Any word from Cav yet?

Comments

• timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    I find all this protest stuff a bit rich. I've watched pro-cycling for years and there has always been leaning, elbows and sometimes throwing stuff in a sprint. I fail to recall 2 minute protests at other sprinters who cause problems/crashes, mainly because they are all up to it.

Never saw Abdu spit on a guy that was down. Elbows and knees in the sprint is fair enough.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    edited June 2010
    Kléber wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    This soft riders in 2010 need to HTFU. Someone should've smacked Cavendish around the ears post stage and then we could all move on.
    Riders instead held a two minute protest at the start of the stage...
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4557/ ... crash.aspx
    The fifth stage of the Tour de Suisse began with a two minute protest against what some teams described as the aggressive attitude of HTC-Columbia sprinter Mark Cavendish
    ...According to AFP, bystanders claimed that Cavendish spat on the ground in response to criticism from riders after Tuesday's incident.
    I give it three years and Cav will have a facial tattoo like David Clinger, spending his time racing for some a small team on the US circuit.

I think he is going to find hard winning with that sort of thing going on

Rare to see a protest aimed at a single rider....
    The thing that gets me is cycling has always been a sport where the cliché British thug has not been present and it's sad to see now Cav at times talking and behaving like one and living up to the low expectations I imagine some may have of us.
    Regardless of if this crash was his fault or not, I think his general attitude at times has p*ssed off others inside and outside the peloton for some time, so their protest comes as no surprise.
    Cav is a legend and his edge is clearly linked to his attitude, but he still needs to engage the brain a bit more; maybe follow Rooneys example a bit?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    edited June 2010
    Timoid. wrote:
    I find all this protest stuff a bit rich. I've watched pro-cycling for years and there has always been leaning, elbows and sometimes throwing stuff in a sprint. I fail to recall 2 minute protests at other sprinters who cause problems/crashes, mainly because they are all up to it.

Never saw Abdu spit on a guy that was down. Elbows and knees in the sprint is fair enough.

too busy catapulting himself into an ambulance...

seriously

is the spitting story true?

because that is well out of order if true (not least if it was his fault to start with)
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    wheres todays spoiler suisse thread?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • magicrhodes
    magicrhodes Posts: 123
    I don't and won't condone spitting but there are already 2 different stories on the spitting some say on the floor, some say on Haussler. I won't critcise someone for hearsay.

I will critcise them for this though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXmXpDfW ... re=related
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,229
    Timoid. wrote:

Did you see that yesterday then? I saw reference to him apparently spitting on the ground when someone suggested it was his fault but that's not the same thing is it? If he spat at one of the other riders then I would expect a bigger fine and a ban if the rules permit. Where did you get this from? :?
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    edited June 2010
    Pross wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

Did you see that yesterday then? I saw reference to him apparently spitting on the ground when someone suggested it was his fault but that's not the same thing is it? If he spat at one of the other riders then I would expect a bigger fine and a ban if th

Pross

Posted 16 Jun 2010 14:28
    Timoid. wrote:
    magicrhodes wrote:

Did you see that yesterday then? I saw reference to him apparently spitting on the ground when someone suggested it was his fault but that's not the same thing is it? If he spat at one of the other riders then I would expect a bigger fine and a ban if the rules permit. Where did you get this from?

e rules permit. Where did you get this from? :?

off topic, but the numbers mean something

Pross, you're on 1984 posts...the year of the great achievement of your target 2 days ago... if Millar were involved now, trading on his cred, generally still trying to make a living from the sport , then you might, just might have some very thin ice to stand on...but even then you're still lacking decency. what a dirty sport for sure...Fignon's allegations re 1987 and Delgado in 1985 and 1989 Vuelta paying riders envelopes of cash, Moser getting mountain passes closed show-it was lawless. leave our heros alone from that era, esp when they seek no further part by the looks of it.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Let's not be too harsh.

1) He's had a lot of dental work and probably produces a huge amount of drool. It needs to go somewhere
    2) He spends the day riding along next to Lance. Spitting is just something you pick up.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dave_1
    iainf72 wrote:
    Let's not be too harsh.

1) He's had a lot of dental work and probably produces a huge amount of drool. It needs to go somewhere
    2) He spends the day riding along next to Lance. Spitting is just something you pick up.

I was surprised Hunt was one of thw two Cervelos who tried to hold up the start...clearly they're not mates..plenty others they could have picked. Cav is probably desperate to win...he's had a bad 6 months that winter..the dental work being the least of it
  • magicrhodes
    Irish chap on Eurosport just said Haussler was to blame for a slight coming together at the 200m mark which forced Cav across the road and all the footage of the last 50m is a little biased.

In a nut shell it is all part of sprinting
  • dave_1
    edited June 2010
    Sonny73 wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    This soft riders in 2010 need to HTFU. Someone should've smacked Cavendish around the ears post stage and then we could all move on.
    The fifth stage of the Tour de Suisse began with a two minute protest against what some teams described as the aggressive attitude of HTC-Columbia sprinter Mark Cavendish
    ...According to AFP, bystanders claimed that Cavendish spat on the ground in response to criticism from riders after Tuesday's incident.
    I give it three years and Cav will have a facial tattoo like David Clinger, spending his time racing for some a small team on the US circuit.

