Any word from Cav yet?

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    camerone wrote:
    camerone wrote:
    Bernardus wrote:
    Well, we can hardly argue that this would be out of character for Cavendish...
    really when was the last time he spat at someone?
    Spitting at people, 'flicking the V's' at all and sundry, it is all typical yobbish behaviour.

i dont know why you follow cycling, the only contributions i have ever seen you make are to criticise riders/ the sport in general. I recall people constantly criticising Martin Johnson for being too aggressive, it was that very aggression that made him the combative player he was, remove it and he wouldnt have been anything like the player he was.

i should add that if indeed he did spit at someone i do not condone it and it would be unacceptable behaviour, but there are conflicting reports and i think that the general attitude to Cavendish over this incident has been wholly blown out of proportion. the riders protesting is utter nonsense - but the last protest i remember was in defiance at Festinas treatment in the 98 tour, so riders have a history of protesting inappropriately

history of protests in pro tour level racing-1991 Paris Nice over compulsory helmet wearing, and in the 1990 Giro the bunch would not race with Theunisse in the race, didn't start. get your Winning cyc mags out if you have them in the loft. Not everyone agreed with drugs back then I guess
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Or perhaps it was the considered OPINION of an experienced ex-pro which differs from yours? :wink:

yeah but clearly my opinions carry more weight being as I am right

I've been paid to ride a bike :wink:

does that give you some sort of super dooper insight the rest of us dont have then ?

other way round probably
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    Dave_1 wrote:

history of protests in pro tour level racing-1991 Paris Nice over compulsory helmet wearing, and in the 1990 Giro the bunch would not race with Theunisse in the race, didn't start. get your Winning cyc mags out if you have them in the loft. Not everyone agreed with drugs back then I guess

yeah that was a weird one

there was that half arsed protest by the french teams in 2007...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Some ridiculous anti-Cav sentiment on this thread. Obviously he didn't do it deliberatly, obviously he carries a degree of arrogance found in all successful atheletes. The fact is, he's a extremely talented British cyclist, God knows they're few and far between.

So stop over analysing his sprint, we weren't there, and even if we were, we would have been a long long way behind!

He's got my full support. And also the support of my wife!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Here's how I see it. It was a racing incident. Cavendish (won't call him Cav as that makes him sound all nice and fluffy) was going across the road but Haussler probably didn't help himself.

The backlash against Cavendish is probably just the result of a series of incidents and his behaviour in general. I've heard via someone "in the know" that he's not the most popular guy at the best of times, so something like this just could've magnified it.

It would've been easy to just say "I don't know what happened guys, I just lost sight of where I was and sorry about that"
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    iainf72 wrote:
    Here's how I see it. It was a racing incident. Cavendish (won't call him Cav as that makes him sound all nice and fluffy) was going across the road but Haussler probably didn't help himself.

The backlash against Cavendish is probably just the result of a series of incidents and his behaviour in general. I've heard via someone "in the know" that he's not the most popular guy at the best of times, so something like this just could've magnified it.

It would've been easy to just say "I don't know what happened guys, I just lost sight of where I was and sorry about that"

+1 ,

Cav could have got away without too much blame if he'd admitted drifting to his left. Abdu didn't blame anyone in Champs 1991. He had his head down. Cav could have just about got away with that. It's so obvious he cut off his line, as did Hassuler but by a lot less Hausssler did the max of what's allowed...
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Bl00dy hell! Some strong feelings on here about a bike crash!
    Cav may have made a mistake, it may be just unfortunate. I'm sure it wasn't deliberate. It was a racing incident.

Just glad no one was seriously hurt.
    Wise words ... just because your armchair holds it's line when your watching on your hd box, doesn't mean it's easy. When that boy goes, the only thing he sees is that line, it's pure instinct, anyone who suggests any malicious intent ... well just doesn't know sh1t !
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • paggnr
    paggnr Posts: 101
    clearly Cav fault not Hienriks - Cav is a menace in the sprint and he proves it every time.
    Cheers
    Pagey
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx
  • I seem to remember that someone worked out that Haussler would have won Milan San Remo last year if he had ridden straight and not deviated in the last 200m. He's hardly one to talk. They were both going straight, unfortunately they went straight into each other.
  • Sheptastic
    Sheptastic Posts: 298
    paggnr wrote:
    clearly Cav fault not Hienriks - Cav is a menace in the sprint and he proves it every time.

