much as one of speed, leaning on your rivals is commonplace, if you can show me a sprinter who never resorts to such tactics, I'll be surprised.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    FJS wrote:
    ProBiker wrote:

:?:

No way. Cavendish swerved way off his line, Haussler only slightly after passing Ciolek moving back to the right when Cavendish came storming left. Cavendish, and Cavendish alone was responsible for that crash. That being said, It didn't appear malicious or intentional, and I feel for anyone who came down. No reason for Cavendish to be 'angry' though, other than with himself.

Not so sure about the unintentional part..yeah sure he didn't mean to crash or bring any one down but it looks to me as thou he wanted to overlap and force haussler to come round

definitely his fault either way
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,228
    He didn't "swerve way off his line" - he started off on a diagonal line and kept going on it. Still his fault (as we live in a blame culture) although Haussler was also on a slightly diagonal line but nowhere near the same degree. I'm not sure if he thought he was past Haussler. The finish area was poor anyway, why do they funnel riders down like that in the finish area? It caused a crash even at low speed the previous time through the line. Likewise, the stage in last years Tour when he was DQd he was sprinting parallel to the barriers while Thor sprint parallel to the kerbline. If they need to narrow the road at the finish line just keep it constant for the final 400m or so.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    CarbonCopy wrote:

Disagree.

He had enough speed to close the gap to shoulder to shoulder, Haussler was fading. Still Cav's fault but sprinting is a physical contest as much as one of speed, leaning on your rivals is commonplace, if you can show me a sprinter who never resorts to such tactics, I'll be surprised.

+1
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • CarbonCopy
    CarbonCopy wrote:

Disagree.
    Thats what forums are for to agree or disagree fare doo`s
    but your wrong :lol:

• CarbonCopy
    Never ever will all peaple see things how they are.
    Peaple tend to see things how they are and use the morales than have been taught and handed down by our parents
    So it`s nice to hear how other peaple see things and i respect that and try to learn from them.
  • ProBiker
    ProBiker Posts: 74
    Here's a much more detailed video of the finish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RNAYR3KPIg

I still say it 50/50 cav and haussler.......
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    DaveyL wrote:
    Nice skills by John Anthony Fletcher
    Must have had someone watching over him to ride right through the middle of the carnage without hitting anything or anyone
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    ProBiker wrote:
    Freeze it at 1.06 - Haussler gets a faceful of Ciolek's rear derailleur - ouch....
    "Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Bl00dy hell! Some strong feelings on here about a bike crash!
    Cav may have made a mistake, it may be just unfortunate. I'm sure it wasn't deliberate. It was a racing incident.

Just glad no one was seriously hurt.