The thing that gets me is cycling has always been a sport where the cliché British thug has not been present and it's sad to see now Cav at times talking and behaving like one and living up to the low expectations I imagine some foreigners have of us.
    Regardless of if this crash was his fault or not, I think his general attitude at times has p*ssed off others inside and outside the peloton for some time, so their protest comes as no surprise.
    Cav is a legend and his edge is clearly linked to his attitude, but he still needs to engage the brain a bit more; maybe follow Rooneys example a bit?

foreignERS. Sorry, theERS is not good in the current day and age-racism , we are all very similar IMO!!!!! I live among them, am one and hate being called it

edit-by saying the current day and age I do not mean political correctness which is over the top at times. I mean the safety and welcome immigrant communities deserve wherever they are in our world is important and that word should not be used to them ever
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Irish chap on Eurosport just said Haussler was to blame for a slight coming together at the 200m mark which forced Cav across the road and all the footage of the last 50m is a little biased.

'Cept he ain't Irish but Scottish and posts on here!

Also, I thought it was Ciolek, not Haussler who forced Cav to the right. :?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    With regard to the 'protest' (though they must be white van men if they consider 2 minutes an inconvenience):

If it was a sh!t rider who never won anything who caused the crash, everyone would whine and that would be the end of it.

Because it's a guy who totally p!ssed on everyone elses parade bar Hushovd last year, and even then made him look like a geriatric, they're going to make a thing of it.
  • Pross
    Dave_1, I've sent you a pm, it appears you have misread / misunderstood my comments on the other thread! :?
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730

Cav tried to jump on to Ciolek's wheel but then Haussler came across and appeared to force Cav to swerve. Difficult to tell back there as there was no overhead.
  • magicrhodes
    With regard to the 'protest' (though they must be white van men if they consider 2 minutes an inconvenience):

If it was a sh!t rider who never won anything who caused the crash, everyone would whine and that would be the end of it.

Because it's a guy who totally p!ssed on everyone elses parade bar Hushovd last year, and even then made him look like a geriatric, they're going to make a thing of it.

+lots
  • magicrhodes

Oooops, my bad! :oops: What is his name?

Are you THE Blazing Saddles of Europsport
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    Bernardus wrote:
    Well, we can hardly argue that this would be out of character for Cavendish...
  • Sheptastic
    Sheptastic Posts: 298
    blah blah blah

even Mark Cavendish can make mistakes in a sprint. Its far more interesting to see how he will come back from this, rather than watching the slo-mo for the 50th time.

Gutted for Haussler though, having just returned from injury and all.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    Bernardus wrote:

really when was the last time he spat at someone?
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    camerone wrote:
    Bernardus wrote:
    Spitting at people, 'flicking the V's' at all and sundry, it is all typical yobbish behaviour.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    camerone wrote:
    Bernardus wrote:
    Spitting at people, 'flicking the V's' at all and sundry, it is all typical yobbish behaviour.

i dont know why you follow cycling, the only contributions i have ever seen you make are to criticise riders/ the sport in general. I recall people constantly criticising Martin Johnson for being too aggressive, it was that very aggression that made him the combative player he was, remove it and he wouldnt have been anything like the player he was.

i should add that if indeed he did spit at someone i do not condone it and it would be unacceptable behaviour, but there are conflicting reports and i think that the general attitude to Cavendish over this incident has been wholly blown out of proportion. the riders protesting is utter nonsense - but the last protest i remember was in defiance at Festinas treatment in the 98 tour, so riders have a history of protesting inappropriately
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I think the only thing that is certain is that it has been a very bad year for Cav. I for one am not expecting a repeat of last year's incredible Tour victories this time around. However, if he can salvage something there I will be as chuffed as mintballs.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    edited June 2010
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Sonny73 wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

The thing that gets me is cycling has always been a sport where the cliché British thug has not been present and it's sad to see now Cav at times talking and behaving like one and living up to the low expectations I imagine some foreigners have of us.

foreignERS. Sorry, theERS is not good in the current day and age-racism , we are all very similar IMO!!!!! I live among them, am one and hate being called it

edit-by saying the current day and age I do not mean political correctness which is over the top at times. I mean the safety and welcome immigrant communities deserve wherever they are in our world is important and that word should not be used to them ever

OK changed to may, no harm was intended and it was meant in a very literal sense.
  • mididoctors

smith was talking nonsense... probably for the British viewing public
  • Pross
    Or perhaps it was the considered OPINION of an experienced ex-pro which differs from yours? :wink:
  • mididoctors
    Pross wrote:
    Or perhaps it was the considered OPINION of an experienced ex-pro which differs from yours? :wink:

yeah but clearly my opinions carry more weight being as I am right

I've been paid to ride a bike :wink:
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Kléber wrote:

I am no Cav fan but there seems to be a lot of ridiculous over reactions going on here none more so that the nonsense above. I dont think Cav is as much at fault here as the bandwagon jumpers are making out.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gub
    camerone wrote:
    Bernardus wrote:

So no evidence of him spitting at anyone previously then ......glad we cleared that one up early enough.
  • moray_gub
    Pross wrote:

yeah but clearly my opinions carry more weight being as I am right

I've been paid to ride a bike :wink:

does that give you some sort of super dooper insight the rest of us dont have then ?