Troll much AUSTRALIAN?

an alternative veiwpoint would be to say that cav is willing to do whatever it takes to win a sprint (this is not an excuse to talk about doping).
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    paggnr wrote:
    what a load of rubbish. At his best he either rides the opposition off his wheel or passes them like they are standing still. Who did he endanger in the sprint on the Champs last year? Did his winning margin endanger the opposition with the onset of agoraphobia?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • brakelever
    brakelever Posts: 158
    mr cavendish does not endear himself to everybody , but he does bring a certain something to the party , dont think there has been so much interest in the world of sprinting for years , long may he continue to win sprints and races ,imagine how bland it would be without one or two little upsets now and again .

looked 50/50 to me .
  • El Imbatido
    El Imbatido Posts: 144
    We all know who was at fault........

Wiggle :lol::wink::D
    Do you have any Therapeutic Use Exemptions?
    No. Never have.
    Never? What about the cortisone?
    Well, obviously there was the cortisone
  • henri_iii
    henri_iii Posts: 4
    edited June 2010
    I seem to remember that someone worked out that Haussler would have won Milan San Remo last year if he had ridden straight and not deviated in the last 200m. He's hardly one to talk. They were both going straight, unfortunately they went straight into each other.

Haussler deviated to prevent Cavendish from coming up in his draft, not to obstruct him. It actually allowed Cavendish a straight run at the line in the last 30 meters or so.
  • henri_iii
    edited June 2010
    In the Tour de Suisse incident, Cavendish is no doubt predominantly to blame for the actual crash, and look at what happened at 175 meters before the finish.

Renshaw had nothing left to bring Cavendish up to speed. Coilek opens the sprint from behind with Haussler trailing. Cavendish then rides Haussler off the wheel of Ciolek, Haussler then re-takes control of Ciolek's wheel. Now Cavendish is accelerating while facefull in the wind whereas Haussler is taking a nice run on Ciolek.

Cavendish actually looked over at Haussler when they both had passed Ciolek and realized Haussler had more speed. He deviated from his line in a desperate effort to beat Haussler.

The latter would normally not have been a problem. However, Haussler had his head down. Granted, he moved over as well and in front of Ciolek, but mainly to prevent others from taking a run on him. Cavendish's move was significantly more aggressive and targeted Haussler.

Haussler would have won the stage, no doubt.
  • henri_iii
    edited June 2010
    PS: in my opinion, this incident itself was not worth holding a protest over, but there probably have been more Cavendish incidents that we all are not aware off.

He remains unbelievably fast though...
  • The Jack
    The Jack Posts: 52
    Mark Cavendish: Great sprinter but not a very nice person.
    "Wo ist mein Fahrrad?"

-Ralf Hutter of Kraftwerk waking up from a coma after a crashing with his bicycle-
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Clearly it was Cav's fault.

The protest is a bit odd tough - I can't beleive that Cav's sprinting puts other riders in danger. To my mind, it was clearly an accident, albeit the cause was Cav's dodgy line.

The protest seems to be representative of the under-current of resentment/dislike for Cav in the peleton generally, which is a shame. I've read for some time that riders from other teams don't take to his attitude, language, mouthing off (sometimes at his own team mates!) and general 'doesn't give a sh1t' mentality.

Whilst it's not a popularity contest, Cav (and HTC) can really do without becomming public enemy no.1, as what goes around comes around.

Cav to Sky next year. I can see it now - most unpopular rider in the peleton joins most unpopular team.....................they shoud replace Brailsford with Jose Mourinho and they'll have a full house!

:wink:
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    henri_iii wrote:
    In the Tour de Suisse incident, Cavendish is no doubt predominantly to blame for the actual crash, and look at what happened at 175 meters before the finish.

Renshaw had nothing left to bring Cavendish up to speed. Coilek opens the sprint from behind with Haussler trailing. Cavendish then rides Haussler off the wheel of Ciolek, Haussler then re-takes control of Ciolek's wheel. Now Cavendish is accelerating while facefull in the wind whereas Haussler is taking a nice run on Ciolek.

Cavendish actually looked over at Haussler when they both had passed Ciolek and realized Haussler had more speed. He deviated from his line in a desperate effort to beat Haussler.

The latter would normally not have been a problem. However, Haussler had his head down. Granted, he moved over as well and in front of Ciolek, but mainly to prevent others from taking a run on him. Cavendish's move was significantly more aggressive and targeted Haussler.

Now don't get me wrong, I think Cav was largely to blame for this. But how do you work this out? If Haussler had more speed how did Cav manage to position is front wheel under Hausler's if he wasn't slightly ahead of him?
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • henri_iii
    dulldave wrote:
    henri_iii wrote:

Now don't get me wrong, I think Cav was largely to blame for this. But how do you work this out? If Haussler had more speed how did Cav manage to position is front wheel under Hausler's if he wasn't slightly ahead of him?

After the 100 meter sign [and the first crosswalk], Haussler is a bit more than a bike length behind while at the 50 meter sign [second crosswalk], he has nearly pulled level with Cavendish, showing Haussler traveling at greater speed.

Also, Cavendish puts his left elbow in front of Haussler's handlebars. This causes Haussler to abruptly steer into Cavendish. Haussler then rides up Cavendish's wheel.

We are talking about a speed differential here of approximately 2 or 3 kph

Mano-a-mano, Cavendish is faster, but Haussler has had a much better run in the draft in this sprint. You can see Haussler even back off Ciolek for a fraction and shift before his final kick, while Cavendsh had his nose in the wind the whole time.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Good god - are we gonna get this every time theres a crash ?

Yeah seems to me - mostly Cavs fault - he was veering off (as anyone might if they're hitting 40mph+) - Haussler also veered a little too.

Racing incident - which ties in with the small fine that the commissaires gave out.

Anyway it was a lame crash compared to the ones of Abdou and Jalabert.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    So, Chav apparently spat on HH after the crash? Does he have any redeeming qualities? I don't care how nice his teeth look, the UCI should tighten their rules on allowing family members of convicted drug dealers to ride in the Pro tour.

He's gonna get his come uppance in the tour - it might be an "accident" but he's certainly marked now.

You can tell that CTT as a team don't like him, in their video on the T of Cali part 1 there's an interview snippet with HH which leads me to believe that beating him is high on their agenda.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Apparently Belgium commentators on the TdS were reporting he left the tour as his grandmother has died and was flying back tonight.
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    Where do you get this absurd accusation from that Cavendish spat on Haussler???
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    That's the principal of forums.
    In early posts he spits on the ground, middle posts at Haussler, late post on Haussler. If you pop back tomorrow I think you'll find he actually stabbed him repeatedly.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    dougzz wrote:
    That's the principal of forums.
    In early posts he spits on the ground, middle posts at Haussler, late post on Haussler. If you pop back tomorrow I think you'll find he actually stabbed him repeatedly.

I heard Sporza are reporting that Haussler's head is on a spike outside Douglas town hall. (at least that's what someone posted on cyclingnews, ......probably)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    henri_iii wrote:
    dulldave wrote:
    henri_iii wrote:

After the 100 meter sign [and the first crosswalk], Haussler is a bit more than a bike length behind while at the 50 meter sign [second crosswalk], he has nearly pulled level with Cavendish, showing Haussler traveling at greater speed.

Also, Cavendish puts his left elbow in front of Haussler's handlebars. This causes Haussler to abruptly steer into Cavendish. Haussler then rides up Cavendish's wheel.

We are talking about a speed differential here of approximately 2 or 3 kph

Mano-a-mano, Cavendish is faster, but Haussler has had a much better run in the draft in this sprint. You can see Haussler even back off Ciolek for a fraction and shift before his final kick, while Cavendsh had his nose in the wind the whole time.
    #

Have a look at this thread.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12709139

You'll see at the start of it that they're both about neck and neck. After that Cav pulls in front and stays in front until he basically rides into the side of Haussler.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Ahhh, the old "jealousy" rears it's head from the HTC team

http://www.universalsports.com/news/art ... 78429.html?

Why is it so difficult to just accept you did something wrong and apologise?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Because the crash *itself* was not 100% Cavendish.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    csp wrote:
    Where do you get this absurd accusation from that Cavendish spat on Haussler???
    Nothing to do with forum exaggeration, that's how it was originally reported...

http://www.eurosport.fr/cyclisme/tour-d ... news.shtml

Tour de Suisse
    16/06/2010 - 14:14
    Une grève anti-Cavendish

Le peloton du Tour de Suisse a fait grève ce matin au départ de la 5e étape pour protester contre l'attitude Mark Cavendish. Le sprinter britannique aurait craché sur Heinrich Haussler hier à l'arrivée, après l'accrochage entre les deux hommes. Le départ a ainsi été donné avec 5 minutes de retard.